PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas???....Swing Set question (long).

floridamommy
05-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Hi. Need advice and suggestions.

For the past 2 months DH and I have been researching wood cedar swing sets, finally chose one, got our 6 year old very excited about it, etc. Anyhoo, we live in a community with an Architectural Review Board and much to our great surprise...our swing set plan was DENIED. Mind you...there are a boatload of swing sets in our neighborhood, but the problem is we have literally no back yard (all untouchable preserve), but a huge fully fenced side yard. We never imagined we could not put a swing set in our "side yard" even with a 6 foot privacy fence...but that was the rationale of the Board. No swing sets on side yards allowed.

Well, problem is...eager DH went ahead and dug up all the grass according to the specs of the swing set we chose plus the 6 foot buffer prior to the ARB decision. (not smart I know...we just really never imagined there was such a rule or issue when there are tons of houses with huge Rainbow swing sets in their "backyard" but since ther are on a corner lot with no fence...you totally see the sets. We see lots of sets and never realized those sets were in the "rear") Consequently, we now have a seemingly enormous rectangle of dirt in our side yard.

Does anyone have any idea or suggestions for what children's play items/equipment we could put in this area that is not taller than 6 feet? We really preferred the look of the wood swing sets and were trying not to go the LIttle TYkes or Step 2 plastic route, especially since this was primarilly for our 6 year old and not our 6 month old. I was thinking about a free standing see saw like the one Costco has...but she won't really be able to play with it by herself w/o a friend.

If you have read this far and have any thoughts...thank you in advance!! Heather

katerinasmom
05-26-2006, 12:07 PM
What about a nice wood playhouse like this one:

http://www.cedarshed.com/01-sheds-playhouse-kit.html

The one in the link above is a smaller one - 6 feet long by 6 feet wide. I called their 800 number and the rep said the outside height is 73 inches.

All the larger playhouses that I've seen are taller than 6 feet.

floridamommy
05-26-2006, 12:13 PM
That is a great idea. My mom actually called me from Costco an hour ago to say they just got something similar in stock (but I think plastic)that they have on display and I was going to head over there to check it out. That was really kind of you to make the call to the 1-800 number. I am going to definitely show my husband the website. Thank you very much for your post!! Heather

schums
05-26-2006, 02:46 PM
No suggestions on what else to buy. But, having been on a HOA board, I know that some things get approved/denied on the whim of the person in charge. I'd find your copy of the covenants (you should have been given a copy at/before closing) or ask for a new copy and MAKE SURE that this person isn't talking through some random orafice. If it doesn't say "no side yard swingsets", you have a valid challenge. Also, if you can find ONE other person in the development that has a swingset in their side yard (even on a corner lot), you'll probably win a challenge, since they obviously haven't enforced the covenant equally among all residents.

Just a thought, if you really have your heart set on a cedar swing set.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

Tondi G
05-28-2006, 12:56 AM
How about something like this

http://www.cedarworks.com/accessories/comp.php?cat=9&pID=2030

http://www.cedarworks.com/accessories/comp.php?cat=5&pID=162

http://www.byoswingset.com/ceplkit6.html

that really sucks that they won't allow it... one reason I like living in the city where there is no one watching over!!!!

Good Luck
~Tondi

new_mommy25
05-28-2006, 04:02 AM
The Costco playhouse is very, very cool. DS has to go inside everytime we are at Costco. The thing is ENORMOUS!! I think it is about $1800 here but might be cheaper where youlive. (We live in Hawaii so things are a bit more expensive since they have to ship it over.