PDA

View Full Version : How do you do 2 monitors for 2 rooms???

lunababy
04-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi. DS arrived and so we need to add a 2nd monitor for his room. We have the older (blue) FP Sound & Lights that we used with DD. My mom got us the new Sound & Lights (900 Mhz, the part that goes in baby's room is flat with a night light). Not sure model numbers for either.

The 900 mhz seems to be too strong and is causing a buzz in both sets of monitors.

What is our best option?
I'm wondering if there is a way to get rid of the interference buzz. Also, if there's an option just to add one of the kids' room sets and use our existing monitors that would be the best. I'm wondering if there's a way to add one listening device and then just switch channels on the parent devices to listen in on one room or the other.

Am I better off with exactly the same devices??? different brands??? etc???

Thanks.

nfowife
04-25-2006, 10:40 PM
You would need to by 2 of the same monitor if you want to use the same reciever part and switch to different channels. Have you tried switching channels on the ones you have until you find one without interference? I believe 900mhz is the weakest that's out there pretty much. Lots are even stronger at 2.4 or 5.8 ghz, now that phones are like that!

RwnMayfair
04-26-2006, 12:26 AM
We're using two of the Sony BabyCall 27 channel ones. Basically, we just have each monitor set to a different channel. So far we haven't had problems with this set up, but everyone has different experience with monitors.

If one of the ones you have can change channels, I'd go ahead and try that and see if it helps. Otherwise, like Margaret said, you need the exact same model if you want to use the same receiver and switch between them. We have that ability with ours (since they're the same model), which we use every now and then when one of the receivers is elsewhere and we're feeling too lazy to run and get it right then. ;)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003
Elowen, August 20, 2005

http://lilypie.com/pic/060313/IIfo.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/11Vom5/.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060313/Ufgo.jpg http://b1.lilypie.com/4h2Km5/.png

vdrake71
04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I have the exact same setup with the FP. Each boy has one the monitor in their room and we have two receivers in our room and two receivers on the entertainment center. I have to keep the receivers apart from each other or I will get the buzz. Sometime I will hear the buzz and I will move the monitor 6 inches in a different direction and it will fix it. I hope this helps. Just let me know if you have any more questions.

lunababy
05-01-2006, 10:38 AM
When you say same set up do you mean one of the older version and one of the new? That would be an easy fix if I just have to move the handsets.

Luckily the one my mom bought has a broken screw so I have a window here to return it and find a set up that will really work!

I think I have some screws loose right now with toddler & newborn! ;)

Thanks for info.

lunababy
05-21-2006, 10:55 PM
FYI update - The 900 mhz was causing too much interference w/our older sound & lights. So I went on ebay and ordered exactly the same model. I realized (duh!) that A & B doesn't necessarily mean the exact same channels. So...we have different listening devices for each kid. (Interference is only slightly better, but this all might be because there is a radio station very close to our home.)

Since then I have learned about Safety 1st home connection. In retrospect I wish I would ahve bought somehting like that for baby #1 adn then "grown into it".

Good luck!

new_mommy25
05-22-2006, 12:37 AM
We have the Sony Baby Call monitor in DS' room and the Phillips monitor in my room where DD sleeps. We've haven't had a problem with interference yet. IMO the FP monitor is super staticky.

lotsofjoy
05-22-2006, 03:04 AM
WE have two totally different brands... I think one is Graco and the other is Fisher Price. I think they might interfere with each other, but we just moved the receivers around the room until we found a placement that didn't have the buzz. We ended up with the one to the twins room on the mantle and the one to my older DD on top of the computer desk

It actually worked out well because we knew immediately which room needed our attention based on which side of the room the noise came from.