PDA

View Full Version : Puzzles for a 2yr old

Zana
03-27-2006, 04:20 PM
DS has a few peg puzzles (M&D, 8-10pcs) that he's pretty good at. Is this a good age to introduce jigsaw-type puzzles? Where do you get some that are 10pcs or less (the only ones I see are 12+ pcs).

Thanks

kedss
03-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Have you tried the number puzzles or alphabet puzzles(M & D)? We've tried doing the jigsaw type with our 2 year old, and he isn't ready yet. He still likes being able to fit the pieces into the holes. :)

sdbc
03-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Our 22 m/o started enjoying the cardboard 25 piece frame jigsaw puzzles about a month ago. She needed help at first, but can do them herself now. They are challenging in a good way.

ETA: I actually meant the 12 piece, not the 25. Sorry.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

bluestar2
03-27-2006, 08:21 PM
M&D has some small wood jigsaw puzzles. I can't remember how many pieces they had, but it didn't seem like too many and the pictures are fairly simple. They came in a wood box and there were a few scenes in each. I've seen them regularly at Ross if you have one nearby and they are inexpensive (about $6).

If your DS is pretty good at the peg puzzles, I'd get a small and simple multiple piece one to start. You could always help him out by handing him the pieces, showing him where they go, and he can place them himself. As far as age goes, I think it is very individual, and it also depends on how much he likes puzzles. DS is just over two and became obsessed with puzzles at about 22 months. We had one peg puzzle, then moved on to non-jigsaw puzzles which had pictures of fire engines or whatever, but the pieces were of a whole cloud or firefighter, or engine. They were easier than jigsaws since he could see the logical position for each piece. After that we moved onto 20 piece jigsaws and then just more pieces. He can do 48 piece jigsaws by himself now and it is his favorite thing to do. DD (same age) likes puzzles but not as much and can do 24 piece ones by herself.

jillmk
03-28-2006, 08:00 AM
http://www.gummylump.com/ has a great selection of puzzles. I'd go ahead and get the 12 piece MD puzzles, at 2 I think he'd do great with them pretty quickly. We have a 24 piece jigsaw that DD (2 yo) is great at, and two 48 piece puzzles that she can do with a little bit of help. They are both rated 4+, but she enjoys them--everything else is too easy. M&D also makes a bus and a firetruck puzzle with maybe 8??? pieces? Not jigsaw, but not as simple as the puzzles with one piece that fits in one spot. I'd stick to the ones that fit in the wood frame. My DD has much more trouble with the cardboard type puzzles that come in a box w/o a frame. She seems to need the border that the wood frame provides.

katerinasmom
03-28-2006, 08:00 AM
For what it's worth, I bought my 17 month old (now almost 22 months) a couple of the 24 piece jigsaw puzzles from our local dollar store. I figured at a dollar each, even if she ripped the pieces apart I couldn't go wrong. She did not know what to do with them at first but she quickly caught on and although she is far from completing a puzzle on her own, she loves to play with them and does put parts of the puzzle together by herself. For example, one of the puzzles has a cat in it. She will put the two pieces that make up the whole cat together correctly. Another puzzle has a bunch of Sesame Street characters and she is able to put together 2-3 pieces at a time in order to put together a whole Elmo or Big Bird. But she still can't put each of individual accomplishments together to complete the whole puzzle and that's fine with me. As long as she is enjoying herself.
Since we found that she loves puzzles (which she pronounces "PUH-ZUH") so much my husband and I recently broke down and spent a small fortune for this floor puzzle as a souvenier from a recent trip (it's much cheaper on line than at the souvenier shop):

http://www.maukilo.com/product+crocodilecreek-29015.html

She loves it but again she puts the individual animals together but won't put the animals together as a group. And, by the way, even at 17 months when she really couldn't put any part of any jigsaw puzzle together she would still sit there for a good half hour manipulating the pieces. So if I were you, I'd say now is a great time to introduce a jigsaw puzzle even at 12+ pieces. Just make sure the pieces are big enough for him to manipulate easily and recognize the picture (and not pose a choking hazard).
-Jasmine

Zana
03-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'll go ahead try the 12+ pc (or 24?) wood frame ones. Love the links and Ross is a great idea!

..at the very worst..he'll grow into it at some point, right :)

s_gosney
03-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Do the M&D ones have the picture printed on the board as well? DD has some framed cardboard ones but she has a hard time with them. I suppose it could be that the whole puzzle makes up one large animal which might be harder to figure out than a different type of picture.

ett
03-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Other places to get cheap puzzles are Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Tuesday Morning. www.creativebrainsonline.com also carries a large selection of Melissa and Doug puzzles.