PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing with your DC for Easter?

KBecks
03-18-2006, 07:51 AM
This is the first year that Alek will be active for Easter -- so we're going to do a mini-egg hunt with 12 plastic eggs, I'm going to put a few mini-marshmallows or fruit snacks in each one for a little treat without going too overboard on the sugar.

As much as I want to buy him a gift, I'm thinking of reusing a basket we already have (DH and I have Easter baskets we were given by his MIL, who feels OK giving grown-ups Easter baskets), and even some bunny and duck toys that I already have for his basket.

I'd like to get him a big gift, but I think that may be overkill. I remember getting presents on Easter, but I'm not sure if that's a tradition I want to do. I might hold off and just buy DS some new summer toys (maybe a trike and a sandbox, etc.) when the weather is really better for it here. Maybe I'll break down and get him something little, like crayons.

As for activities, I think we'll go to the nearest church on Easter morning (rather than drive to our church which is 1 hour round trip -- I'll be spending Holy Week doing a lot of singing there, including Easter Vigil), and that will leave us a little family time at home for breakfast and egg hunt before we go to Grandma's house for lunch and extended family time.

What are you doing this year?

ETA: If anyone wants to share their children's activities for Passover or other spring celebrations, please feel free to do so!

SpaceGal
03-18-2006, 02:17 PM
We'll probably go to Easter Vigil or mass as well. I'm working on gathering items for DS easter basket. Nothing too elaborate, so far I got him an Easter Carol (some Veggietales movie I came across at Walmart) and I'm looking for a stuffed bunny or duck of some sort. He's only one so no egg hunt yet but maybe next year. I want to make him a basket because my mom always made me one when I was little so I would like to do the same.

MelissaTC
03-18-2006, 07:41 PM
We are going to attend an Easter egg hunt at the YMCA that week. We will also attend the town event. One of the Moms in my MOMS Club is going to host an egg hunt at her home so we will probably do that too! Just to celebrate spring, the town is having a kite flying day next Saturday. I am hoping he will be better (rotavirus has hit our home) so we can attend. I love flying kites!!!

On Easter day, we will go to Mass and then have a nice early dinner. DS will get a basket from the Easter bunny, complete with M&Ms (his favorite candy), some outside toys like sand toys and the like, a new train for his Thomas collection (tradition) and whatever else I can get in there like matchbox cars,art supplies, small book, etc..

ellies mom
03-18-2006, 07:52 PM
DH has to work every Easter and we don't have family near by so it is pretty low-key for us. I may try coloring Easter Eggs but since she isn't even 2 1/2, I'm not sure I'm ready for that. I'll probably "hide" a few of the plastic eggs for her to find. Last year I bought a little purse for DD instead of a basket. So, I might do something similar. As for goodies, I'm planning on getting her a bracelet and maybe a small stuffed bunny. I might get some toy animals instead of the bunny though. Obviously things are pretty vague here. :)

dules
03-18-2006, 08:38 PM
We don't have family nearby so are getting together with some friends for an egg hunt and dinner in the afternoon. We are a mixed faith family and so is the family hosting it.

For a basket, I got DD a sand pail from Target with shovel for about $2.99. I'm putting in a Mr. Potato Head and some art supplies.

For the egg hunt I am filling the eggs with fun size M&Ms packs, and goldfish, as well as some toys I picked up in the Easter aisle at Target. They also had PlayDoh eggs that looked like fun.

It's nice to see what others are doing!

Best,
Mary

aliceinwonderland
03-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Going to a friend's house and making a mess over there ;) She's having a toddler-fest complete with an egg-hunt :)

purpleeyes
03-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Our local parks and recreation department is hosting egg hunts-different times for different ages, which I think is very cool.
Plus, prizes, games, the easter bunny. It looks like a lot of fun!

We usually do a small easter basket as well (snacks, Fisher Price LP easter toy, puzzle and book from the $1 Target aisle), but lucky for DS we finally decided on a play kitchen. This will most likely be his biggest easter present ever! :)

Still deciding on in-laws or my grandparents house for Easter dinner. That post belongs in another forum, tho...

Beth

brittone2
03-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Easter basket with stuff mostly bought a while ago (some bunny-themed sticker books from bookcloseouts, a few felted items like a felted easter egg with a little chick inside, bubbles, a balsa wood plane, and egg-shaped sidewalk chalk.

I think he'll be SOOO into finding hidden eggs this year. He's very into "hiding" games right now and playing hide and go seek (well, in 2 year old fashion which isn't all that sophisticated ;) ) I think he'll love hunting eggs :) That will be the best part!

I'm going to fill them with some money for his bank (my kid loves money LOL), and I picked up Annie's cheddar bunnies and graham cracker bunnies at the store today to for filling eggs. We just ordered some of the xylitol gum we use for his teeth, and he hasn't had any in a while, so I'll hide some of that in eggs too.

We'll probably get together w/ my parents for brunch at our house so they can watch the egg hunt, and dinner at their house later in the day.