PDA

View Full Version : Sigg Waterbottles from Switzerland: Anybody has them?

boys2enough
05-11-2006, 01:05 AM
I saw this on babycenter.com and I love them! Now I must have one. LOL. But sort of pricey for a waterbottle. Anybody has one? Worth the price?

http://www.earthybirthymama.com/health/siggwaterbottles.html

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
05-11-2006, 07:32 AM
I started using them for my kids this year in school lunches and for my Kindergartner's classroom water bottle (why weren't WE allowed water bottles in the classroom??? lol). They must be handwashed, so I only allow water in them (too hard to clean, otherwise). The caps are really pretty leakproof, after a good lesson in turning them to close them properly.

I mainly got them to prevent the kids from always always drinking out of plastic (if I were really nervous, you'd think I'd let them use glass cups at home, so I must have been on a 'plastic is really bad' jag when I bought them!).

But, they have held up really well, the kids never have a complaint with water tasting funny, they don't leak, and they are easy enough to wash, and there's a certain coolness about being the only kid in school to have one (My kindergartner thinks, my second grader couldn't care less).

I froogled around to get the cheapest price, even though the decorations are pretty lame (a frog that says quak? at least it's colorful?).

I'll probably get one or two for Leah when she's into sippy cups, and my mom who always likes water in the car.

My, that was a diatribe... I must be putting off doing chores!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

brittone2
05-11-2006, 12:28 PM
They generally get good reviews but if you plan to put acidic things in them like juice they can leach (aluminum I think?). There are "green" consumer groups that have tested them (I think the green guide is one of them) and found they work very well for non-acidic things like water. Lots of people also just don't worry about the leaching.

Another one is the Klean Kanteen if you are looking around. They just came out with a kid size and are *finally* coming out w/ a sippy cup in mid June. They are stainless steel but don't have the cute designs ;)

kharden
05-11-2006, 05:28 PM
It's my understanding that these have been tested and do NOT leach. It's also my understanding though that most people prefer to still only put water in these because of the cleaning process. Ironically enough I just participated in a Klean Kanteen co-op and am eagerly awaiting those as well. The one downside I've heard about those is that some people experience a *slight* metallic taste. Also, neither of these bottles are thermally insulated, but they do have thermal accessories available for purchase to keep them cold or hot.

Stacie

Edited to delete information pertaining to a co-op that is no longer in process.

Corie
05-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Stacie,

I would love more information about this yahoo co-op group
that you are in!! :)

Thanks so much!

kharden
05-11-2006, 08:10 PM
I sent you an email Corie. :)

cdlamis
05-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Stacie-
I also emailed you about the co-op info.
Thanks!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

babybear
05-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I am also interested in the co-op and any information you may have about them.

hammer1
05-12-2006, 05:46 AM
Hi - can you tell me about this co-op and how it works, etc?. I'm very interested in the SIGG bottles -have heard lots of good things about them. Do not believe they have a metallic taste since there is a liner in the bottle.
Thanks for the information on the co-op.

Ann

kharden
05-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Okay, I just sent out the info to those that requested it.

And Ann, I was referring to the Klean Kanteen supposedly having the metallic taste. Those are a stainless steel product. The Sigg's are aluminum w/ an inner protective liner. I've ordered them both and have done extensive research on leaching and these are 2 of the top products (that are safe) to purchase in regards to this issue.

Stacie

calv
05-12-2006, 07:37 AM
while we're on the topicm, how are the sigg bottles for Milk? DD is a milk-a-holic even though she's 28 months. PITA to clean? Thanks again for the invite.

ETA: OMG, there is so much to order from. I'm overwhelmed! :) PLEASE help me. I have a 28 month old who I'd like to get these for. And of course some for DH and I. WHERE do I begin?!?! LOL. Would .4 size be just right or the other one be better?

kharden
05-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Well, I'm getting mine through the co-op and don't have them yet. A lot of people have opinions on Sigg and Klean Kanteen and which is better over at www.mothering.com I would suggest that you go there and do a search on Sigg to get further in depth information. Also, if you join the co-op you can ask those that do have previous experience with them their honest opinions.

Hope that helped.

Stacie

bricorssk
05-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Sorry wrong post!
Thanks Corina

mik8
05-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Sent you an e-mail.

boys2enough
05-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Staci,

CYE!!!! Please!!!! LOL

ETA: I wish I had checked the board yesterday. Now I am sitting here like a child waiting on Christmas morning! LOL. I am so sick. I know. Please just let me know that the co-op is not ending today?

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pcomputer.gif

calv
05-12-2006, 11:25 AM
no it's far from ending. I'm like you...i can't decide which ones to get so I'm going nuts over a silly drink bottle. They have to get an x amount of each style in order to qualify so we got a bit to go I believe.

tribecamom
05-12-2006, 11:42 AM
thanks

pampamz
05-12-2006, 11:44 AM
...is the co-op still operating?

bricorssk
05-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Yes! Email the poster above for info

neocorgi
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Stacie--

i'd love get a a few SIGG bottles too. i sent you an email earlier. :-)

-R

gcampbell72
05-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Stacie,

I would also greatly appreciate more info on the co-op.

Thanks so much!

Cathy

kharden
05-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Sorry guys~ I was gone all day. I just got home and saw my emails. I have now emailed everyone back! I believe she hopes to close the co-op on the 19th.

Stacie

lmwbasye
05-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Stacie,

I would like to join the co-op if possible, but can't seem to be able to e-mail you.

Could you please e-mail me with info at lmwbasye @ gmail.com (no spaces) if it's not too late.

Thanks so much!

Laura :)

cilantromapuche
05-13-2006, 03:46 PM
I too would love to get some. I can't figure out how to email either. My email is cporschet @ gmail.com

Thanks,

Christine

mama to A (7/03)

kharden
05-13-2006, 03:57 PM
I emailed you back. :)
Stacie

aliceinwonderland
05-13-2006, 05:12 PM
I had one for DS and was not impressed at all. I threw mine out after dents made the exterior paint peel badly. I emailed the customer service and was promised a new baby bottle that was never received.
I am springing for Kleen Kanteen for both DH and DS as soon as I actually remember to order.

manda7_23
05-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Well i hope they're good b/c i just entered my order in the database and it came to around $90! I got 1 0.3L and 2 0.4L for DD w a pouch and carrying strap and 2 extra bottle caps. I got a 0.6 City and 0.75 Sports bottle for me, 1L Traveller for Dh w/ the pouch, 2Adult carrying straps, 3 Sports bottle tops, i think that's it.

Wow, that's a lot but we drink nothing but water and are exploring the outdoors a lot here in Alaska so i think they will be very useful! Thanks for the info!

Amanda

luvtoshop
05-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I am also interested in this co-op. Please send me the info. Thanks!

luvtoshop
05-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Just sent you an email. Thanks!

brittone2
05-15-2006, 10:14 AM
I can't find the original link and the consumer organization site that tested these is in German. I did read an original review many months ago about it but I can't locate it now.

If you scroll about 3/4 of the way down this page there is a summary of the test results they found. Still very safe but it did leach a bit at higher temps etc.

http://new.thegreenguide.com/justask/board.mhtml?bid=26

holliam
05-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Can I make a small suggestion? It's great that there are co-op lists out there that offer discounts to us. But, it's a huge risk to all the co-op lists if we advertise them on a big site like this. So, it might work better to be more cryptic about these things in the future.

:)

Holli

boys2enough
05-15-2006, 01:15 PM
You are definitely right. Although the PP was pretty discreet about it. She didn't give the co-op address openly.

The co-op actually has been cancelled. I feel so sorry for this lady who has been working so hard and spent so much time on it already...

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

kharden
05-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Just so you know, it was okay'ed by the co-op owner that the co-op info get posted here. She felt that there have been so many recent SIGG co-op's that it would not be a problem (there is one that is currently finishing up on a public site such as this one). She even said I could post the link, but having personally been in a co-op that got cancelled, I refrained from doing so. So essentially, I WAS being cryptic. I think we're on the same page.

Stacie

holliam
05-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Cool deal! Sorry to sound like the co-op police. My co-op lists pretty much wig out if members post to big public sites so I was reacting based on that!

Holli

kharden
05-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Most of the other one's I'm on don't want anyone posting either (if you do you risk life, limb, and all else). lol

This turn of event's was the pits. I had a large order. :( Ah well. Next!

Corie
05-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Just curious...

How does everyone find all these co-op lists to be a member??

Is it just being lucky to know someone who can get you in?

boys2enough
05-15-2006, 01:43 PM
It was very nice for the co-op owner to allow folks to post about the co-op. Sigg was supposed to know from the get go that it's a co-op order. It is possible that words got around when the co-op group became bigger (partly b/s of this thread that I started, so I feel bad towards people who were in the co-op first), and a retaiiler got wind of it and complained to Sigg. Otherwise we can't figure out why Sigg suddenly changed its "corporate policy" in the midst of everything.

This is all very upsetting. Again, the co-op owner is the one who deserves all the sympathy, after all the hours she put in. SIGH.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

manda7_23
05-15-2006, 11:50 PM
I agree! How the heck are you supposed to find out about these smaller co-op groups then? I think she was being very discreet, i mean she didn't openly post the group adress or anything.

I can certainly understand Sigg not wanted co-ops anymore but to cancel in the middle of an order is just bad customer service IMO.

Amanda

holliam
05-16-2006, 08:10 AM
The lists I am on require that current members know the people they recommend to join personally in real life--it's not enough to know someone online. Typically once you are on one of the lists, you build a reputation and it is easier to get on others.

The problem with even talking about some of these co-ops on a large board is that really just anyone could be another retailer lurking, pretend to innocently join the list and then report the co-op to the manufacturer. It's even happened on one of our local groups.

The co-op lists typically offer discounts from 20-50% off retail prices. They really don't make a profit on these transactions since they are so time-consuming. Basically, they do it to help folks get a good deal on quality products.

Holli

Corie
05-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Holli,

Thanks for the info! :)

Melanie
05-17-2006, 02:26 AM
So back to the original topic. I have had SIGGs for a few months now. We only drink water. I do think I still taste a bit of a metallic taste. However, i *detest* drinking anything out of aluminum cans so maybe I am ultra-sensitive. I worry about the aluminum aspect, but after watching the graphic on the manufacturer's website several times I became convinced no aluminum is touching our water.

I'm going to pick up a kleen kanteen next time I see one, or maybe the sippy cup; to compare.