PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me Your Favorite Wagon For Your DC...

randomkid
04-01-2006, 02:54 AM
I found a great deal on the Radio Flyer All Terrain Wagon and wonder if this is worth it.

http://store.yahoo.com/radioflyer/rafl28alltew.html

Plus extra 10% off with code first10 if any of you are interested

What is your favorite wagon?

new_mommy25
04-01-2006, 03:38 AM
That seems like a great deal. We have the Pathfinder wagon. http://tinyurl.com/kowzm It's plastic. I would have liked wood but the seatbelts are what did it for me. My 2 year old is fine in the wagon but my 1 year old nephew moves around and the seatbelts just make things easier.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000859QK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

MarisaSF
04-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Such a good deal! It looks nice, but I'm perplexed. What does one use a wagon for?

I mean, obviously you put your kid(s) in it and walk around, but when/where does one actually find occasion for this where walking, trike, or stroller isn't an option? Or is a wagon more fun for kiddo? Do you prefer it for the extra storage space it provides?

I've seen some families at the zoo with wagons.

trumansmom
04-01-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm in your camp, Marisa, but DH LOVES the wagon. My guess is that he thinks it's more manly to lug kids around in one instead of a stroller. Also, he uses it to make a statement that we really didn't "need" a stroller to begin with. :)

That being said, I had a little red wagon growing up. I loved putting my dolls in it and taking them around the neighborhood. DH remembers loading his up with rocks and icky boy things and dragging his around the farm.

So, for now it's DH's political statement. In a few years, the kids will actually get to play with it. :P

HTH-
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

jasmine
04-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi,

We had purchased one of the RF all terrain wagon a couple of years ago, but we ended up selling it. The main reason was that the wood slats come off and DS kept pulling them off and wanted to ride without the wood slats. Not quite safe :-(. Also, he liked to lean against the wagon and it seemed like the wood slats could easily snap off. I paid around $75 for it, and at the time the best price around was $150, so we were able to resell it for $110. I think I may get DS a small metal or plastic one that he can use to pull his toys around. I've also seen a lot of wagons at the zoo. I think its more convenient than a stroller because kids can get in and out a little more easily and the parents can carry more stuff.

MarisaSF
04-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Ah... Thank you for the explanations, Jeanne and Jasmine. That makes sense. I think I should not tell DH about this option. :)
I had one growing up too. I also had the radio flyer sled. Now that you mention it, I *only* remember my dad pulling us around in them!

brittone2
04-01-2006, 11:30 AM
My MIL bought DS a John Deere wooden wagon for DS when he was just under a year old (for Christmas). It has worked out fine, although we don't use it that much anymore. She also bought him a smaller plastic version (he can pull it around himself outside, or sit in it and we can pull him but the handle is very short for us to do that).

Our John Deere wooden wagon doesn't have a seat or seatbelt, but DS managed just fine to stay seated with verbal reminders. The sides came up high enough I wasn't worried about him falling out. Since he got it in the winter time, we even just walked him around the "loop" in our house from room to room sometimes and that was fun when he was tiny. He's never been a huge stroller kid, so we used it for walks in the neighborhood when he was just over a year. Last summer we would give him rides while we pulled him around the farmer's market. When he was really young I propped up a chair cushion behind him to make it more comfy.

I think he'd enjoy it if we got it back out again (it is in the rafters of our storage shed right now). He still likes pulling the small one around the yard and he loads up all sorts of little rocks and sticks and acorns in it :)

I suspect as he gets bigger he'll enjoy walking around and pulling the large wagon too.

I think ours is pretty much like this:
http://shop.mobileation.com/s.nl;jsessionid=ac112b6b1f438b9b086388d24e99a349c1 bc4778b7ee.e3eTa3aSaxmTe34Ra3iRa3iQbN50n6jAmljGr5X DqQLvpAe?sc=2&category=379&it=A&id=1305

randomkid
04-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks everyone and Jasmine thanks for the review. Now that you mention it, DD would definitely be pulling those wooden sides off since she does that with her RF Walker Wagon.

I'm looking for one to use to pull her around the yard - she loves to be outside, but we have a dog and there is always "stuff" in the back yard, IYKWIM. We clean it up, but I still don't want her in the grass where it has been. Also, living in FL, it would sure make going to the beach much easier. I think it would be fun for her to play with when she is older as well. I had a RF metal wagon and I loved it. Of course, it finally completely rusted and we had to trash it.

Thanks for your feedback!

stefani
04-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi Shelby,

We have the Radio Flyer Trav-ler Wagon, similar to the ATW.

DS loved it, especially when he was between 1 & 2.5 years old. He just got a tricycle, and so now that is his favorite mode of transportation :-) With a wagon I guess you can put 2 children, and carry more stuff than stroller. We used it mainly around the neighborhood.

holliam
04-01-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm not even sure what wagon we have. I was not going to get one, but my Mom had one she had kept stuffed animals in for years. It's a wooden Radio Flyer, and she insisted we take it. I was not thrilled, but DD LOVED this thing. She still loves it. We don't use it much, but she loves it when we do. SAHD DH has stopped using a stroller with her, but he loves the wagon.

Holli

thomma
04-02-2006, 08:54 AM
We have the pathfinder too and absolutely love it. We used it for everything (pumpkin patch, parades, beach) from 12-24 months. My almost 3 year olds still fit but snugly. They still like wagon rides but it's usually one at a time. It's mostly used around the yard...they like to put stuff in it and pull. Dh and I like to use it to haul stuff too (beach trips, family outings etc). FWIW, we got it at Target for less than $50 around this time of year 2 years ago.

Kim
t&e 5/03

kaitlinsmommy
04-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Another Pathfinder lover here. My ds is 10 months old & has been riding in it for a month (with seatbelt, of course). He loves it. We just walk around the neighborhood while dd rides her trike. We always use it at the zoo & arboretum too.

aliceinwonderland
04-02-2006, 12:27 PM
My FIL and GFIL made one (a very very nice, air tires, huge one) for my DS and it has been used exactly once. But it has found great utility as catch-all for toys, though...

SpaceGal
04-02-2006, 10:18 PM
We have the Radio Flyer Pathfinder Wagon here. I liked that it had two seats (and when the seats are down "secret compartments" as a fellow mommy friend told me), seat belts and cup holders. I haven't used it outdoors yet but we have used it in the house DS loves being dragged around in it. My friend got it for her two sons, one that was just born but her older DS loves travelling around the neighborhood in it.

Moneypenny
04-03-2006, 10:15 AM
We were not going to get a wagon, but we received the one you mentioned as a gift. DD absolutely goes ecstatic for this thing (she's 20 months by the way). She rides in it every day when DH takes the dog for a walk. She is content to sit in it for the whole walk, whereas she clamors to get out of the stroller about half a block into the walk. I'm sure when she's older she'll love it to cart her toddler "stuff" around in it.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]