PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Outside Toys? PLEASE add to my pitiful list!!!

lynettefrancois
02-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I got nada for spring/summer at TRU today. I'm dying to get outside. We didn't play much outside last summer in TN because of the large dogs roaming our neighborhood, uneven decking, and flight of splintery stairs to get down to the lawn. Now we're in Atlanta, DD is 27 months and I have NO IDEA what to get her for outside toys, and don't really have anything from last year. Our neighborhood has a giant playset and pool, so I was thinking just a slide for our house (her playground fav) instead of a playset.

Pretty please, please, please give me some more ideas! FYI, only our smallish backyard is level, and we already have a Kettler (she doesn't pedal yet, and now refuses for me to push her).

Here's what I'm thinking so far:
Stiff plastic baby pool- with slide?
Naturally playful Sand and Water table + sand toys
Slide (Step2 Naturally playful unless someone talks me out of it)
Play Brooms, Rakes, gardening tools
Outdoor cars/trucks
A few more balls

Umm, is that enough? She doesn't play with many toys very long, so I'd like to have a decent selection. She loves water, but all I have are bathtub toys. What essentials am I missing? Any specific items/brand suggestions appreciated!!! TIA!

brittone2
02-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Sounds like plenty!!

DS just turned 2. Last summer his favorite was the pool. When he plays outside now (pretty frequently) the current fav is his sandbox (too cold for a pool in NC just yet ;) ), being pushed on a small toddler swing hung from a tree, and just generally roaming around picking up pinecones, acorns, leaves, looking for bugs, etc. We have a creek bordering the very back of our property, so that involves a walk through the woods to get tehre. He loves that, but once it is tick season, I'll probably have to find another way to get there without trekking through the forest.

He likes using brooms, rakes, and gardening tools, and watering my plants with a watering can. He likes playing in our shed ;) He loves to throw toys for our dog. He's currently loving being pushed on his trike but he just got it 2 weeks ago so it may just be a novelty right now ;)

In his sandbox he likes playing with several nesting funnels, shovels, and some big Tonka-type trucks (a cement mixer and a dump truck).

I think the list you have is plenty long to keep a 2 year old busy and happy outside :) Have fun!!

ett
02-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I agree that's a great list and will definitely keep your DD busy.

Some other suggestions not on your list:
- Bubbles - DS loved it when I blew bubbles.
- toy lawnmover - We picked one up at Target for around $10 last year.
- wheelbarrow
- sidewalk chalk

lynettefrancois
03-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Picked up the sand and water table today, and now have chalk, bubbles, wheelbarrow, and a few other new ones on my list because of your help. :D Thanks a bunch!