PDA

View Full Version : Fisher-Price 2.4 GHz Ultimate Range Monitor

klkmomof3
04-26-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm looking for a monitor with an extended range and little interference with neighbor's monitors or cordless phones. I saw the Fisher-Price 2.4 GHz Ultimate Range (1500 ft.) at Target. I've checked on-line (epinions, amazon, etc.) for reviews, but there are none as of yet. Perhaps it's too new. Any thoughts? Thanks!

proggoddess
04-26-2006, 09:04 AM
I have a Sounds n Lights one from two years ago, but it looks similar to the Ultimate Range one. I like the fact that the antennas are very short. It makes it easy to clip the monitor to your belt and go about your housework. I would think the ones with longer antennas would have to be placed on a surface near you instead. I don't know if the Ultimate Range one has a vibration feature, but that feature of ours was useful if DH was mowing in the yard and couldn't hear the receiver.

As for range, our yard is only 50x100 feet or so. For interference, 2.4 GHz is the frequency used by most cordless phones from a couple years ago. It is also the frequency used by microwave ovens. (Not a problem if your phone is an old 900 MHz or new 5.4 GHz, and if your microwave is not leaky.)

Really, I think most monitors have good sensitivity and range for most people in single family homes. It's the form factor, price, and rechargeable vs. disposable batteries that are really the differences.

AtomicLush
04-26-2006, 11:38 AM
I would NOT get the 2.4 GHz monitor if you use 2.4 GHz phones or wireless internet in or around your home. A friend purchased this and she got interference from all sources that were also 2.4 GHz. Something like this would be ideal if you have 5.8 GHz phones and no wireless internet. Otherwise, it's probably best to stick with something that uses 900 MHz technology. The range might not be as good, but it should be enough for an average sized house.