PDA

View Full Version : aquarium gravel for a sand/water table?

holliam
05-17-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm very much not in love with sand. We have some in a small sandbox, and I have no desire to put it in the sand/water table. I'm tired of cleaning sand out of toddler crevices!

I want something scoopable that won't have to be removed frequently and that won't be impaired by water from the water side. (Thus things like beans and dried pasta are not ideal here).

DH is researching aquariums for his upcoming birthday present, and he suggested using aquarium gravel. What a fabulous idea I thought!

There are so many types and it's scoopable and it's designed to go in water but not to leach toxins because it's for fishies. I'm thinking we could get a few different kinds even.

Any input?

Holli

JBaxter
05-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I use something called pea gravel in my "sandbox" Nathan loves it and it works great for scooping and loading in his dump truck. I need quite alot so aquarium gravel would have been to expensive but for smaller areas I think it would work well.

Beth568
05-17-2006, 05:28 PM
My DD's preschool uses several different types of aquarium gravel in one of their water tables. They bought it at a big pet supply store. It works well, the kids love the different textures, and, as you point out, it's designed to be nontoxic.

The teachers did point out to me that it might not be the best idea for young toddlers (I was thinking of getting some for the water table my 18 month old uses) because some of the larger stones could present choking hazards, and even a handful of the stuff probably isn't great in the mouth. My DD doesn't often put things in her mouth, though, so I may go ahead with it and just be sure to supervise her.

DebbieJ
05-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Holli,

That is brilliant!

There is far too much sand outside our sand/water table right now and it's driving me nuts!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Joolsplus2
05-18-2006, 10:39 AM
<flip flip flip> Idea filed away in brain for later use.... LOVE IT!

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

dules
05-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Ours is in the grass, and I wouldn't relish picking up the gravel that DD would likely drop in the grass, so for that reason I prefer sand. The gravel would probably be very pretty, though, especially when wet. ;)

Best,
Mary