PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training 101 - help!

simba
03-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi! I think that DS is ready...but I am not! Meaning that I don't know what I need. Do I need either the potty or the seat adapter or both and if so, why? Do you recommend those seats with the little ladder to go up? And what about training pants, underwear, etc? Mostly though, I'd like to know about the differnce between potty vs. seat on adult toilet and what brands. ouch!
Thanks
silvana

squimp
03-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Let's see, we did better with the potty seat insert, as opposed to the little potty. DD did start with the little potty when she was a little over 2, but quickly progressed to prefer the big potty. So if your son is really young, it wouldn't hurt to get the Baby Bjorn little potty or something similar. It's good to have in the car, when public bathrooms are unavailable or unacceptable. ;)

As for brands, the Cushie tushie insert is a good choice for around $10, and has a little padding (and duckies on it!). My mom has it, as does DD's school - it holds up well to lots of use. We have the Baby Bjorn, but it was more expensive than it's worth at $30. DD doesn't seem to differentiate between the inserts so the cheapest thing that fits your toilet would be good. A step stool is nice, for them to climb up on their own.

One of our friends has the potty step up thing, and it seems to work really well - no bother with positioning a step stool. DD can set it up herself, it's so easy. If I'd known about those ahead of time, I'd have gotten one.

Hanna training pants are great, but pricey. The Gerber ones are OK, but tend to stretch out of shape. The best value are from JC Penney trainers - they run a little bit small, so if you're on the border, size up.

The Toddlers Bargain Board also has a potty training section - head over there for more info.

simba
03-29-2006, 05:37 PM
Thnak you Jana!!!
I'd like to hear more form people who have the step up thingy, I'll head over to that board!

dules
03-29-2006, 10:11 PM
No suggestions because my DD is not ready, though she's a full 6 months older than your DS! I am in awe - how did you get him ready?

Will check out the toddler boards too....

Best,
Mary