PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a wooden swingset from TRU? Have you seen displays?

brittone2
03-04-2006, 02:44 PM
This is probably a shot in the dark, but I'll try anyway ;) We are considering a swingset for DS, but with DH in grad school our budget is limited. We considered building one out of cedar (DH is very handy), but depending on the price we may buy instead.

Something like Cedarworks or Rainbow is definitely out of the budget. I checked out Costco's set they sell in-store last year, and again this year. That is definitely getting to the upper end of our price range at $1200 ish.

I saw the TRU circular that came out recently and they have one listed for $799 that I like. I think it mentions the deck is cedar, but I'm not sure about the rest of it. I'm certain it is not comparable to Rainbow or Cedarworks in terms of quality, but i'm okay with that provided it is a decent set that will last 5 years or so. I called our local store, and they have that model in stock, but there is no display because they don't have much room for displays outside. I was wondering if anyone has seen this set in person at their store or if anyone owns a similar one? ( I can't find any online pics but it was pictured in the recent coupon book/advertising booklet).

AmyZ
03-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi Beth --
My neighbors up the street have this one from Walmart for $400. It is wooden, and it has done a decent job of holding up to lots of kids playing on it pretty hard. I don't know if it would last for 5 years, but if you don't have too many big kids playing really tearing it apart, it just might last. I doubt it would fall apart, but the wood might get a bit splinter-y.
I had a metal one growing up - and I really loved it. Another neighbor has a super-cheap metal one and her kids have enjoyed it.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3518001

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

brittone2
03-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks, Amy. I'll have to read more about it...I just want to make sure whatever we get it doesn't have arsenic, etc. like the old pressure treated stuff. I doubt they are using those materials anymore in new swingsets but that's what pushes me toward cedar (one of several reasons).

That set is cute though and the price is right :) I'll add that to my list of ones to think more about!

muskiesusan
03-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Beth, I am sure you have already researched this, but in case you haven't, Cedarworks has a line of swingsets that is made from round logs that look similiar to the metal type sets. These are much cheaper than the regular sets, but I can't find my price sheet, so I am unclear how much they run.

Also, I know that this would be at the upper end of the price range you listed ($1200), but, for about that, I *think* could get a Cedarwork Climber with a yardarm for the swing (if this doesn't make since, let me know, lol). It's not the complete setup, but you could add on in the years to come and move it with you.

Just some thoughts.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

brittone2
03-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Susan. I'll check into that more. I haven't looked that closely at Cedarworks since I assumed it was pretty much out of my budget.

traciann
03-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Beth,

We are also looking at wooden swingsets...I saw a cedarworks play a round version at a really good price $999 including shipping. They only have 2 sets, but they both look great to me. If we could afford this one, I would totally get it!

http://www.playaround-swingsets.com/swingsets/detail.php?s=LT

brittone2
03-05-2006, 10:42 PM
I really like that one and the price is reasonable for what it is. It is more than we want to spend but it is a really nice set for that price.

DH seems convinced that he'd like to do it himself. I think he's totally capable but we have to officially calculate what the cost of buying all of the cedar and materials will be before we can make an official decision.

Thanks so much for that link. I have it bookmarked :)

zoestargrove
03-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Beth, we are researching the same thing right now. My dh also wants to build one on his own. (thinks he can build better for cheaper, but can't be sure until we price out the lumber and parts. Will you keep us posted with what you find out? I'll do the same.

Kelly

brittone2
03-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Sounds good Kelly!! We have to trek out to find cedar at a place that is about 45 mins away...it has been hard to find the 4x4s anywhere very local to us.

I think it will still be quite pricey because I don't want pressure-treated, but if DH builds it we have the option to start small and add on later possibly.

Or...I may throw it all out the window and buy a cheap-o metal set for DS to use for a few years ;) I'll definitely keep you posted...I'd love to know what you decide.

zoestargrove
03-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Beth, we priced out cedar 4x4s over the weekend. 10ft posts are $45each.

we roughly estimated we'd need 10 posts totaling $450...and at least another $100 for different cuts of lumber.

add a slide, swings, etc..and the cost of building your own starts to creep up there.

although I still think the idea of building HIS own appeals to my dh, I'm sold on the cedarworks playaround system as a great deal. We put aside some tax money for something fun for the family and although, at the time...I was thinking it would consist of a little beach vacation, I think that our family will get a lot of use out of a playset the next few years.

In another post, I noticed you mentioned your son loves to slide. If you build your own, you can always add on..maybe this year...you build a raised fort and buy the slide you want...you can save on costs by not adding a roof this year..and next year you can add the swings and roof?

there are so many choices, its really overwhelming.

Tondi G
03-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Have you checked out this site?

They have the plans and all the hardware/accessories... you buy your own lumber!

http://store.yahoo.com/byoswingset/index.html

HTH's you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05