PDA

View Full Version : exersaucers?

jhrabosk
03-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Well, my MIL went out and bought DD an exersaucer. The fact that she made such a purchase without consulting us is another issue entirely that DH will have to deal with at an appropriate time. :P Since it's still unclear about whether she plans to keep it at her house (where we go only once every few months) or intends to send it home with us, I haven't made a big stink yet.

There's a mention in Baby Bargains about evidence that it can delay some development. Anyone have any experience or know where I can find support on that?

Or, on the flip side, anyone love theirs and think it's a great investment?

DH doesn't understand my aversion to this big plastic toy in our already small and crowded apartment.

Thanks!
Jessica

elliput
03-06-2006, 11:37 AM
We were given an exersaucer, and I used it for two purposes. Someplace to safely put DD so I could grab a shower, and someplace to safely put DD when I wanted to check e-mail. Okay that is really one purpose! :-) We definitely did not use ours every day, though now DD likes to stand on the outside of it and play with the toys occaisionally.

It does take up quite a bit of floor space. Hopefully your MIL will decide to keep it at her place or you can convince her to take it back and get something more practical for your situation.

MarisaSF
03-06-2006, 12:09 PM
We got an exersaucer when DD was about 4-5 mos. Around that time she really wanted to be up, but wasn't steady enough to hold herself up (and frankly, my arms got tired holding her up all day). In the cruising stage, she would cruise around it and play with the toys from the outside.

DD is now 19 months and we still put her in it when we shower. We were in a small apt too. When not in use (most of the time), we kept toys in it. Extra storage... yay!

I think the developmental rule is don't keep baby in it all the time. But you wouldn't do that anyway, I assume. I think they say 20 minutes a day max? Everything in moderation, you know?

Investment-wise, well, I got mine used for $10 off craigslist. Looking back, it was worth more, but I liked the recycling aspect.

MarisaSF
03-06-2006, 12:09 PM
dp

kusiakje
03-06-2006, 01:11 PM
We have a small place too, but still decided to squeeze in an exersaucer. To help conserve space a bit, we got one that can be collapsed. It's still the same diameter, but it basically can squeeze down to about five or six inches so I can throw it in a closet or behind the couch when I need the space.

We use our exersaucer mainly when DD would rather fuss than take the nap that she clearly wants and needs. Usually, she's pretty good about napping, but for those few occasions when she wants to fight the fatigue, I love the exersaucer. DD immediately stops fussing when she goes into the exersaucer. She happily occupies herself with various toys, spins herself around in the seat so she can get to each one in turn. She acts like it's the best place in the whole world. Within 5 or 10 minutes, she's calmed down and tired herself out a bit more so that she seems to finally feel like taking her nap.

Some days, it's really a lifesaver. I can only do the bounce and rock with an 18 pound baby for so long, KWIM?

HTH,
Jessica
Mom to Katarina (DOB 9/16/05)

Canna
03-06-2006, 01:22 PM
We live in an apartment too, and had reservations about exersaucers. We ended up borrowing one from a family member for a couple of months. Our DD was never very interested in it. I think she figured out quickly that it was a "baby jail" and protested when she was put in it. And it never occupied her for very long - not that we would have felt comfortable leaving her in it for longer than a few minutes anyway, because we were concerned about its impact on her development. Soooo, overall it took up a lot of space, was ugly, and not very useful. We were happy to return it and were glad that we didn't get one of our own.

JBaxter
03-06-2006, 01:48 PM
We loved ours ( I had one for ds2 who is 11also). It was great for when I was cooking showering folding clothes etc or really anything I couldnt go pick him up. We have the one that can fold down and I loved taking it along to my moms ( or anyplace I didnt want Nathan crawling around) I dont know about delaying development but he walked at 10 1/2 months after a while it was more fun to walk around than be in. I think he liked it because he could rotate and see me where ever I was in the room.

brittone2
03-06-2006, 01:48 PM
If your child is hitting milestones fine and doesn't seem particularly floppy or stiff (and isn't a preemie or at risk of delays) then a max of 20 mins a day is probably fine. Just be aware of how fast that time adds up...5 mins here, 10 mins there, 15 mins while you make dinner, 10 mins while you shower, etc. Definitely remove the child before he/she looks tired/fatigued (don't let DC slump over sideways for example). They don't enhance motor development in any way (the type of "standing" that happens in a saucer or walker is very different from what happens during "active" standing (such as holding onto a couch for support). The muscle activation patterns are very very different.

I understand a mama's need to shower just like anyone else, believe me :) Since you asked for "evidence" though I included a link with some of the studies I came across when I researched this topic. Many of the studies were done on walkers, but the patterns of muscle activation, etc. would be very similar in a saucer.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=34426&mesg_id=34427&page=

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=46200&mesg_id=46200&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=33735&mesg_id=33735&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=31653&mesg_id=31653&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=32146&mesg_id=32146&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=28710&mesg_id=28710&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=13381&mesg_id=13381&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=12&topic_id=9788&mesg_id=9823&page=

Raidra
03-06-2006, 02:40 PM
I've used the same exersaucer for both boys, and absolutely love it.

With Colwyn, he played in it during computer time and occasionally while I cooked meals. When he was old enough to crawl, he really loved sitting underneath it. Then when he was old enough to pull up and cruise, he loved playing with it on the outside, and still does occasionally show interest in it now at 2 years. When he was about 10 months or so, I started putting him in it to watch Singing Time while I showered, and we did that for quite a while.

Lachlann mainly uses it now while my husband showers in the morning. It gives me a few extra minutes in bed to cuddle with Colwyn. It lives in the bathroom, so it's easy for me to put him in it if I have to go to the bathroom real quick.. Lachlann does *not* like being out of my sight. He will sit in it happily for a bit while I cook dinner, but I don't normally bring it out of the bathroom because it's a hassle. :)

Both kids were/are somewhat advanced in skills like crawling, walking, etc. I think it's fine so long as it's in moderation and there aren't already developmental concerns.

clc053103
03-06-2006, 03:46 PM
DS has the Baby Einstein one (which I highly reccommend- he also has the Evenflo Exersaucer one at MIL's and he doesn't like it- I think it's just too busy). I love it and think it's a fantastic investment. I definitely limit the time DS spends in it- but I think it's been good for his development. He was able to stand self-supported quickly- his cousin who did not have an exersaucer had no leg strength and would literally crumble if you tried to stand him up. He improved greatly when they got the exersaucer.

I'm a big believer in everything in moderation- I think DS may even spend (GASP!) 30 minutes a day in it (not all at once). But you will love it to keep your child entertained long enough to throw together a meal or use the bathroom!

hobokenmom
03-07-2006, 10:00 AM
I am a big believer in everything in moderation, so clearly I believe in exersaucers as a safe place to put your baby when you may need to step out of sight for a moment.

We actually had three exersaucers at one time (none of which I actually spent money on). I live in a 4 story brick rowhouse, and I had an exersaucer on each floor. We do a ton of running up and down the stairs to get stuff on different floors, and I need somewhere safe to stash my son for a few minutes.

I didn't want to install five thousand gates at every door or stair entrance so this was my answer. Even if I had installed gates all over, I still couldn't step out of the room as I don't believe in completely childproofing your whole house.

Now at 19 months, my son is perfectly capable of going up and down stairs completely by himself, and we don't have any exersaucers anymore. So.....my only safe place to stash him if I need to run upstairs for a moment is in his highchair.

I guess my point is, you have to do what you feel is right for YOUR family. I totally believe in exersaucers for short periods of time.

oliviasmomma
03-07-2006, 12:11 PM
I was very opposed to them before we had DD last April. One was handed down to us, and it has been a lifesaver at times! I also use it to get a quick shower or while making dinner, and started to use it at 5 months old. That said, I have a minor in Psych, and learned in my child development classes that they really can impede development if used often. A good friend has a daughter about the same age, and uses the saucer waaayyy too much. Our girl is cruising and almost standing alone at 10 months, while hers is not crawling yet. I think it is easy to use them as a crutch if you aren't careful--esp. if your DC likes it like ours does. We started using the kitchen timer to make sure she wasn't in it for more than 10-15min at a time, and I was suprised at how little time that seemed the first time I did it!

mommato2boys
03-07-2006, 03:34 PM
I have used exersaucers for both of my boys, no problems at all. For a time period they are pretty much the greatest things ever!!!! You can't hold the child all the time, and every mother needs a shower!!!! They are great for when I am making dinner, I could put him in the exersaucer in a safe area and I could cook and watch him and he could see what was going on. I think everything in moderation is fine.

californiagirl
03-07-2006, 03:51 PM
I guess we're the exception. We didn't have an exersaucer and didn't miss it. I took showers while my DH was home, or with her in a bouncy seat, or in a playpen, or in the shower with me. I carried her a lot, sometimes pretty much all day long, but mostly in a sling. We found a SuperYard really useful, and we liked the Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler rocker (although she spent more like 30 minutes a week than 30 minutes a day in it).

brittone2
03-07-2006, 05:54 PM
That's what we did. DS used the bouncy seat (not a jumper, I mean the recliner-esque things for babies) while I showered. As he outgrew that, he used the PNP while I showered. He then ended up showering with me, and then I'd put some water in the tub and he'd play in there while I got ready (still in the room with him). We also used the sling a lot, and we still sling at 2 y/o. I know they can be life savers for moms, but I also think there are lots of other alternatives if you are open to them.

kozachka
03-09-2006, 04:11 PM
We used an exersauser. I was very opposed to having DS spend any time at all in one but after it was recommended to us at DS' 4 months appointment by our pediatrician I gave in and went to BRU with DH and DS to pick out one. By the time DS was 3.5 months all he wanted to do was stand and he could not even sit yet! I tried to sabotage the idea by not unpacking the exersaucer all the time hoping things will get better. After two weeks, my mom just pulled the box out of garage and assembled it for me. My back was killing me, my arms were aching, I needed some relief.

DS loved his exersaucer and, I have to confess, spent more than 20 mins a day in it but never more than he wanted. I don't think that slowed DS development though. He started cruising on the day he turned 8 months and was really good at getting around. The exersaucer saw most use between the time DS was 4.5 and 7 months and overall was worth the investment although DH and I had a few arguments about him using it too much. We never had a bouncer and did not get a highchair until DS was over 8 months (and I was too scared to leave DS there by himself anyway) so the exersaucer was my only savior for when DH was not around/willing to help.

We had a somewhat similar situation when MIL bought a walker for DS' for the last few days of our one-week visit to her house. No matter what I said about walkers being bad for babies she had it packed and on the plane with us. I returned it to TRU where it was purchased from and after adding some money purchased a highchair for DS. When MIL asked about the fate of the walker during her visit few months later I told her DS was not interested in it since he liked his exersaucer, which was very similar to the walker, better and instead we bought him a highchair. MIL was happy to 'gift' DS a very useful and big highchair so that was the end of it. Family crisis avoided.

smilla653
03-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Yup. We do all these things and I have never missed not having an exersaucer. I think there's also something to be said for not propping a baby up in a position they can't yet get into themselves.

However, in terms of what to do re. the unwanted gift from family, I have OFTEN suggested when visiting my Mom and she buys some weird thing I don't exactly approve of that we "keep it as a special toy at her house" and she seems to actually like that (I thin kshe likes having things around that remind her of the baby). I also hint to everyone that we don't have a lot of space. I feel like that comes off better than getting into a philosophical discussion with family that may make them feel judged.