PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for wooden vs plastic swingset?

tny915
05-15-2006, 02:24 PM
We've just started researching this, and DH and I have different opinions as to what to get. He likes the plastic look, I prefer wood. He was looking at this playset by Step 2.

http://tinyurl.com/nb73q

I showed him some of the pics you've posted of your playsets and browsed the Cedarworks site, but for the most part he was not impressed. I was at a loss trying to explain why wood was better. Is it? Is it more than just aesthetics? We live in a foggy area and DH is concerned that the year-round moisture will cause more problems with wood.

I know the general wood vs plastic question gets asked a lot, but can you answer it one more time for me? Thanks!

brittone2
05-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Well, most of the wooden sets are pretty big. That is good in that it gives the set more longevity, but bad for those parents that feel uncomfortable at the thought of their toddler being 5-6 feet off the ground.

The plastic sets do deteriorate over time from sun exposure etc. Wood needs some maintenance although cedar needs less overall. Some of the sets are treated with ACQ lumber, which is "better" than the old pressure treated lumber (which contained arsenic), but if you read sheets on ACQ at the lumber store, it still cautions you not to touch your mouth or eat without washing your hands. Since toddlers still mouth their hands when teething, etc. that's something to think about. Some people treat/stain their cedar and some people let theirs weather more naturally. Some of the wood vs. plastic is aesthetics as you said.

Most of the plastic sets are smaller. Several people here have mentoined their older kids consider those sets too "babyish".

The plastic sets take up less room which is helpful if you have a smaller yard. If you put the recommended amount of padding and leave the perimeter you are supposed to leave of protective surface around a set, you'd need a lot less area with a plastic set.

If you haven't looked at the plastic sets IRL, you may want to compare the size to some of the wooden ones.

We opted for an inexpensive metal set for now (about $200) as it was cheaper than almost all of the bigger plastic sets and much cheaper than wood. We'll re-evaluate that decision down the road. I'd like a cedar set, but the metal set is sized great for DS right now, we may move in 3 years, and I'm not sure that at 2 he's "missing" anything by not having a bigger set. So we opted to start small and buy a bigger set if needed down the road.

ETA: the nicer quality wooden sets aren't that splintery (I don't think they are anyway), but you can always still have DC end up w/ splinters with any type of wood. Not an issue w/ plastic.

luvsviola
05-17-2006, 05:53 PM
You might also check with your homeowner's association. Ours will not allow anyting but wood.

Tondi G
05-19-2006, 03:39 PM
I think the step 2 stuff is great! My DS's preschool has this one

http://www.sensationalbeginnings.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=O+5+7450D&Cat=

the kids seem to really enjoy it! That being said my DS is a BIG 4, almost 5, year old and it is getting kinda "small" for him! I am sure if you decided to go with the plastic playset and then wanted to upgrade to a wooden one later you could still get a lot of your $ back by selling it on craigslist or ebay!

Check out this site too... your Dh may like these sets

http://www.childlife.com/playsystems/sandcastle.html

Good Luck
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

lotsofjoy
05-22-2006, 03:19 AM
My ILs just got the Naturally playful clubhouse climber. There aren't any swings, but it's pretty cool. It's great for the 2 year olds. But the 4.5 year old is almost too big for it. It's actually quite a bit smaller than they make it look in the picture.

But it's well made and will probably last forever.

Just make sure to measure carefully so you truly understand what the size is if you can't see it for real before you buy.

JBaxter
05-22-2006, 07:18 AM
We went wood/maintence free set. It was a little more expensive but I also have a 14yr & 11yr old that swing and play w/ their brother. Yea I have a 5ft11in 14yr old swinging and going across the hand bars. I know I wont have to replace it when Nathan ( now 2 1/2) is 7 or 8 and will have lots of use left. I chose a model that has glider style swing for ME!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33627.jpg