PDA

View Full Version : A question for Thomas enthusiasts

SpaceGal
05-18-2006, 07:49 PM
So we took the plunge and started the whole train thing for DS who is 15 months.

We started with Thomas since it's just easier to get and I know it's good quality and will last.

So far we got DS the Water Tower figure 8 set and the figure 8 expansion pack from TRU since they were running some promos and we had gift cards. Now I know that's the best way to start...but I guess from my stand point it's kind of boring. I did also buy the 60th Anniversary set which I liked since it was an anniversary set...something I'm a total sucker for.

I did also purchase the Edward the Great set which seems boring but comes with a large number of trains and vehicles and the Sodor Quarry set which came with the Quarry mine and some crane thing. I know I don't need 4 sets but I gather that's the best bang for your buck rather than buying tracks and destinations separately. I went a bit nuts with all the Thomas stuff since I've recently found lots of deals and figure I'll just save it to give DS over time and stuff. Plus AC Moore had 50% pff this week so I figured it would be good to stock up now.

Okie so here's my question...is it better to buy sets that come with destinations you don't already have or to get sets that have exclusive trains/vehicles? I'm debating what's the best value. I haven't really got him a ton of trains just yet, so I'm not sure what's more important...lots of trains or a variety of destination to make the table look more fun?? What is your train set up like and what is in your train collection?

Thank you for your advice and input for this soon to be crazy Thomas fan. I actually think I might be collecting more for myself than DS for now. :)

tilly2321
05-18-2006, 10:34 PM
We are two years into our Thomas obsession and it is still going strong. Just when I think my almost four year old is "over" thomas, he gets right back into it. I think buying sets is really the best bang for your buck, especially when you are finding them at a good price. the only problem we had with doing that was that we wound up with lots of doubles, (thomas, bertie, etc..). Some sets have exclusive "bridges". We want to build the "let's have a race set," but don't have the bridge thingy that is exclusive to it. Some trains used to just be exclusive to sets also , but then that changes too. Culdee only used to be available in the down at the docks set, but then they released him as part of an "apple orchard" set. Bulstrode (the boat)is still exlusive to that set though (as far as I know). So, I guess my point in all of this rambling is that the track is better off to be bought in sets for the value. As far as engines, what your Ds likes will probably change. My son will see a video and then want one of the trains in it. We wanted oliver for forever after he saw him at a friend's house, but didn't want to spend the money on the five pack that he comes in since we had all of the other trains. We finally broke down and got Oliver and the smelting yard with a coupon at Ac Moore. Sometimes, it's hard to anticipate what they will want and when, ya know. Just when you think you have to break down and buy a set to get an exclusive engine, they release the engine some other way. Also, check ebay since many sellers will sell retired or "exlusive to set" engines individually.
You are going to love Thomas. we have logged literally hundreds of hours playing at the table. we build tracks, act out adventures, have races, etc... It's an expensive product, but definitely a good one. I hope my daughter likes it since there is so much to play with around here!
Hope this info helps you,
Elle

SpaceGal
05-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks Elle!

Yeah I took a dive, 4 train sets and miscellanous items I got during that crazy TRU frenzy. DH has only seen two sets so far, I don't want to frighten him too much.

Yeah so far not that many doubles...I tried not to get too Many Thomas' altho I already have 3...I was dumb and bought a loose one...DUH me! Oh well I guess I can throw one in the car and my bag for the toy I don't worry about losing but he'll like.

I'm kind of thinking of going for track and destinations...and get trains as we go along. Right now he has no idea what's what he just likes trains in general and gets all upset when we leave a train table. At least that way our train table looks interesting in terms of set up. Trains can come along later....I do really want the Chinese Dragon tho...cuz we're asian...I think I'll give him that for Chinese New Year. :)

I did see that Bulstrode boat thing you mention at AC Moore...in some "exclusive" set that comes with Cranky and some lighthouse and a train. I was skeptical about the "exclusiveness" like you mention since Edward the Great set had special trains but all it is is a special facial expression. I do wish I could get an aquarium tho...I might have to ebay that. It looks nice and fun. :)

Thank you again for sharing your experiences with me.

tilly2321
05-19-2006, 06:48 AM
I want the aquarium too!! I broke down once and got a mail station from ebay that was exclusive to Harold and the mail delivery station.
It wound up being great since my DS loved it. Sometimes, we just have to break down and bite the bullet, huh? The chinese dragon is a beautiful train.
I love sharing my Thomas experiences with others. It has just been such a great purchase. I plan on saving it for my grandchildren since I doubt it will ever stop being popular.
Elle

SpaceGal
05-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Hahaha!! Too funny I was reasoning the same thing. I want a nice set since I'm gonna pass to our grandkids and so on. And I figured I suppose it's cool for him to associate Thomas with the TV show which could be bad but whatever.

I know I keep kicking myself for not buying the Harold set either. I saw it on special that one time but I wasn't sure about trains yet then so I wasn't sure if I was ready to take the plunge yet. Of course $200 bucks or so later it's all different. :)

nitaghei
05-19-2006, 10:20 AM
We really didn't do the set route. DS got the Water Tower Set as a gift, and also a generic set, which came with a ton of track. After that, I've just been buying engines and destinations as well as bridges depending on DS's interest. Generally, I let him pick what he wants. He likes the destinations, but he also likes having really, really long trains - that seems pretty common, based on my observation at the play tables at the Thomas store (we go pretty much every week). I have always bought Thomas using the 40%/50% coupons at Micheal's or AC Moore, so I actually get the best value buying individual pieces and get minimal duplication.

The most played with options for DS are Cranky the Crane, the Roundhouse and any of the bridges/tunnels. DS likes complicated layouts with at least two levels. He likes accessories that are interactive, like the Barrel loader. He likes bridges and tunnels. For trains, in additions to the engines, he plays a LOT with the Zoo train, the Museum cars and the Break-down train.

Not sure if this helped in any way. But, if you don't have a lot of trains, that's what I would recommend focusing on right now. The engines/ carriages definitely get a lot more play than the destinations.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

"Moderation is best in all things." Hesiod

SpaceGal
05-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi Nita,

Yeah I'm thinking trains too right now...hehehehe. I opened the Water Tower set today for DS and DH was like gee not that many engines or trains huh. I just laughed. Ugh if he knly knew the thoughts in my head.

I admit the figure 8 things looks so blah to me tho so every now and then I'll add to it I guess.

I just wanted to comment on your signature "Moderation is best in all things." I laughed because obviously I'm having issues with that and Thomas stuff. :)

Thank you for the tips...BTW are 50% coupons common at AC Moore...if so how common...once a month, once a quarter?? Just curious I guess. Wasn't sure if I had to go nuts right now since this week was a good coupon.

nitaghei
05-19-2006, 11:19 AM
50% coupons aren't that common, but you can sign up for email and get a 40% coupon every week. AC Moore will also take Joann's and Michael's coupons (they all take competitor's coupons, actually). I can generally find a 50% coupon from at least one store every two to three months. I am on the email list for both Joann's and AC Moore (I also paper scrap, and started card making recently), and both send me coupons weekly.

For me, the issue has been NOT using the coupons (y'know - the moderation thing :) ) Honestly, DS has so much Thomas at this point, I can no longer justify getting him any more, even though he plays with the trains every single day. It helps that most of the new destination make noise - which is an automatic bar here. BTW, I got email today from Learning Curve about new battery operated Thomas and James that have working headlights and make a "chugga chugga" sound. FWIW.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

"Moderation is best in all things." Hesiod

jec2
05-19-2006, 11:27 AM
I agree with somebody else that while buying sets is probably the most affordable way to add on, you do end up with doubles and I just sort of like the idea of a gradual accumulation with special pieces for special occasions (christmas, birthday, etc). I used to have collections when I was young and it was always sort of exciting to open another piece for my collection. All that being said, I think that you could still buy a few affordable sets and break them down and split up throughtout the year. You could even gift some duplicates to others. And, to more specifically address you question, "is it better to buy sets that come with destinations you don't already have or to get sets that have exclusive trains/vehicles?" I usually buy what looks fun, is maybe related to a current fascination of my son's, and that is a good deal.