PDA

View Full Version : Help me with 4yo birthday party!!

schums
03-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm trying to plan my DS 4th birthday party, and am getting a little stuck. So far, we've only had small family parties, but he really wants a "friend" one this year (which is fine with me). I'm just not sure how exactly to plan it. I want it very low key and informal.

So far, here's the plan:
There will be DS and DD, plus 5 other kids (all from playgroup, ages 2 1/2 to 4 1/2), plus parents, my parents and brother. The theme is Scooby-doo (DS's choice). I'm having it either on Saturday or Sunday afternoon from 1-3ish (first weekend in April). Cake and ice cream will be served, perhaps with "Scooby snacks" if I get creative with the cookie cutter. We have a houseful of toys for the kids to play with. If the weather is nice (we're in Michigan), the kids can go play outside on the swingset, etc. We'll probably open gifts, but I'm flexible on this.

Am I missing anything? Do I need a craft or entertainment or anything? More food? Any input would be most appreciated!!

TIA,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

crl
03-01-2006, 09:19 PM
I think I'd be inclined to serve some fruit or cheese and crackers--just to have an alternative to the sugar.

We did not open gifts at our neighborhood (4 kids' birthdays celebrated at once) party and I think it was a good decision. I think it is hard for the kids not getting presents to understand at this age. Just my opinion though.

If the weather is good, bubbles are fun. But really, I don't think a craft or entertainment is necessary or even likely to be particularly appreciated by this age group.

Have a lot of fun and take a lot of pictures!

JacksMommy
03-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Sounds perfect. Kids at that age don't need special entertainment to be entertained, esp the younger ones.

My only thought is that many kids take naps from 1-3 - that wouldn't be a good time for our household.

It's definitely nice (but not required) to have nosh, cheese and crackers, crudite, etc. As an alternative to sugar another kids for kids (and parents) to do.

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

kalebsmama
03-02-2006, 03:33 PM
We just had a 4th birthday party for DS and I got a ton of ideas from this site.
http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/

They have lots of suggestions for any theme you can think of! Ours was a construction theme! It was also the first party with friends and we had it from 1-3pm. My kids are almost the same ages as yours! It worked really well although DD still naps at that time and was pretty tired!

We had fruit, veggies and cheese out and served cake and ice cream. It was plenty.

Good luck!

alkagift
03-02-2006, 08:12 PM
I think it sounds like plenty of fun things to do, and you don't need to come up with crafts necessarily. A group with that wide an age span isn't likely to be able to attend to a craft anyway.

I second the idea of additional food--for the parents, especially, who may not be wild about cake. I'm not saying you have to go crazy, but fruit, cheese and crackers (which the kids will sneak and it will be fine) would be nice. The time would also be hard for us, since we still have naps at my house--how many kids are still napping that you'd have? If it's more than one or two, I would move the time to 3-5.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO.

winifredzb
03-03-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm also planning my 4 year old's birthday. I'm thinking of playing some games -- any suggestions?

Thank You!

PS -- I second the idea of not opening gifts -- it is really boring for the other kids.

schums
03-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all your ideas. I think only 1 kid actually still naps with any regularity, so I think the time will be ok. And I can't really change the time without changing the date -- the Final Four games are on the same day, and they start at 6ish, and I know at least some of the parents will be going places to watch the games.

I will definitely plan on having other, non-sugary foods for folks to munch on. I was at the grocery store last night and saw Scooby Doo bone shaped graham crackers, so I'll grab those and put them in a bowl for the kids. And I'll do cheese and (regular) crackers also -- I'm thinking of cutting the cheese into dog-treat shapes using a cookie cutter. Anyone know where to get a little bone shaped cookie cutter? I'll also put some grapes or other fruit out.

Anything else I should add?

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

alkagift
03-04-2006, 02:36 PM
I've ordered cake pans from this catalog and they have bone cookie cutters, and they look small enough for cheese.

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=CS1947

To save yourself some shipping, though, you should check your local JoAnn's, Michael's, or wherever they sell cake decorating supplies, they often have fun cookie cutters too, since Wilton makes one, although it might be too big for your cheese:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E316C65-475A-BAC0-5EBB1960E3DA2FC0

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO.

alkagift
03-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Do you have a theme in mind? There are games suggested in relation to specific themes at the Family Fun magazine website or the birthday party ideas the other poster mentioned.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

Are you TTC and want to share with BBB friends? Join us! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB_TTC/

Webmule
03-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Scooby Snacks: check your grocery. I don't remember who makes them, nabisco or keebler, but there is a cinnamon/graham cookie shaped like a little bone with Scooby Do on the box.

kathy

deannanb
03-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Here are a few games I just thought of with dog themes..

Pin the dog in the dog house a scooby doo pinatta (sp?)- kids may be too young
make dog houses (gingerbread houses)
(grahm crackers and icing)
Fetch - get some tennis balls and have the kids take turns throwing and "fetching" the balls (outside if it is nice)

Anyone know where to get a little bone shaped cookie cutter?

Try a speciality pet store for a cookie cutter - www.threedog.com