PDA

View Full Version : How important is the vibrating feature on a Pack N Play?

MNmomtobe
03-20-2006, 12:43 AM
The one I registered for has the vibrating feature and a canopy. I already have purchased a bassinet with vibrating feature for our bedroom and have registered for a bouncy seat with vibration. We would keep the PNP in our dining room for daytime naps. How many people found the vibrating feature helpful? I'm afraid DD (due in June) will get too used to vibrating things to calm her down that she won't be able to sleep once we transition her to her crib.
Any thoughts?

BTW, I wanted the canopy since I have sheer curtains in the dining room. Maybe this isn't necessary either?

mariza
03-20-2006, 04:29 AM
When I registered I *had* to have a PNP with the electronic music & light unit and the changing table. Now, I wish I just got the most basic model and saved some money. The electronic unit doesn't give out enough light and the music in very tinny sounding, although I don't mind the nature sounds, but still we never used it. We also never used the changing table, we live in a small one level house so it was just as easy to bring DD to her room and put her on the changing table there.
I don't think any of the extra's are neccessary, unless you live in a 2 story, the changing table may come in handy, but I don't beleive the vibrating and canopy are needed. Once the baby reaches 15 lbs, you'll put him/her in the bottom part of the PNP anyway and they will do fine.

galvjen
03-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Our PNP purchase was based on color more than anything else (didn't want navy blue). It had the vibrating bassinet but not a canopy. That said, I don't think we ever used the vibrating feature (did we ever install the battery??). The changing station was useful since we have a 2-story home.
Jen

hillview
03-20-2006, 07:03 AM
Have the vibrating thing + never used it. Liked the changing table.
HTH
/hillary

jd11365
03-20-2006, 07:29 AM
Get the basic one. I *had* to have the fancy schmancy one, but never ended up using any of the features it came with. The best PnP I got was for my mom's house. It had a "tent" on top, so I could make it nice and dark for her. :) I think it was called the sport.

Beth568
03-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Well, our old PNP didn't have any of those features. But we did have a bouncy seat that vibrated, and both of my DDs hated it. :(

I wouldn't worry about it either way. If she likes it, that's fine, and if not, you just don't have to use it. I think you could deal with an overdependency on the vibration by gradually shortening the amount of time you left it on.

Oh - and unless you have the PNP right in front of a window, you could certainly get away without using the canopy, I think. Again, a nice feature to have, but not critical.

bchafin
03-20-2006, 08:12 AM
I guess I am in the minority here. My DS was a terrible sleeper in the beginning and the only way we could get him to take at least two hours (if we were lucky) at a time is to swaddle him and use the vibrate feature teamed with ocean sounds. I didn't have to worry about weening him off, he let me know when he no longer wanted to be swaddled and as he started sleeping longer, we just moved him to the crib with no problem.

I never used the canopy. Most of his daytime sleeping was done in the swing.

HTH
Barb

sidmand
03-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Another one here who never used the vibrating feature or the music. We did use the changing table at first (2-story house) but gave that up soon 'cause it was a pain. Even now I go upstairs to change him. We didn't use the vibrating feature on the bouncy seat much either, though.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Ceepa
03-20-2006, 09:36 AM
We intentionally bought the most basic PNP and were very pleased with it. Neither DS or DD cared much for vibrations (preferred to be walked/rocked endlessly by Mom and Dad!!) and we didn't use it for them at night so a nightlight feature would have been useless to us.

Save the money and go for basic.

jgriffin
03-20-2006, 09:39 AM
We got a PnP with the works. We have a 2-story house, so I used the PnP as a daytime crib (i.e. all day every day for the first 3 months).

-vibration -- I used this sometimes, but I found that DS didn't care that much one way or the other. And sometimes he would wake up when it stopped.
-music/sounds -- again, I used the sounds sometimes (the music was awful IMO), but since his PnP was downstairs there was a lot of ambient noise anyway.
-light -- never used it (since we only used the PnP during the day). It seems really dim, anyway...more like a night light.
-canopy -- I liked the canopy because in the afternoon the room the PnP was in gets a lot of light.
-bassinet -- I wouldn't get a PnP without it (my back would quit!)
-changing table -- I used the changing table a lot, but my husband eventually quit using it and changed DS in the bassinet directly.

We also have a bouncy seat with vibration, but we never used it (the vibration, that is...we used the seat a lot!)

MNmomtobe
03-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Wow. Thanks everyone! Now I think I want the canopy but not necessarily the vibration but I don't think there is one that has the canopy and not the vibration. :) Thanks again!

justlearning
03-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Both of our sons have never liked the vibrating feature on our PNP (although they did/do on the bouncy seat). The canopy has been great, though, for hanging toys with links from it to create a Gymini-like experience for them (although I still would recommend getting a Gymini too).

smilla653
03-21-2006, 10:31 AM
We got one without vibration but with a canopy. I think it was called "Cape".

We only use the PnP as a "baby prison" LOL, but got a TON of use out of the canopy last summer, when we'd put DS out on the deck with us.

Ah, here it is:
http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=9489CAP&CategoryID=3