PDA

View Full Version : Make-Up for little girls??

annasmom
04-14-2006, 09:13 AM
I guess this isn't really an "around the house" question, but I couldn't think of where else to post. I cannot believe I am even writing this. It has come to my attention, that despite my best efforts, I am raising a girly-girl, lol!

I never even wear makeup, but Anna has gotten into my stash of old lipsticks, etc, and is fascinated. Does anyone have any recommendations for some safe and gentle play-type make-up for little girls??

Thanks!

Emmas Mom
04-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Oh your DD & my DD sound like two peas in a pod! It's so cute though isn't it?! ;) I got my DD these cute little Disney princess chap sticks from Wal Mart. They came in a two pack. She destroyed one of them by leaving the cap off & continually putting it on but I'm "monitoring" the 2nd one better. She knows it's hers but has to get it from Mommy first. I also gave her a powder puff & a blush brush that I never used. I will also put my own tinted lip gloss on her occasionally...now I just need to get a padlock on my make up case! lol :D

Sillygirl
04-14-2006, 10:51 AM
I hear great things about the MK and Ashley line, but have no personal experience with it.

ctmom
04-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi Eileen,

I would be VERY careful letting you dd play with makeup...I have a friend whose dd broke out in terrible hives after using "kids makeup". I, like the pp, only let me dd's use chapstick. One of my dd's received a barbie purse with fake makeup and they "use" that. It is a plastic lipstick and powder case with a real applicator. Also, make sure if you have any makeup you keep it out of reach from you dd, another friend walked into her bathroom after her dd went it to use the potty, and found lipstick all over the walls!!

I, like you, hardly ever use makeup, so it is funny that my girls have a fascination with it!!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Beth568
04-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Yes, as Mary said, I'd be really careful with makeup that's marketed for kids - I think a lot of it is junk. My MIL bought my DD a huge kids' makeup case at Costco or someplace, and in addition to the fact that a lot of the colors are VERY bright, it made Sarah's face break out. :(

I give my girls plain old makeup brushes and they play pretty happily with them. I think the kids' Chapstick is also a pretty good idea. I don't wear makeup, really, but my mom does, and when she gets those bonus gifts from Clinique she'll sometimes give me the sample blushes and powders for DD1 if the color is light.

annasmom
04-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks Ladies for the info and advice. I wasn't sure, but I had a feeling that the stuff out there was junk. I think if I pick up some fancy, girly chap sticks and some blush brushes she would be satisfied, as least for now. At least I hope so!! Thanks again!

brittone2
04-14-2006, 04:20 PM
What about something w/ more natural ingredients like Burt's Bees? The colors aren't very glaring or anything either. They have cute tinted lip shimmers etc.

Of course, she could be allergic to even the more natural ingredients, but IMO there are fewer potential triggers in something like BBs than most of the kids' stuff. I don't think Burt's has parabens, pthalates, etc. either if you are concerned at all about those things.

lizamann
04-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Oh I hear you! I rarely wear makeup, and when I start putting it on, dd asks me where I'm going and starts to panic a little that I will be leaving her.

She knows it's okay to put it on if we're staying in the house, but lately she's been asking to wear lipstick "outside the house." She loves it, and does a pretty good application job, too. I let her wear it since I've realized that it wears off pretty quickly.

spunkybaby
04-15-2006, 10:47 PM
I picked up a Gerber "Teeny Faces" moisturizing stick to use on my DD because her lips were so dry. It looks like a very fat chapstick and is safe for the face (cheeks) and lips. DD likes to use it and calls it her "stick." The label says it's hypoallergenic and fragrance-free.

HTH

Not-so-new mom to a spunky toddler
March 2004

Emmas Mom
04-17-2006, 10:44 AM
LOL...I forgot about those. I had one for DD#1 that I used on MY lips all the time. It was very mosturizing. :)

SummerBaby
04-18-2006, 11:59 AM
My DD is also fascinated with makeup. I took one of my old compacts and took the powder part out and let her have that and an old brush. She loves to look in the mirror and dip the brush in the compact and then rub it all over her face. I only let her have it supervised, because I'm afraid of her breaking the mirror, but she usually is only interested when I'm putting my makeup on anyway.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

youngmommy
12-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I am bumping this old thread in the hopes that someone will be able to help me with my little girl makeup search. I remember when I was little having a pretend makup set that had no real makeup in it at all. It was a plastic tube of lipstick and a compact. Maybe there were other things as well, but that's what I remember most. I have searched high and low for something similar, as I don't want to give dd any real makep at all. It seemed like one of the old classic fisher price toys, maybe comparable to the fisher price dr. kit type of toy. I have given her some chapstick, but I want to add to her collection. TIA!!!

ETA: Found a wooden one:
http://www.whimsicality.com/cart/images/main/JASMIN.jpg
I'm going to keep looking though.

...And I found this plastic one:
http://www.toystogrowon.com/sku968

(Why, oh why can I suddenly find what I'm looking for only after I've posted the question??)

holliam
12-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Okay, the wooden one is adorable! I sent it to Mari's aunties who keep asking me if they can buy her stuff like this. Too funny!

Holli

MamaMolly
12-07-2006, 08:12 PM
I saw some of the plastic kits at the Dollar Store, of all things. No make up, just plastic inserts. May be worth a look.
HTH,
Molly

new_mommy25
12-07-2006, 08:26 PM
They have the plastic fake makeup in the toy aisles of grocery stores, usually.