PDA

View Full Version : Birthday gift for a 5 year old?

Mabster
03-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Hi! My DD (age 2) was just invited to a birthday party for a family friend's kid who will be turning 5. No clue as to what is appropriate for this age and what kids like. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

EDITED TO ADD: It's a little girl! Should have included that before!

ett
03-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Is the birthday party for a boy or a girl? I have 2 5 year old nephews and these are some of the things I got for Christmas/birthday:

- Legos
- puzzles
- board games
- Dinosaur pop up book by Robert Sabuda
- Magnetix
- books

redhookmom
03-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Have you seen those Barbie like dolls at Target (as well as other places) They are called Only Hearts. They are a nice sweet version of a Barbie dolls. They are made out of cloth and come with accessories.

mominma
03-10-2006, 09:43 AM
My nieces are 4 and 5 and my son is 5, so we have been buying many gifts for girls this age. Some big hits were Polly Pockets, arts and crafts activity kits, barbie items, or board games.

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03
It's a GIRL 8/30/05

ctmom
03-10-2006, 11:54 AM
My dd just turned so I have some suggestions! She loves Groovy Girls and Barbies. Dress up stuff, Learn to Read books, clothes and arts supplies are always welcome in my house! Her two favorite board games that she got for her b-day were Trouble and Disney Princess Monopoly, we play them both at least once a day!

HTH!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

new_mommy25
03-10-2006, 12:57 PM
I think the Groovy Girls are darling. I bought a princess one recently.

Other thoughts: board games, puzzles, books, magazine subscription, a kite..

saoirse00
03-10-2006, 03:21 PM
I also have a 5 year old DD and at her birthday party some of the things she was given were Barbies, Polly Pocket, a kit to make jewelry, markers, stickers and glitter glue in a plastic storage box. She also received the Disney Princess Monopoly and a Disney Princess game where you try to collect a jewelry set--I can't think of the name of it, but she LOVES both of these games!
Kathryn

DD~12/00
DS~ 04/03
DD~ 04/05

Beth568
03-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Just chiming in to say that my 5 yo DD is a bit of a tomboy, and she's not interested at all in Barbies or Disney Princesses. (shrug) So if you don't know for sure about that, I always think that craft supplies and books are good neutral gifts. And you could always call her mom and ask for suggestions...