PDA

View Full Version : Any experiences yet with the new Fisher-Price high chairs?

TeacherAmy
02-28-2006, 05:27 AM
We're overseas military, so I don't get to play with this stuff in person before buying (well, trying to buy from a place that will ship to us).

Because of the BB ratings, I was originally going with the Healthy Care Deluxe:
http://www.etoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/4711483/ctid/17?cpncode=12-6008071-2&srccode=cii_10043468

Then I really liked the looks of the new Easy Clean, but it looks seems like it will take up a ton of space (though easier to get up to the table):
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2002&e=closeup&selCat=bgh&pid=35236

This seems to be a new one, which may a great idea for a small, military base house. I'm just nervous because there aren't reviews yet (yes, I'm a Baby Bargains groupie in the worst way). I saw that some of you were going to try it out:
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2002&e=closeup&selCat=bgh&pid=35236

Moms, give me your advice!

mamaroo
02-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Oooh, DH and I just bought the Space Saver last night at Baby Depot! We weren't planning on replacing our high chair, but we just moved to an apartment from a house, and this saves us a TON of space! Plus we have a counter-top-height table, and this makes me feel better about DD sitting at the table with us when she gets bigger, since she can still be strapped in. Now we just have to figure out how to sell her huge Graco highchair (which we loved in our house).

DD is 16 months, 32" and 24 pounds. I need to install the larger crotch strap (it comes with two, so it can adjust with your baby) because the smaller one is too short. The 5-point straps seem to work well--a lot like the Graco. I like that it has three adjustable height settings, so we could adjust it so that the tray sits just over the table, and she can sit at the table with the family but still use the tray. Later we can drop the height so that she can just use the table. I also like the recline feature for smaller babies, and the tray adjusts to stay level while the seat reclines. The pad is easily removable to wash, and the top half of the seatback can come off when you use it as a booster (though I think I would probably leave it on so the kid has a back rest, KWIM?).

I can't give you any pros/cons for repeated use, because we have only used it for breakfast this morning, but so far I really like it! I'm looking forward to reading other reveiws!

Oh, and DH and I are safety freaks, and we strapped that baby to the chair so tight it isn't going anywhere! It has rubber grippies on the bottom so it doesn't slip. One strap goes under the seat and one goes around the back.

Hope that helps! :)

tjteems
03-01-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm in the market for a highchair for #2. We LOVE the FP booster we have for my son and he still uses it at age 2 1/2. It is perfect--wish I had never bought a "real" highchair b/c they are so big and hard to clean. But, the one he has doesn't work for little ones, so I've had my eye on the new Space Saver one, but like you, am searching for any reviews on it. It looks great, but I'm wondering if the pad will be a nightmare to clean. Sorry I don't have much help to offer, I'll be checking your post for other replies. I can definitely say a booster of some type is the way to go!

cimberdog
05-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I bought this about a month ago (the space saver) at Target. So far, we really like it! The pad is vinyl on the front and has that white cottony backing so yes, food sticks to it and it does get stained, but it is machine washable.

On the sides, they lift up so food does get underneath the pad a little more than a standard high chair (we have the older Fisher Price Healthy Care -- or whatever that's called). We too had to install the longer crotch strap right away. My son is 15 months old, 23 pounds and 33" long. The straps are on the top\highest setting and we won't be able to use it much longer. They are tight on him if he leans forward at all.

The tray is nice with two cupholders\indentations on the sides (one on each). My son likes to put his sippy cup there when he's not throwing it on the floor. It also makes it harder for him to 'windshield wiper' all his food off the tray :)

It easily attaches to the chair with two belts - one underneath and one behind. The straps stay tight and are solidly buckled.

The tray is a little flimsy - it's not as big or heavy duty as a regular high chair just because the whole setup is smaller and more compact. It does clip in nicely, although you need to be sure it clicks firmly into place on each side. It can click, but not lock sometimes.

The chair does have a tilt option which is really nice. We don't use it since he is older, but it would be a great setup for a baby! I would recommend this chair for sure! I'm just sad we can't use it longer, as DS is tall and is now into my older son's Kinderzeat -- so I just ordered him a Tripp Trapp.

Hope this helps!

Kelli

mariza
05-03-2006, 09:11 PM
There are several threads about this chair vs. other FP chairs. Here are a few:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=50998&mesg_id=50998&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=49815&mesg_id=49815&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=47091&mesg_id=47091&listing_type=search

I also wrote a review on Target.com you can find it here. My review is under the name "babygear mom" HTH!
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=cm_reviews_dptop_next/602-9285469-8557452?%5Fencoding=UTF8&sortOption=-SubmissionDate&alt%5Fview=custReviews&asin=B000BXAI08&start=11

Or, you can skip all this research and just save yourself some time. Go buy this chair :)

pb&j
05-11-2006, 09:34 AM
We just got the Space Saver for DS. He's 4 mos old, and while he's not eating solid food yet, he loves being at the table with us during meal time. I love that it's a full-featured high chair, yet doesn't take up any extra space in the kitchen. We've got him reclined a little, since he's not sitting up on his own yet. It looks like there's a good possibility that food will get caught between the pad and the seat, but the pad is vinyl, easy to clean, and easy to remove. So far, I'm very happy with it, and would recommend it without reservation.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

longtallsally
09-08-2006, 10:56 AM
We are also overseas military, and decided to get the Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair because we don't have a lot of room in our apartment. DD has used it for a couple of weeks now, so I can give a little feedback.

Pros:

It seems to work fine as a high chair. It straps to our government-issue dining chair securely, and DD fits well in the high chair. The high chair has a 5 pt restraint, as well as a passive restraint (between baby's legs), so baby won't slip out while you are buckling/unbuckling. The tray fits close enough to baby's torso that food won't end up in her lap. The tray is dishwasher safe. Non-offensive color/pattern on chair pad. Chair pad is light beige vinyl EXCEPT for the trim (see below). Height adjustable and reclinable high chair. Chair costs only $50 at Walmart.com and yes, they will ship it to your APO address via USPS for another $10.

Cons:

Owner's manual says DO NOT MACHINE WASH the chair pad, just wipe clean. Bummer, because the chair pad is vinyl with light beige CLOTH trim!!! I'm pretty sure that cloth will get yucky and stained the first time DD eats spaghetti. Looks like I'll have to order an extra seat cover for that inevitability! Also, DD loves to chew on the restraint straps; fine for now but that means they will be yucky in no time. Only one tray, no removable dishwasher-safe inserts. The tray mechanism seems a little rickety, and the supposed one-hand tray removal button doesn't work well; better to use both hands to snap tray on/off using side latches. Haven't used it as a booster seat yet, as DD is only 6 months old.

Overall, I think it does a good job of saving space. I'm not sure it will stand up to the abuse of daily use over a long period of time. I hope it gets DD through 2 years and I can get a FP Healthy Care High Chair when we get back to the States.

HTH!

mariza
09-08-2006, 11:25 AM
I machine wash mine all the time. Unless they changed somethig it should have washing instructions on the underside of the pad. Mine says yo macine wash cold, gentle cycle. We've had ours for about 11 months now and still love it.

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1" DD 1/05
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

mariza
09-08-2006, 11:25 AM
I machine wash mine all the time. Unless they changed somethig it should have washing instructions on the underside of the pad. Mine says yo macine wash cold, gentle cycle. We've had ours for about 11 months now and still love it.

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1" DD 1/05
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06