PDA

View Full Version : Are STOCKMAR crayons really worth the cost??

Corie
05-14-2006, 02:03 PM
My daughter is a crazy lady when it comes to drawing pictures.
She loves it! Would she even know the difference if I bought
her Stockmar crayons?
Also, how does the size of the Stockmar crayons compare to
Crayola? The Stockmar crayons look fatter but I can't tell
for sure.

What do you think?? Thanks for your help!

sdbc
05-14-2006, 02:07 PM
We haven't bought them, and I hear they are great, but DD is perfectly happy with Crayola, so I can't just can't justify spending the extra bucks.

Ceepa
05-14-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure but I think they may be harder to clean up if a little one gets enthusiastic with scribbling!

The colors do look incredible, though.

zen_bliss
05-14-2006, 11:25 PM
we have the blocks -- yes, absolutely worth it. the color and texture is different, and they will last through several kids. i got ours as a hand-me down, and now having used them, i would say the cost is justified, and will buy more.

ellies mom
05-15-2006, 12:01 AM
My DD used to go through box of 8 regular crayons every 6-8 weeks. We bought her a box of the Stockmar crayons (about the size of the jumbo crayola) for Christmas and we only have one that is broken. She loves them. They aren't washable but we have always been able to remove it from whatever surface she got overly creative on. That said, I don't know if she would notice the difference. Oh, and I think having a metal tin really helps because the cardboard box was usually pretty tattered rather quickly as well.

brittone2
05-15-2006, 10:06 AM
We love them. They are fatter but they also just last a LOT longer...way longer IMO because the texture is different as a PP mentioned.

I'm not sure DS cares all that much but I like them :) The colors are IMO way better and the texture much smoother.

Melanie
05-17-2006, 02:27 AM
Absolutely! And the bonus is they are indestructible! Ds has had his since he was 1 1/2.

ismommy
05-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Would you recommend the crayons or the blocks? Or a combination? Thanks so much
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner

brittone2
05-17-2006, 10:11 AM
IMO they are both good. We started with blocks and later added sticks.

In the "Waldorf-y" school of thinking about art the blocks are for doing shading and big areas, and the sticks for more detail. Some Waldorf teachers used to advocate for starting kids with blocks so they didn't learn to outline and then fill in, rather than drawing more holistically (I'm no artist so I hope I'm explaining this okay). Sticks were introduced later.

However, there are now some Waldorf teachers that think starting with sticks teaches a more appropriate grip that makes it easier to learn how to hold a pencil. Holding the blocks can supposedly alter this grip.

Long story short, some kids prefer the blocks, some the sticks, and some both :) I don't think it much matters as long as your kid enjoys them :)

kcimato
05-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Where can you buy these crayons?

ismommy
05-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and bought both:) Blocks for Gunner and sticks for Bella though I am sure they will share. I am excited to get them.
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner

zuzu
05-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Sarah uses both types, and has since she was about 1 1/2, so I'm sure Bella and Gunner will enjoy both sets. :)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Corie
05-19-2006, 09:26 AM
I just ordered the Stockmar sticks. I bought the tincase
with 16 crayons.

I also bought a set of Lyra colored pencils. A tincase
with 12 pencils.