PDA

View Full Version : Calico Critters?

lizamann
04-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Anyone have any information on these?

http://www.calicocritters.com/

It's time to get dd a doll house, and since she much prefers animals to human dolls, I think she'd love these.

Are the doll houses quality items? Very pricey for a plastic doll house, but it sure looks cute. I always thought I'd get a plain wooden one, but these are starting to win me over, they're so adorable!

Any info is much appreciated!

teddy
04-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't know much about these but my DD has them -- at Grandma's house. She has a store and a bunch of animals. I think I've seen a koala family, a dog family, maybe bunnies? I'm not quite sure. But DD, who's about 3 1/2 years old, absolutely loves them. She will play with them by herself forever upstairs in a bedroom. Grandma also has a 3 level dollhouse from her childhood, so the critters live in that house.

Anyway, they seem to be made pretty well. DD is not rough with them. But they come with the teeniest, tiniest accessories. Like the smallest cups, hangars, jars of fruit, baby rattles, etc... I could see losing pieces pretty easily because they are so small. And you have to put stickers/labels on some things, like the store items. So you know what's orange juice, ketchup, etc.... so those are tiny as well. Again, I did not do any of this, it was all grandma and my BIL putting stuff together and setting it up for DD.

Because all the stuff is at Grandma's house, and it all stays in a spare bedroom, and my 17 month old DS is not allowed to go near the Calico Critters stuff (he'd eat it all), nothing is lost and nothing is broken.

Overall, it is really really cute. It's just all so SMALL! HTH

LiznSeb
04-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Sorry I don't think I will be very helpful, but both of the Learning Express toystores in my area do have these on display for the kids to play with...you could probably check it out in real life if you have one of those around.

For what it is worth my DS always starts at the train table and then insists on playing at the Calico critters display before we can leave the store. He really seems to enjoy it! I don't know about the house, but the dolls and accessories are reasonably well-made...although there is quite a bit of broken things (either missing or broken accessories) at the toystore(I am sure it get's lots of play and rough-treatment which accounts for some of that).

Liz

CiderLogan
04-24-2006, 09:29 AM
I remember playing with sets like these when I was little, and I loved them! I bought a CC (just a baby bunny in a little seat, that comes with a tiny bottle) for her Easter basket, and my 2.5 YO DD really likes it. I agree that these are very, very small and would probably be difficult to keep up with, but they are very cute!
Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another GIRL due 5/29/06!

Roleysmom
04-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Beth, Roley loves these. She's got a full bear family, the bride and a couple of baby animals and she's most interested in dressing them up and using the big pieces of furniture. I'd say it's one of the toys that she plays with the most. She doesn't do too much with the teeny tiny accessories.

We've held out on getting a dollhouse because I too wasn't so excited about the plastic and I was really hoping that she would like the huge pirate ship we got her for her birthday. She uses the carrying case, http://www.brainstorms.com/calicohome.htm , as their house and she's never expressed displeasure that they don't have a real home. That's a cheaper way to start to see if she likes it and because the pieces are so small, as another poster mentioned, it's great to have the boxes to throw them in so they don't get lost.

I have played with the CC dollhouse at Toys Et Cetera and it does seem well constructed. You always could use a wooden dollhouse for the animals, if you have your heart set on wood. (I love the Sunshine Manor!)

Paula
Mom to Roley Julia, January '02

holliam
04-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Well, Mari screeches in excitement, shaking even when she sees the display at Learning Express. LOL. She seems to really prefer animals too. But, I think I'm going to stick to wooden houses (M&D and eventually Ryan's Room) and just populate them with the critters, if she continues to love them.

Holli

marinkitty
04-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Beth -

A friend of mine has the Ryan's Room Home is Where the Heart Is Dollhouse and has populated it with the Calico Critters and it has worked beautifully.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

parker10302
04-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Mia "gave" Grace a Calico Critters house when we came home from the hospital as a big sister gift!! It has been our most played with toy in the last year. I put away most of the tiny pieces as they are too tiny for the baby. Quality wise I think it's pretty good, and it's pretty versatile and compact. DD plays with her FP Loving Family in her Calico Critters house as well. We have the townhome which opens and closes, which I like cause we can close up the house with all the accessories inside...this is the house we have
http://store.dianatoystore.com/cacrtonew.html

have fun :)
Nicole

mommy to
Grace 10/02
Emelia 4/05

lizamann
04-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. Looks like I may be going this direction. And Nicole, that townhouse is the very one I've been contemplating. Thanks!