PDA

View Full Version : Climber or Playhouse? Which type?

joyelyse
03-28-2006, 06:15 PM
I want to get my DD some outdoor fun for this summer for her first birthday (June 29). We rent, so a real swing set is out for now. We can't dig into the ground. I thought I'd by some of the injected molded plastic stuff (Little Tikes or Step2) to keep her entertained this summer and next (when she'll be 2 and hopefully we'll be in a house). By her third birthday, we should be able to buy a real swing set. (Drooling over those Rainbow ones!!! Thank y'all for setting my sights so high.)

We have a great Step2 baby pool that we got at the end of last summer (Only the dogs have used it LOL) So, I had thought a climber with slide would be a nice addition. But now I'm hearing that a playhouse might be better. I can't really afford both. (Actually I'd really love a swing, but we'll have to go to the park for that since we can't dig. :( ) I love the idea of her climbing around like a monkey and sliding, but I don't know which will be more fun for her. She's currently 9 months, 50% percentile for height, crawling and standing holding on. No cruising or pulling up quite yet, but the spring is young. I do want to get something for the backyard, because sometimes it's nice just to stay home and enjoy the weather, and we have our playgroup here sometimes, which includes kids as old a 3.

BTW, I'm NOT looking to buy new. I'm stalking Craig’s List and local thrift stores. (Anyone want to sell me one near Boston? LOL) So, at least my outlay wont be quite as high.

What do you think? Climber w/slide? Playhouse? Neither? Which ones? I may not have a choice, since I'm looking for used, but at least I can shoot for a type.

Joy Elyse

BTW, there is someone on Craig’s List with the 8-in-1 Little Tikes Adjustable near me. Is it worth it? Would the playhouse part fill her playhouse wants?

joyelyse
03-28-2006, 06:16 PM
p.s. Is there anythign else you'd recommend instead/in addition?

Beth568
03-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Hmm. I think, honestly, that she's young for a climber/slide, though by the end of the summer if she's walking well it might work. At this age, no matter what, you'd probably want to be right there next to her pretty much every second while she uses something like that. My DD2 is 16 months, and walks well, but she's still learning how to handle herself on slides and ramps and things.

A playhouse probably won't be all that interesting for too long for a one year old, either, though going in and out might be fun for a while. ;) My DD1 got her playhouse for her 2nd birthday, and by then she was really into it. And she still loves it almost 3 years later, as do all the kids who come over to play.

I'm trying to remember what we did with Sarah during her first summer...we were getting ready to move, so we weren't home all that much. We didn't have anything big for the yard for her, though. She did like swings, and she was pretty happy just to run around. I wonder if you aren't better off with something really simple, like a cool sprinkler for the hose, and some yard toys like a light croquet set, or a soft bowling set - you know, things to roll around and chase.

Where are you near Boston? You could come over and have her take a look at our Little Tikes playhouse and see if it looks interesting to her...everyone likes to ring the doorbell on it! ;)

brittone2
03-29-2006, 02:02 PM
ITA w/ the PP. Maybe just buy something like a baby swing (hung from a tree or under a deck or on a porch?) for this summer? She could probably go down a slide with you holding onto her, but she's still pretty young to really climb all that much. Anything you buy that she can climb will likely be outgrown in a year IMO. There are folding slides (Little Tykes, etc.) that are only about $75 and they are bigger than the slides on some of of the slide/climber combos I've seen. She couldn't climb the ladder on her own for a while but that price isn't all that bad and maybe she'd use it for another 2 years or so.

Last summer DS was 16 months or so in June and he was happy with a toddler swing, a sandbox, and a swimming pool. He did play a bit in a beach tent that we sometimes set up for him, and I'm sure at that age he would have liked a playhouse. I'm not sure a 9 or 12 month old is going to be that excited about a playhouse, but she'd probably be interested in that for a few more years, and the three year olds in playgroup would probably like it.

I guess I'm biased...I think a lot of the small climbers are SOOOO small for the price, and most kids I know only use them for a year or two. Granted there are bigger ones (but they are also more expensive), but I still haven't seen that many kids use the climbers for that long of a period of time. Of course, maybe you can find a great deal 2nd hand as you mentioned.

joyelyse
03-30-2006, 10:43 PM
You ladies have me convinced. I passed on the climber (and I was even offered the one I wanted at a "reasonable" price.) Now, I am on the search for a playhouse.

I have a playhouse size question. We were offered the magic doorbell one, but the inside is only 44" high. The others are taller. It seems to make sense to me to get something taller. my sister says she has fold memories of playing in a friend's playhouse at 8. (Helped sell me too.) Also, I really like the Step2 ones more, but they seem to never come up.

I'm stalking Craig's list for a folding slide, swing and of course a playhouse. LOL

Beth, I'm in Watertown. Where are you?

Joy Elyse

MarisaSF
03-30-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm with the others. My DD is 20 months and just got a toddler slide. She wasn't ready to go up and down the steps until a couple months ago. Her 1st Birthday was last August. At that time we had two outdoor things that were big hits: a step 2/little tikes(?) sandbox (turtle with cover) filled with ball-pit balls and a water table. She loved then, and still adores both.

She would have loved a pool too, I'm sure, but I didn't want to fill and clean it. I took her to the community pool instead. More fun for me.

ps- Like you I stalked Craigslist for everything. :) If you don't already have one, look into a push and ride car for the summer.
ETA: toddler slide... $10; turtle sandbox.... $12; push/ride scooter... $10 (all used). 100 Ball Pit balls from TRU... $20.

(Sorry, I just realized I'm replying to your playhouse post and I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure my DD is not yet at the age where she's interested. She has an indoor tent thing that she'll sit in once in awhile, but she doesn't *do* much with it yet, iykwim.)

Beth568
03-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Joy we live in Littleton...so not that close to you, but my offer to come ring our doorbell still stands! ;)

The magic doorbell playhouse still works fine for my tall 4 year old (she's 43 inches) and some of her older friends. If you really think you'll be moving, you may be better off with the small playhouse for now - you can always upgrade later!