PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum cleaner ideas

Lena
05-27-2006, 03:25 PM
We are thinking of getting a really good Vacuum cleaner for our new condo since it has carpets. We wanted something that does wet cleaning, and really picks up the dust. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lena

Tondi G
05-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Lots of people around here sware by their dyson vaccums!

Joolsplus2
05-27-2006, 05:52 PM
I think only Kirby has a 'wet' option.. and everyone I know who owns one can't be bothered to use it (complicated, I gather....).

I LOVE my Dyson, totally!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Lena
05-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi Julie,

Which Dyson do you have?... there are many on the market...
And thanks again for your recomendation of Britax 1+ years ago, we still love 2 of ours :-)
Lena

Lena
05-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Any idea which one is the best? There are few of those on the market...

jhrabosk
05-30-2006, 11:58 AM
We are recent Dyson converts...our vacuum died and I told DH that if he did the research and was convinced that Dyson was the best purchase (not just a cool toy), he could buy one. He does the vacuuming anyway!

Well, he checked out Consumer Reports and went to look at their fave, the Kenmore. It's less expensive, but you're supposed to replace the filters something like every 6 months at around $50 a pop! Don't know about you, but I always forget to replace filters, so I'll lose any benefit that the vacuum has in that respect. Plus, spending that much on filters, it makes the price difference with the Dyson disappear in just over a year. (The Dyson's filters are washable.)

So, we got a Dyson Animal...it's the purple one. I'm not positive, but I think part of the reason it seems like there are so many is that there are some slightly different models for different stores (Target, BB&B, etc). We bought ours at Bed Bath with one of their 20% coupons.

I LOVE this thing. We're obsessed with seeing how much it gets out of the carpet. We have two cats, so it makes me feel good to get all that hair up.

Don't know whether any of that's helpful, but I'd suggest looking into it.

brittone2
05-30-2006, 12:04 PM
We test drove a dyson at home for a day or two and decided for us it wasn't that much better than our Oreck, so we opted to just go w/ a cheaper upright (I mostly needed it for the attachements/hose as my Oreck doesn't have these and the handheld version doesn't work well for us). Overall it was good, but we just already had a good vac so it wasn't worth the expense.

One thing I did learn when reading is that at least with the DC 14 models, whether you go w/ the yellow, the purple "animal", etc. the vacuum itself is the same. The attachments are what differs. So we found out it was cheaper to buy the lower end dc 14 (the yellow I think?) and we bought the "animal" attachment separately at Sears. It was cheaper to do that then to buy the actual "animal" model since we didn't need a lot of the other attachments.

The DC 07 I believe is an older model and has a hard time picking up things like Cheerios from reviews I've read.

The Ball wasn't out yet when I was looking so I don't know anything about that, and I never really looked into the canister.

mom to little e
05-30-2006, 12:51 PM
We LOVE LOVE LOVE our Dyson (Animal). It is so great that it even inspires DS to vacuum - now, that is a good vacuum!

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

mom to little e
05-30-2006, 12:52 PM
We LOVE LOVE LOVE our Dyson (Animal). It is so great that it even inspires DH to vacuum - now, that is a good vacuum!

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

Joolsplus2
05-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi Lena :)

I have the plain yellow one.. the DC 07? The cheapest one! I also got it at Amazon with all kinds of coupons back and it really ended up only costing 307$... I've had it for like 2 years now, and it keeps on working fine. I hear if you have a high-shed dog the purple 'animal' model is better, it comes with the extra hair sucking attachment, I guess.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Chris Johnson
08-01-2006, 02:56 PM
If you can hold out a little longer. Dyson is coming out with something really improved soon.

jgriffin
08-01-2006, 11:29 PM
How soon??? Our vacuum cleaner sucks (and not in a good way) and I really want to replace it soon. Was thinking about a Dyson, but was astonished at how much they cost (current vacuum is about 10yo, and it was never anything great, though).

Chris Johnson
08-02-2006, 08:37 AM
last I heard it's next month....

hudsonam
08-02-2006, 10:33 AM
We have a Dyson and love it! Even my mom, who isn't impressed by overpriced name brands, and who has been vacuuming a lot longer then me, was really impressed with it. We have berber carpets and two cats and a dog, and their hair just sticks into that carpeting. Well, the Dyson does a great job if picking up a ton, and it works wonders on our couches too.

We got the DC-07 purple one (animal?). We didn't need it to be able to pick up larger items like Cheerios (which is what the DC-14 can do) because we have a dog. ;) Otherwise, the only thing I miss, and not really that much, is that the 14 has a slightly easier to use hose. On the 07, you have to take it all the way out and turn it around, whereas on the 14, you just pull it out and it's ready to use, but to me, it's not worth the extra expense. The 07 has been great. HTH!

Tondi G
08-02-2006, 07:12 PM
check Costco for a Dyson at a decent price.