PDA

View Full Version : ok, best sunscreen?

skohng
05-11-2006, 02:11 PM
hi all,

maybe this has been asked before (if so sorry!) but what's a good sunscreen? after reading up on all the potential chemical dangers i'm a bit picky!

also, do you use sunscreen EVERY time you go out, even for a stroller walk? how anal should i/shouldn't i be?

oh on that note, please recommend some good sunglasses! (ds is 13mo)

thanks!

new_mommy25
05-11-2006, 03:26 PM
We use Circle of Friends or Jason's.

samiam
05-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Blue Lizard comes highly recommended by our pediatric dermatologist. You can find it at bluelizard.net or at drugstore.com

My son is very fair skinned and we use it anytime we go outside when the son is out. The only time we skip it is if we got outside for a bit on a cloudy day (but my understanding is that it should be used even then).

jd11365
05-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Having just been diagnosed with a melanoma, I am now officially a sunscreen nut. I never thought about it before, though I was never a sun-worshipper. I don't like the beach, and never spend much time in the sun, so it was never a concern. Well, if I can get a melanoma, that means anyone can. So yes, even for a stroller walk. Mine is/was on the shoulder that gets the sun when sitting in the car, so perhaps that was it, so I tinted my windows as well. Tinting provides protection as well. I'm currently using a spray mist because I feel like I get more coverage, and it's easy to do. It doesn't feel like a chore. I just spray myself down before I get dressed so it soaks in by the time I leave out the door. I do the same for Kayla. I'm loving the one by Neutrogena called Cool Mist.

HTH!

HannaAddict
05-11-2006, 05:21 PM
We have California Baby for body, etc. and use Neutrogena (facial) Moisturizer with SPF 15 for his face, on our ped's rec. My son is very fair with blue eyes, like his mom, and the Neutrogena (facial) Moisturizer (in a pump bottle) has worked great, goes on easily and isn't hard to rub in on his face.

I saw Aveeno was coming out with sunscreen too and they get a decent score for lack of harmful chemicals in other baby products, so they might be a cheaper option than California Baby. Just a thought.

HTH,
Kimberly

crl
05-11-2006, 05:39 PM
We use Blue Lizard sensitive. I'm going off of my SIL's research. Her DD had a mole removed last year at the age of 7 (turned out not to be cancer thank god) and SIL did a lot of research, talking to derms, pharmacists, etc. I do use one of the sticks from another brand (waterbabies, maybe) on DS' face to prevent it from running into his eyes. When he's a little older I'll switch to the Blue Lizard on his face too.

I put it on everytime we are going to be outside (so not just for walking to the car) unless it is actually raining. But my DS will not keep a hat or sunglasses on. . . .

(BTW, I used to work for a dermatologist and one place that people forget to put sunscreen is the ears. It's a particularly bad place for cancer too from a cosmetic point of view. So, make sure you get those ears!)

octmom
05-11-2006, 06:27 PM
nak

Angie,

Did I miss your birth announcement? CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

miki
05-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Blue Lizard is supposed to be a good brand because the testing that supports their product claims is done to Australian standards which are more stringent than US standards.

L'Oreal makes sunscreen with an ingredient called Mexoryl which blocks UVA better than oher chemical sunscreen ingredients. But it's not approved by the FDA so not available in the US but you can buy it in Canada and Europe. This NYT article from last year talks about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/09/fashion/thursdaystyles/09skin.html?ex=1275969600&en=0524f42d836ff4ef&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

babybear
05-11-2006, 09:38 PM
What about the hats and stuff that have spf? I am looking for something that is waterproof also.

Thanks!

I hate to hijack the thread.

shilo
05-11-2006, 11:17 PM
we've been using neutrogena at the suggestion of my pedi and my DH's/my dad's derm (just about every other member of both sides of the family is a fair-skined redhead ;). as far as alternatives to chemical sunscreens, i have hats, t-shirts, rash guards and swim trunks that have SPF weave in them for DS. also, have you considered a full-coverage stroller sun shade like a Sasha's? they block 65% of UVA/UVB rays. they make them for just about any stroller and i even have a friend who got one for her BOB revolution even tho they don't list it as a model they design for - turns out they make them, just that BOB won't let them advertise that they make it for their strollers, so if they don't have yours listed, worth contacting them. DS doesn't seem to mind it at all when we are out walking the trails. he clearly can see out just fine based on the excited babbles that are emitted everytime something interesting passes in front of the stroller.
http://www.sashaskiddieproducts.com/

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

anamika
05-12-2006, 10:55 AM
from a previous thread here and some mags, we started using Neutorgena sensitive skin spf 30. it's a non chemical sunscreen.
Lori, I love your siggie :)

skohng
05-12-2006, 03:20 PM
great! thanks for these recs. i'll look into blue lizard and neutrogena. those sunshades look great too. gosh, the days of baking out in the sun are long gone huh.

zen_bliss
05-14-2006, 11:29 PM
i use mustela's 50 spf even for rides in the car on overcast days. we're in soCal, so the sun is a big presence year-round, and DD is scandinavian fair. we use the kidz banz sunglasses or from gymboree last year.

fauve01
05-16-2006, 09:40 PM
So sorry about your melanoma--how scary! Thanks for the info on Neutrogena Cool Mist. i am loving the dry touch neutrogena lotion, but i just saw a two-pack of the cool mist spray at Costco so i thought we'd give that a try. i've been meaning to pick up a bottle for the beach/park bag and also the car.

thanks~

Anne

skohng
05-28-2006, 10:36 PM
resurrecting this thread to ask, where can i find blue lizard IRL? does babies r us carry it, or even walgreens?

love the cool mist suggestion. will look into that too!!

ett
05-28-2006, 10:55 PM
I saw Blue Lizard at CVS.

boygirl3
05-29-2006, 11:13 AM
I've read a lot of articles that indicate that the sunscreen should have either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. I know Banana Boat has a new baby tear free sunscreen out that has titanium dioxide in it...otherwise Blue Lizard.

1964pandora
05-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi. Since you're asking about the safest sunscreen, I thought I'd chime in to say that, unfortunately, most of the sunscreens mentioned contain some chemicals that have been linked to cancer. I've posted links that contain information about Mustela 50 and Blue Lizard, for starters. The ingredients in both of them are of "moderate concern" according to the Environmental Working Group, a non-profit consumer health advocacy group. You can find better sunscreens that are of "low concern," such as California Baby. You can check the safety of all of your personal care products (or most of them) on the Environmental working Group's website.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/index.php

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/report.php?type=PRODUCT&id=8809703

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/report.php?type=PRODUCT&id=8809703

Here's a page that lists some of the sunscreens that scored well.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/search.php?nperpage=10&main_cat=SKIN+CARE&category=Sunscreen/Tanning%20Oil

Susan

skohng
05-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Susan,

Thanks for the link, I had seen it before but couldn't remember the website. Very helpful!

Some of the sunscreens listed that scored well don't list titanium dioxide or zinc oxide as ingredients. So I'm a little confused as to what is considered "safe".

Are there other websites that discuss this? It's so amazing how much caution we have to use. I don't think I became conscious of sunscreen until I was in my early twenties!

Canna
05-31-2006, 11:31 AM
My Walgreens has Blue Lizard.

Corie
05-31-2006, 01:12 PM
My grandpa always forgot to put sunscreen on his bald spot.

Corie
05-31-2006, 01:22 PM
All of the Ocean Potion sunscreens contain Parsol 1789.

http://www.opotion.com/cart/product_info.php?products_id=95

Sangiovese
06-01-2006, 04:50 PM
This sunscreen stuff is giving me a headache. I thought that I had figured it out. So, I'm either going to die from skin cancer or the chemicals in sunscreen. I thought that zinc oxide and titanium dioxide (the two ingredients that are used in "sensitive skin" sunscreen and many baby sunscreens) were very safe because they are physical blocks (not chemical). So now I'm wondering - do they say anywhere how much these chemicals are soaked in? If these are physical blocks, it seems like they would just sit on the skin vs. chemical which would bond with skin. I don't get it! (Please don't take offense - I'm just getting really frustrated with the whole sunscreen extravaganza and I do appreciate the information. When I have more time, I'll look into the websites instead of just glancing at the info.)

Thanks for your info!

mom to little e
06-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Not sure if you got this answered or not, but we found BL at Walgreens surprisingly.

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

calv
06-14-2006, 08:03 AM
bump, any more thoughts on sunblock?

Hmmmm, BL or california baby? BTW, what's parsol 1789? I take it that it could be harmful?

mik8
06-14-2006, 12:41 PM
This is "my" own personal humble opinion on the sunscreen controversies. I think that an abundance of dispendables around us, if consumed or used in massive quantities, could potentially be carcinogenic. Even the popular peanut butter has its own carcinogenic issues and a lot of simmering debates are out there concerning this (and we eat plenty of peanut butter in our household). This is true with other products. To understand a little better about sunscreens, we probably need to learn a bit more about ultraviolet light for which the sun emits. There are 3 types according to its wavelengths: UVA, UVB and UVC.

UVC is completely absorbed by gases in the atmosphere before it reaches the ground. UVA and UVB are longer wavelengths and pass right through the atmosphere even on a cloudy day. That's why one can still get sunburned on a hazy day. Sunscreens mostly absorb UVB but UVA is another story. Up to this date, debates are continuing to evolve about how "most" sunscreens do not protect against the longer UVA wavelength. Why? Because scientists, to this date, must still figure out the accurate and precise wavelength of UV that contribute to formation of skin cancer. An ideal sunscreen is supposed to be one that will protect you from ALL of the UVA spectrum. In fact, very recently (I think just last month), sunscreen makers are sued for misleading claims.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12081374/

FDA still need to resolve a lot of the controversies regarding sunscreen labels to make it more clearer to the consumers.

This being said, I think it all boils down to "informed decision" when choosing what's right for your consumption. Using sunscreen, ALONG with other protective measures (avoiding sun during middle of the day when atmosphere absorbs less of the harmful UV rays, wearing a wide-brimmed hat and protective clothing, over exposure to sun, etc...), so far is the best way to fight against skin cancer.

And what kind of sunscreen do we use? One that doesn't sting my DD's eyes. :D

Just IMHO...... ;-)

ett
06-14-2006, 01:49 PM
There are 2 different types of sunscreens. One is a physical block sunscreen and the other one is a chemical sunscreen. A physical block sunscreen contains titatium oxide and/or zinc oxide, which will block both UVA and UVB rays. A chemical sunscreen will only block UVB rays, unless it contains Parsol 1789, which will also block UVA rays. For the chemical sunscreens, make sure it contains "avobenzone" as an active ingredient. Not all chemical sunscreens on the market will contain avobenzone, even if it claims to protect against both UVA/UVB rays.

Here are a couple of physical block sunscreens:
- Neutrogena Sensitive Skin
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=55697&catid=12101&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=12101&trxp2=55697&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH
- California Baby SPF30+ Sunscreen, No Fragrance
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=144575&catid=48226&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=48226&trxp2=144575&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

Here are a couple of chemical suncreens that contains avobenzone:
- Neutrogena Sunblock Lotion, SPF 45
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=27873&catid=12101&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=12101&trxp2=27873&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH
- Coppertone Oil Free Sunblock Lotion, SPF 45
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=39344&catid=12101&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=12101&trxp2=39344&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH
- Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Lotion SPF 45
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16286&catid=12101&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=12101&trxp2=16286&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

These are just quick searches from drugstore.com. There are a good number of chemical sunscreens that don't contain avobenzone so read the ingredient list carefully.

HTH!

Corie
06-14-2006, 03:19 PM
I was told that you WANT your sunblock to have Parsol 1789.
That is why I was recommending the Ocean Potion line of
sunscreen. If you go to the Ocean Potion website, there
is lots of info about Parsol 1789.

FWIW, my daily facial moisturizer contains an SPF AND
Parsol 1789.

calv
06-14-2006, 05:56 PM
thank you! I'm bummed they don't sell it at a store near me. I'll have to check out whole foods to see what they have

Mikesa3
06-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks for asking this and for all who replied. I came to these boards today because I know I can always for good info here for any questions I have. Although with all the links posted I think it will be awhile before I know what sunscreen I'm buying this year.....
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

calv
06-08-2007, 12:53 PM
~~bump~~

went to whole foods and got an Alba Botanic sunscreen that was highly recommend by the employee there. It's going right back and I'm pretty upset because according to this:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/product.php?prod_id=70504&refurl=%2Fwordsearch.php%3Fquery%3Dsun+sunscreen%2 6

it's rated a 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmintzer
06-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Corie,
Parsol 1789 IS Avobenzone. Same thing. You are right that it's a good thing to have.

lmintzer
06-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Now, does anyone know the answer to this one?

What % Avobenzone is enough? One of my "baby" sunscreens has it, but only 1%. My
Neurtrogena has 3%, and one of our other suncreens has 2%.

Is it "the more the merrier" or is there a cutoff or is any amount okay?