PDA

View Full Version : How long did you continue to do signs?

KrisM
03-08-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm wondering if we should get the new Signing Time DVDs coming out or not. DS knows over 100 signs, and lots more words. He generally signs and speaks when he knows both the sign and the word.

So, until what age do you do signs? If we get the new ones, will that help keep him interested enough until the baby is ready to start learning them?

murpheyblue
03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
DD is two and a half and we still sign with her. We treat ASL as a second language and I think it's a useful skill to ahve well beyond the first year of life. She signs much less now that she is verbal but like your DS she often signs and speaks the word. We try to keep it fresh by introducing new signs. For example, DD likes to sing the alphabet song so I sign the letters as we sing. She doesn't have the dexterity to do a lot of the letter signs well but she recognizes them and does her own version of them. The new DVDs may help in that regard and we're considering them though I need to check what signs they cover. We're hopeful that DD will be interested in teaching the new baby to sign when that time comes.

mudder17
03-08-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm basically in the same boat. I've always found ASL to be fascinating, so I am treating it as a second language for Kaya, but not pushing anything. She's definitely speaking quite well right now and doesn't really have to sign that much, but she seems to enjoy doing it. In fact, she seems to sign when she wants to emphasize something--it's really cute. If she doesn't know a sign, but she really likes the word, she'll try to make up a sign. It's pretty funny to watch her. But I try to remember which signs she wants to know and then I'll try looking them up to teach her. She loves the Signing Time DVDs so that may be part of it, but I just figure I'll continue doing signs with her so that by the time a new baby comes along, she'll be able to sign to the baby.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

kath68
03-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Same here. We are learning the second language along with Charlie. It keeps it fresh. I never thought it would last this long for us, but it has.

lisams
03-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Over three years old here, and she has become even more interested in signing!

I think I'm going to preorder the next set, I know she'll love them!

erosenst
03-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Abby's very verbal - but still enjoys using signs. She'll also use them when she really wants to make a point. She's at the point where some of them appear to be "unconscious", too - not quite sure how to describe it -but almost automatic (?)

We won't be having another, so I would have stopped using signs - but am now tempted to keep her "conversant" in them! She's now at the point of starting to make the letters when she sings the ABC song - and half the time she sings the end of the Signing Times ABC song rather than the more traditional one - pretty cute.

KrisM
03-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone. I think DS will get the new DVDs for his birthday!

ETA: We saw one of the new ones today on PBS and he was thrilled with watching it. Although "awake" looks a lot like "surprise" to me. I have to check this!

cpapay
03-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Hello!

When did you all start teaching signs to your little ones? I'm a new mommy and signing is very interesting to me.

TIA

carrie

murpheyblue
03-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Carrie:

If you do a search of signing you will find lots of informative posts. Any time can be an ideal time to start. Personally, we started around 6 months but many families have had equal success starting much later. The potential downside to starting young is that you may have to wait longer to see you shild sign back, e.g. if you start at 6 months a child may not sign back until 9 months but if you start at 9 months you may see a sign at 10. The keys are repitition and persistance. Signing is wonderful and the time you put in is paid off manyfold.

The DVDs from Signing Time are great and babies and toddlers really enjoy them.

Good luck!

saschalicks
03-09-2006, 07:16 PM
We started at 13 months and DS loves loves loves his signing vidoes even now at 20 months.

Vajrastorm
03-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Us too. We're treating ASL as a second language. Dd is 2 and a half and we're still learning new signs.

Eloise36
03-10-2006, 07:16 AM
DS is 2 1/2 and we're still signing. He is vocal but loves signing and will often do the word and the sign. I can't say enough good things about the Signing Times DVDs - I think he learned his colors and ABCs from them. We will continue signing with him so he learns ASL as a second language. His preschool teaches ASL, and he can also take ASL classes in his elementary school, middle and high school as our school district offers ASL as a second language. We will definitely preorder the new DVDs so we get them when they come out.