PDA

View Full Version : Deck/Outdoor equipment for a 2 year old

giavila
03-14-2006, 11:35 PM
I've been obsessing with this for the last week so maybe some of you might have some advice. My DD is 22 months and I am thinking about a gift for her 2nd birthday. DD is currently in a home daycare and gets to play outdoors a lot. They have a wave climber, slide, plastic kitchen, and a couple of different playhouses that she enjoys daily while in daycare. She doesn't have any outdoor toys (except for her Kettler) at home because we live in a condo with no backyard. On the weekends we take her to Gymboree (where she gets to play on a ton of equipment, we often go to the park and the beach year round as we live in Los Angeles and get to enjoy good weather year round. We are expecting #2 and in June I'll be a stay at home mom. I'm afraid that with a new baby we won't get a chance to get out everyday to the park or beach so I've decided to clear off our small deck and turn it into a play area for DD. It isn't that big (12 feet x 13 feet), but I want to make the best of it. I was thinking of getting a sandbox and the Step 2 Woodland Climber.

http://www.step2.com/index.cfm?stp2ssid=FC298877-1143-E489-2DEC179133E68DE1&action=details&product_id=1281&category_id=1000&subcategory_id=1002

Do you think this climber will last her sometime? I guess when she loses interest baby #2 will get to enjoy it, but I'm trying to choose something she'll enjoy for awhile. Any thoughts? With such small space, what else would you consider, any other toys you think she would like out there?

Sorry for rambling.. any advice is appreciated!

brittone2
03-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Is there any way to hang a swing? Could you build a frame or something to attach to the deck to hang it from? That wouldn't take up much space and I've seen people hang them from porches. The sandbox is one of DS's favorite things at 2 y/o. He's been using his for close to a year now.

I don't have any experience w/ the climber. We skipped it as I'd rather put the money toward a larger playset/swingset for him, but if I had limited space, that one looks like it would work out well. An alternative would be something like just a little playhouse type thing vs. a climber. You could also fill a sand/water table w/ just water if you wanted (less mess than the combo together in one table probably).

Karenn
03-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Is your deck raised off the ground at all? I know our deck is high up and I hadn't realized until I saw DS climbing his Little Tikes slide that he could have kept on climbing right over the banister if I'd let him. Just one thing to think about with a climbing toy on the deck.

I was in a similar situation last summer. We had a sandbox on our deck as well as a kid sized picnic table and the above mentioned slide. I would also sometimes fill up a big dish tub for water play. It worked OK.

sdjeppa
03-15-2006, 11:47 PM
What about a playhouse? My son loves his (he's 2.5 and got it for Christmas). Its something that would last a long time...

geochick
03-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Since space is limited, I'd fill a sand/water table with sand only. It would take up less space than a sandbox, but would do the trick. Put a tarp under it.

I would worry about a climber toy if your deck/balcony is raised up. It would be very easy to take a dive off the top of a climber toy.

giavila
03-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Thank you all for the advice! Our deck isn't raised so a climber should be fine. Ok so it sounds like some kind of sandbox or table would be a big hit so I am pretty conviced of getting one of those options. Now I just need to decide on the Step 2 Woodland Climber or a playhouse... so do most of you think that a playhouse would hold her interest much longer than the climber? I'm looking at the Neat and Tidy Cottage by Step 2 since space is an issue and I've read good reviews.

http://www.step2.com/index.cfm?stp2ssid=01941EC3-1143-E489-2D4A48DEE6984786&action=details&category_id=1000&subcategory_id=1007&product_id=1301

Thanks again.

sarahsthreads
03-16-2006, 09:21 AM
We have that playhouse, my parents got it for Carrie for Christmas. It's in the house right now since we don't live someplace warm at all! She adores it, and every child who has come over since we got it, ranging from 1 to 6 years, has spent pretty much their entire visit playing in it. The younger ones just like to walk in and out of the door and ring the doorbell, the older ones actually play house in it. My oldest niece (the 6-year-old) seemed to enjoy it the most, so I think it's a good investment.

Sarah :)

juliekost
03-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Hi!
We have a climber with slide and this playhouse. My DD can play for hours in the playhouse and seldom uses the climber. I wish I had a playhouse inside too since living in Michigan our summers are so short. Good luck!

Julie
Jake 11/9/98
Jordyn 12/31/02
Baby J due in June 2006

Beth568
03-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Another vote for the playhouse over the climber. I think it will hold her interest longer and be safer (I'd be a little nervous about a fall onto a hard deck surface, even if the deck's not high). You can always hit the playground and parks for running/climbing type outdoor play.

My 4 yo got a playhouse for her 2nd birthday, and has used it almost every time she's been outside since then. When friends come to visit, they love it, too.

giavila
03-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Well, combined with all your advice and the fact that I took DD to Toys R Us today to check out the playhouse and she pretty much ignored the climbers and was so excited about the playhouse I am convinced that she just has to have one! Thanks... you were all great help! Now I can stop obsessing about this and go on to the next project!