PDA

View Full Version : Something for DD to push around house while crawling?

kusiakje
05-18-2006, 11:10 PM
DD has recently decided that she must spend several minutes each day pushing her high chair around our dining area. Anyone have any suggestions for something smaller and easier to maneuver for her? (And thus, less likely to knock things over around the house?)

TIA,

Jessica
Mom to Katarina (DOB 9/16/05)

NatalieM
05-19-2006, 08:20 AM
My DD is not walking yet, but she LOVES pushing things around the house. Although I haven't found that one thing that is perfect we have several options. For her 1st birthday last week her grandparents got her a toddlerock chair and ottoman and shes been pushing the ottoman all around. When I buy the big bins at Target to store her clothes in that no longer fit, she pushes that around and has a blast! The same goes for medium size carboard boxes that we get deliveries in. At daycare she pushes a child size chair all around. If you find someone else let me know! HTH :-)

holliam
05-19-2006, 09:52 AM
My DD is almost exactly 1 year older than yours and this time last year she LOVED cruising with her Radio Flyer walker wagon. She still uses it now, but very differently! :)

Holli

kimbe
05-19-2006, 10:33 AM
DD love pushing laundry baskets around. We use the Rubbermaid Hip Hugger ones because they don't have any sharp edges. We've got one filled with toys and one with stuffed animals. Her favorite though is when we fill up one with socks, onesies etc --- she pushes it stops and then throws stuff out of it.

Ceepa
05-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Very similarly, DS decided that he loved to push a Rubbermaid bin around. It was just the right size for him and we taped Swiffer pads to the bottom so it wouldn't scratch the floor.

kusiakje
05-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Quick question though. DD has only been pulling herself up for a few days and most of the time she doesn't look stable enough to be cruising around the furniture and such yet. The reason I think she's liking to push around the high chair so much is that there's a bar between the legs to stabilize them, which is only a couple of inches off the ground. In other words, it's right at her level for crawling to grab on and push and then catch up by stepping along on her knees.

Were your babies pushing around these things you recommended when they were just crawlers? Like just pushing the boxes, laundry baskets, etc from the bottom? Or was that when they were a little bit stronger and able to stand and push? Or should I be expecting DD to start cruising any second now, and just anticipate that?

Thanks again everyone!

Jessica
Mom to Katarina (DOB 9/16/05)