PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on painting a play kitchen

purpleeyes
03-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Hello all!

After much research, thought, attempts to build our own, ;) we just decided to buy the magic cabin mini kitchen-so a christmas gift becomes and easter present.

It is so cute! I can't wait to build it!! I have some ideas about painting it, and I would like some opinions.

I am thinking of painting the backsplash with black chalkboard paint and the oven and cabinet doors white (to match our appliances) We would also paint (if possible) the cabinet door with magnet paint so it could be a refigerator.

Any thoughts, changes, suggestions are appreciated!!

Beth

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32589.txt

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32590.jpg

ETA to add picture-yay, i figured it out!!

Beth568
03-18-2006, 08:54 PM
I think those kitchens are adorable! :)

I've had the best luck with chalkboard paint after preparing the surface really carefully. I'd suggest that you first sand it lightly, then do a base coat of an all-purpose primer. Then add a coat or two of regular black paint (or dark green, if you're using green chalkboard paint), and then apply the chalkboard paint on top of that. It's really important to be sure the base coats are COMPLETELY dry before you start with the chalkboard stuff, so that it adheres properly and lasts well. It works pretty well, I think, though I've heard some people complain that the chalk doesn't wipe off as completely as they'd like. I have done a few tables with chalkboard tops, including one for my own DDs, and ours wipes pretty well (I use a slightly damp towel every now and then), and of course you can always reapply the paint if you think you need to.

The magnetic paint doesn't seem to work quite as well as the chalkboard stuff - you'll get lightweight magnets to stick, but not heavier ones. But what a cute idea to make the door magnetic as if it's a fridge! :)

Enjoy!

schums
03-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I've heard that the magnetic paint takes several coats before it starts to work really well. We looked into it for DD's room, and decided it would take way too long (and cost to much) to paint one wall 5 or 6 times to get the magnetic stuff to work well. For your cabinet, it might be worth the cost of a gallon!

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

purpleeyes
03-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the paint advice, ladies!! Now, one more question-where can I buy the magnetic paint. I assumed I could get it a craft store like Michaels, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!!

Beth568
03-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Krylon makes it (there are other brands, too) - you should be able to find it at well-stocked paint and hardware stores. Or check the Krylon web site for retailers.

nfowife
03-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Another option with the magnet idea is to affix metal sheets that you cut down to size, kind of a "stainless steel" effect. You could probably paint over it white, and then it would already be magnetic. You could put molding around it to make it have no sharp edges as well.

jess_g
03-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Wow that is great kitchen. Please let us know what you think of it when it arrives. At that price I am tempted to buy one too.

Jessica.

npace19147
03-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the link - I just ordered one for DD after seeing this thread! Now hopefully I will actually paint it like I told DH... :)

tsem
03-20-2006, 04:54 PM
I have tried the magnetic paint and think it is a waste of time and money. We painted half our wall with the chalkboard paint and half with the magnetic paint (at least 5 coats of magnetic paint). The chalkboard is great and is exactly like I expected. The magnetic paint we also bought at a hardware store (around $20) and only barely holds up light magnets. I wouldn't recommend it.
Traci

purpleeyes
03-21-2006, 10:11 AM
We haven't built it yet, but I love how it looks on the box! :) We took some of the pieces out, to see about painting them and it is a very soft light wood-well sanded and cut. The extras (pots, pans, plates, food, spoons, etc) are awesome! I didn't realize it would come with some much extra stuff. I love that it is smaller, too. It will fit nicely in our kitchen and won't take over the space.

I will post more when we built it. We are doing it in stages b/c of the painting.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Beth