PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a bigger play kitchen?

annasmom
03-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Right now we have a very small Step 2 play kitchen (I think the "Little Helper," or something like that). Anyway, the kitchen is great and it served its purpose when my dd was really little and we didn't have any space.

However, now that both my dd and ds play with the kitchen, it is WAY too small. There is simply not enough counterspace for my 2 little chefs, so the elbows go flying and someone always ends up on the floor! Also, we now have the space to accommodate something bigger.

So, I am looking for recommendations for something a bit bigger, maybe something that could accommodate 3-4 children (we are expecting #3, and we have a ton of playdates). I don't think I want an island type kitchen, they don't seem to have enough play space. I was thinking at first that I would want it to be one piece, with plenty of counterspace and "cabinets," but maybe a set that comes with several pieces would work for me too.

I would appreciate any recommendations. Oh, and I know someone will recommend the Kidkraft kitchen. What do you think of the quality? I had kind of discounted this kitchen because we have several Kidkraft toys and I am not thrilled with the quality. This will be our third play kitchen (one was a gift) and I am really hoping it will be our LAST!

Thanks!!

brittone2
03-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Look for some of the big sets like daycares use. They are spendy usually but maybe you can find a deal. I would think it would be hard to have 3-4 kids share most kitchens unless they were really big. An island would spread them out a bit but you mentioned you weren't looking for that.

Another idea would be the type of sets that have individual components...like the PBK Kitchen, or the Ryan's Room kitchens with a separate dishwasher, stove, sink, refrigerator, etc. Or something like this:
http://www.communityplaythings.com/c/DramaticPlay/PlayWorks/index.htm where you can buy separate components and spread the kids out a bit?

ETA:
This is so weird, but I swear I updated my post last night with a bunch of other ideas...maybe it is floating around somewhere else on the boards accidentally!!

Have you done a search in the archives using advanced search for "comprehensive kitchen thread"?: maybe you'll see something there you like?

Ryan's Room sells separate components. They tend to get good reviews I think. Also the ones at rosiehippo (I think this were elves and angels...E&A no longer sells to the public I think but you can buy through rosiehippo I believe?) http://www.rosiehippo.com/categorysubdept.asp?deptid=4&subdeptid=402

I posted a big island one that had work space...I know not what you were looking for initially but just in case I thought I'd give a link to it. This has a washer and dryer too: http://www.heirloomwoodentoys.com/product.php?productid=16894

Smaller island (less counterspace) but less expensive and free shipping:
http://www.gummylump.com/front/f_category.php?id=21

Creativebrains has several choices too (they have component systems too)
http://creativebrainsonline.com/playkitchens.html

american_mama
03-24-2006, 01:08 AM
There is a homemade kitchen, really cute, with lots of counterspace at the bottom of the first page of this post. Many people liked it, so the person provided more info. in subsequent pages. Even if you can't make it yourself, maybe you could hire someone to do it.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=45868&mesg_id=45868&listing_type=search

bjessen
03-24-2006, 02:35 AM
I know you said you don't think you want a island and might want one piece, but since you said that maybe a set with several pieces would work too, thought I'd share....

We have the PB Kids Metro kitchen (blue and red one). It is our 2nd, we had a large plastic Little Tikes kitchen w/drop leaf table I got off ebay originally for $40 while dh was deployed and dd was 1 yr. I love it and so did dd, but when he returned and we moved he said he really wanted a wooden set as he didn't like the look of the plastic. So we sold that and bought the PBK one after much looking.

We have all 3 pieces (Refrigerator, DW, and island w/one side stove/burners & other side sink/cutting area/pantry). My DD and DS love it. We justified the price since we got it early on (and plan to have at least one more child we hope). We too have lots of playdates and it works great. It is our best playroom purchase to date. During playdates or gatherings usually 2-6 kids (during small group Bible study up to 12 kids total) are playing with it. Lots of big kids that come over still play with it. I feel it is nice since it is more gender neutral, not too girlie. Boys don't object too it as a "girl" toy. The potrack looks like something an adult would have in their kitchen (very realistic) and is great for storage. The refrigerator is magnetic and holds pictures. I put the appliances (toaster, blender, microwave, cash register, etc) on the DW top, on the bulk bins, window ledge, or table when storing. The DW holds all of there dishes in between uses too. A friend of mine has the white set for her daughter and bought white small shelves at Target (PBK knock-offs) to store the food & extra dishware. She even bought a small valance to hang on the wall over the sink to simulate a window, real cute.

There are very few nicks (could count on one hand how many for all 3 pieces combined) on our PBK set and we've had the refrigerator and island since fall 2003 and dw since Christmas of 2004, and they get played with hard. Plus PBK now sells paint pens to touch up with in their stores.

Our playroom is only 10x12 with a curved wall that eats into the space (backs to round entry hall to our home on other side). It is really a bedroom/den with closet that I use for toys. Anyway, we still have room for a small table, 4 chairs, corner tv armorie, 3 stacked PBK bulk bins & several shopping carts and strollers parked by the door besides the 3 kitchen pieces. The key to it all working is the fact that all 3 pieces allow flexibility in placement (we have a work triangle, but wouldn't have had room to put them in a row or one large kitchen).

PBK one isn't cheap, but I think some of the pieces are on sale. Plus, if you register for an event (say b-day, move, or the baby) and put it on the registy, they have a completion program and after the event date if it wasn't purchased you can purchase it for 10% off with their completion program. Also, PBK has a friends and family event 1-2x a year with a percentage off, 20% I think, (when I bought mine).

If the Target version for $80 was out at the time I might've considered that, but I think it only has the island. For space or budget limits, the Target one is a nice set. However, I think I'm glad we splurged on the PBK one since it does allow for 3 areas of play (one of those double sided) plus we have the table area for "baking" & tea parties too.

BTW, I loved the set someone made that was linked here...I saw those directions online when we were looking, but unfortunatley no way would dh even consider tackling a project like that...he is great at flying jets, not so great with tools, lol. Plus he's gone too much to tackle big stuff like that (that again he's not skilled in) when he is briefly home. If my dad or brother-in-law weren't on an opposite coast and lived nearby, I would've enlisted them to help build it as it is a nice, flexible, inexpensive way to go that looks cute too and something they would've easily been able to knock out in a day.

HTH & good luck choosing!

annasmom
03-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the recommendations Ladies!

I do love that homemade kitchen, I remember seeing that post. Unfortunately, my dh and I have a bad weekend when we have a baby gate to install, let alone a project like that!

I guess I shouldn't discount island kitchens outright. If there is enough playspace, maybe it could work. I guess the only ones I have seen IRL have been really small though, kind of space-saver kitchens.

I went on PBK's wesbite, and it doesn't appear that they are selling the Metro kitchen anymore, although my dd LOVED the pink Retro kitchen. Hmmm, just cannot do pink with my ds!

bjessen
03-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Okay, called Scottsdale AZ Pottery Barn Kids since I know they still have it in the store. The guy there said they will ship anywhere in the US (so will other stores if there is one closer to you, you may want to check the store locator at the bottom of the page online)....so if you are still interested in it, it is out there. The dishwasher is on sale still online http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpak%7Ccsaltna%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fk%2Fshp ak%7Ccsal%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fk&pkey=csaltna%7Cak&gids=c285.
Though I'd check with a store to see if it is cheaper to do all 3 together or buy individual. They should have the dishwasher for sale too as they usually have the same prices. You will get a better price on it then the current red kitchen, plus although I like the retro styling of the red, I think the blue & red metro was a better layout for mulitple kids. I steered clear of the pink one as well due to my ds, though if I had only girls I would've loved it! Land of Nod has a cute white one, but I didn't like it in the end as much as PBKs.

Hope that helps if you decide to pursue that route (at least wanted to let you know it is still available if you decide you like it).

annasmom
03-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Bridget, you are incredible!! I have really just started looking into this, so am not sure whether I am ready to take such an expensive plunge right now, iykwim. I need to start laying the ground work, e.g., start subtlely telling my husband how the kids REALLY need another one. It is good to know that it is an option though, and less expensive than the retro kitchen. I think I am going to take my dc to a PBK in the next couple of days and see how they play with the kitchens IRL. Thanks again! You went above and beyond!!

Mamma2004
03-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Bridget, are you saying that pieces OTHER than the dishwasher are available, too? Oooh, that would be great!

Stephanie

bjessen
03-24-2006, 04:55 PM
>Bridget, are you saying that pieces OTHER than the dishwasher
>are available, too? Oooh, that would be great!
>
>Stephanie

Yep Stephanie. The refrigerator and island stove/sink/pantry I believe are still available (I called to confirm this morning). Just call the Scottsdale, AZ store if the store nearest you doesn't have it...they are incredible and have great customer service. I live an hour away, so always call ahead if I need something specific before driving over. They look up stuff for me all the time and if they don't have it, if it is out there, they can find it. Have been extremely impressed with their staff at that location.

There were some retro airplane brushed silver curtain rods on sale online that I wanted to get since we have one set currently in ds room, but we are moving and it is staying with the house. DH is a pilot, so I thought it'd be cute in the next playroom as well as ds's room in the same plane rod so I'd have extras as we move down the line (military). When I went to buy 4 more, they no longer were online. Scottsdale didn't have it anymore either. They then found out for me that the catalog still had them (around 100 left), just for some reason they weren't showing up online anymore (they are now again in the sale part). The holdbacks were sold out in the catalog/online and in all the stores, but Scottsdale found several at the new store in FL (the Gardens). Being new, that store's employees didn't realize they had them, so Scottsdale coached me on what to point them toward. The FL store shipped them no problem.

Now, I don't know for how much longer the Metro blue & red kitchen will be available in the stores. They may be phasing it out now that they have the Retro red kitchen, or it may come back around Christmas time like it did last year...I'd ask if you are considering it so you know if you have time to wait or not. I'd also still try calling the online number/catalog. Often items are yanked off the website that they still have in stock if they reach below 5 in stock, are about to replace it (in which case you can sometimes catch the item before it goes to the outlets), or aren't selling as much at a certain time.

Also, there are 5 or so outlets for PB, PBK, and William-Sonoma out there. I don't live near any of them currently, but have been to the VA and NV ones, there are some good deals to be had there too. I know there are also Ohio, GA, and TX outlets as well. I have been in search of items before that have been discontinued and called the outlets to see if they had them. If they do, they often will ship (policy varies store to store). The only one I know will definitely not ship is the TX store, they are cash and carry only. It seemed the stock at the outlets is hit or miss for which stores the stuff is coming from within the company.

Anyway, the 3 metro kitchen pieces are really great pieces. Particularly love the potrack. Wish I had a link or picture for ya to show all 3 pieces now that PBK doesn't have it on its' site. I'd take one, but don't know how to post it.

Hopefully you'll get them for less than I did, LOL ;)

HTH!