PDA

View Full Version : Where to Buy Safe Play Sand?

annasmom
05-12-2006, 12:53 PM
I think I have decided to get a sand box for my dc this weekend, or at least check them out at TRU. They love to dig, as is being demonstrated right now as they tear apart all of our landscaping!!

I have been reading about the different kinds of sand that are out there, and was wondering whether anyone could tell me where I can buy some safe play sand. Will I be able to buy it at TRU?? Home Depot, Lowes?

dbianca23
05-12-2006, 01:17 PM
apparently you can get play sand at those type of places, but after looking at this site - www.safesand.com, i'm not sure what to do. i need to get sand soon and that site kinda freaked me out, but then again i wonder if it's just some scam b/c their sand is so expensive. has anyone done the research on this?

Jo..
05-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Eileen, I saw play sand at TRU, I think it said something about being clean & safe. I wouldn't think the sand from HD or Lowes would be as clean as it's made for other purposes, but maybe other people have researched that more. For a laugh, go read this. Your post reminded me of it, someone was looking for sand on FW, and everyone there is cheap so the poster wanted to steal it from the beach :D

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=24&threadid=569329&highlight_key=y&keyword1=sand

annasmom
05-12-2006, 02:04 PM
You see!! After reading a website like www.safesand.com, stealing sand from the beach doesn't sound like such a bad idea, lol!! Oh man, I will never convince my dh that we need to buy a sandbox, if the SAND COSTS $50 A BAG!!!! Isn't there anywhere you can buy natural sand??

Jo..
05-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Pssst. Beach. (Go at night) Sift it through some bleach water or something to kill all the cat poop germs :D.

Yeah, that safe sand site is scary. I'm SURE you can get real sand cheaper. (Or free) http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33426.jpg

Jo..
05-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Okay last time I'm weighing in on the matter, this time I'll be serious. I found a ton of good info here

http://www.onceuponalife.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-26221.html

"Silica is not inherently carcinogenic. Small particles are. Any inhalable materials-- smoke, silica, asbestos, even hay-- can lead to lung cancer if inhaled regularly over many years. This primarily happens in an occupational setting however (mining, construction) where exposure to silica can be of a long duration (eight hours a day, five days a week for years) and quite high. I guess, that it the reason for the warning on the bag because silica is considered carcinogenic, and law dictates the warning I presume.

Sand consists of large particles of silicates and aluminosilicates (0.05-2 millimeters). Inhalable particles are in the 0.0001 millimeter size range. The percent of inhalable particles, silica or other, present in ANY bag of sand is not likely to be large enough for concern."

annasmom
05-12-2006, 02:40 PM
O.k., that seems to make sense. Thanks Jo!!

boys2enough
05-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I purchased 4 bags of playsand from TRU at $4++ each. The guy told me that they are washed and cleaned, different from the OTHER ones, and hence the higher price. When I dragged them and dumped them in our sand pit (50Lb.s each small bag!) I was wowed. They feel so so so nice. Totally different from the sand that DH got from some hardware store a while back ago.

The TRU guy actually told me to add water to the sand I bought so that it can be molded. Something about the TRU playsand being "dry sand" as opposed to wet sand.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pcomputer.gif

Melanie
05-17-2006, 02:31 AM
Yep, I buy ours at TRU. It's a bargain. Here's a tip, sand is seasonal so keep an extra bag around in case you want to refill in the winter. We learned that one the hard way. We have a sand & water table but only do one at a time (just fill both sides). We usually keep sand in the winter and water in the summer and slacked on refilling it for the winter until it was too late.

MelissaTC
05-17-2006, 08:04 AM
I have gotten Play Sand at both Home Depot and TRU and could not find any difference between the two except price. Just mho!