PDA

View Full Version : Playsilks for a one year old?

traciann
03-01-2006, 01:12 AM
I have read several threads about playsilks, and I am really intrigued by them. I am thinking about what I want to get DD's first birthday in a couple of months. I don't have a lot of room for big stuff, and I figured its not something else someone would buy. So is this something she might enjoy now, or should I wait a while longer?

I am considering bumbershootbaby..she has a rainbow that has 2 of each size she carries.

Thanks!
Traci

julieakc
03-01-2006, 01:30 AM
If she enjoys Peek-a-boo she will enjoy them...they are so soft and fun to pull over your head.

elliput
03-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Yes, your DD will enjoy silks for her birthday.

I just finished Kool-aid dyeing some silks for DD this past weekend and DD loves them. I made our first silks just after her birthday, she is now almost 14 months. DD enjoys pulling them out of things such as the o-ball, shape sorter, stacking cups, the case her Pedoodles came in, etc. She also likes to cover things - the cat, my head, her head, other silks. I'll toss one up in the air and DD laughes as it floats down. Playsilks are a great sensory toy.

kochh2
03-01-2006, 08:24 PM
playsilks are so much fun... Our 19 month old LOVES his.. we have them in every room i think!! He has so larger, 44 inch squares, and some 30 inches or so.. I ordered a bunch of blanks from dharma trading, and my organic food co-op had a tie dye party, where i had a blast dyeing them all sorts of fun shades with the dharma procion dyes!! he loves them!! I think it is cool to be able to be creative and make your own, but even if you end up buying ready made ones, it is a great investment!!
:)

Saartje
03-02-2006, 01:00 AM
I just want to add — though many babies love the silks they get for first birthday gifts, don't be disappointed if your DD doesn't care for them right away. Every child has her own developmental curve; my son didn't care for play silks until fairly recently (he's 21 months now), but he did get there, and they'll have a lot of play value as he gets older. (He was ahead of the curve on liking toys with wheels, though — I think that was the main thing he had against the playsilks after his birthday.)

traciann
03-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone!

I think that I will just add a couple of scarves to the kindermusik order i was thinking about placing. Its a much smaller investment, and if she likes them later on I can order more.

Traci

MirandaMoes
03-02-2006, 02:10 PM
hi! where did you find the kindermusik scarves? I looked at the web site but could not find them. I even asked our km teacher but she was not sure. my dd loves them in class!
Thanks!
Miranda

traciann
03-02-2006, 02:19 PM
here you go...i went under them shopping tab, and they have a section for them.

http://www.kindermusik.com/store/trans/productListingRpt.asp?CatID=1900

what kind does your DD play with? they have the smaller and bigger ones. They have a set that has one of each. I was thinking of getting that one.

how does your dd like kindermusik? i was thinking about attending one. dh is a band director and we are all over anything music.

NatalieM
03-02-2006, 02:30 PM
I was just thinking about DD's birthday gifts and playsilks will definitely be on the list! She does love playing peek-a-boo with us with a sheet or blanket or whatever is available. I don't think you can really go wrong with them. And I definitely love the fact that they don't need batteries or make any annoying noises! :-)

Here is the link to the scarves the PP mentioned. I know that bumbershootbaby.com (BBB mama) also sells them. I want to get the rainbow playsilks. HTH

http://www.kindermusik.com/store/trans/productListingRpt.asp?CatID=1900

ETA- Traci, I just read your whole post and saw that you already knew about bumbershootbaby. We were thinking the same thing about the rainbow playsilks!

MirandaMoes
03-02-2006, 02:31 PM
thanks!

MirandaMoes
03-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi!
We have gone to class since Marisa was 2 months or so. (she'll be one net month) (i needed to get out of the house and we had not lived her elong so I knew no one!) We have enjoyed it a lot. I think we may take the summer off since she is a little older there is more we can do but over all enjoy the classes. They are a bit pricey though in my opinion. I like the km scarves becasue they are sheer and my dd seems to like that. I may get these and some play silks, we'll see. I may get both sizes as well.
Thanks!
Miranda