PDA

View Full Version : easel review and art supply questions

crl
04-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Hi,

After reading every post I could find on easels, I decided to get DS an easel from www.lakeshorelearning.com. I chose the Lakeshore Heavy-Duty Hardwood Easel. Here's the link to it: http://tinyurl.com/o9vm6

REVIEW:
I was looking for a very sturdy wood easel. DS is not a gentle kid with toys and I wanted something heavy to discourage him from trying to tip it over, move it around, etc.

We've had this one for a couple of days now and I am very pleased with it. DS has used it several times and likes it a lot.

Pluses: very heavy (may not be a plus for everyone) and sturdy, rubber feet to discourage sliding the easel around and minimize scratching the floor, trays are plenty big enough for paint cups, clips hold paper on well, style (this is just my personal opinion, but I like that the easel itself is quite plain and doesn't have a particular "style." I think that's appropriate something that's meant to encourage DS to be creative.), easy to assemble (it took DH about 5 minutes--just had to attach the trays).

Minuses: white board on both sides and not magnetic on either, not height adjustable (DS is a tall 2 1/2 year old and the height is fine for him, but this might not work well for shorter toddlers).

Hope this helps someone else as much as previous posters helped me make this decision. Please let me know if you have specific questions and I will try to answer them.

Now, some QUESTIONS:

What kind of markers for the white board? Is there something out there that is washable and doesn't smell awful?

What kind of paper do you use for painting? DS tends to lay it on thick and the paper doesn't stay smooth. I've tried a couple of brands of fingerpaint paper and some paper from Lakeshore. Is there something better out there?

What brushes? We have some cheap ones from Target or Michaels, but I think we could upgrade to something a bit better.

Thanks!