PDA

View Full Version : Outside toys/activities for a 19 mon. old?

manda7_23
05-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Hi, i need to get a few outside toys for my 19 month old DD. I would love to hear some suggestions. We can't get a big swingset b/c we are in the military and move all the time. Also, we live in the mountains and don't have grass, just rocks and dirt. Do you think she is too young for a Kettler? I was thinking maybe a sandbox? TIA

Amanda

new_mommy25
05-28-2006, 03:58 AM
A Kettler is fun but at that age they cannot pedal on their own. Unless you plan to take walks and push your DD you might want to invest in something else for the time being.

Favorites around here are the sandbox and water table. The sandbox we have is just a tiny turtle ( http://tinyurl.com/hjqz6 )but has held up amazingly well for the past two years and two kids can play in it comfortably. I noticed Step 2 now makes a sandbox that is raised off the ground which might work better for you with your yard. http://tinyurl.com/ees9l or http://tinyurl.com/j3ydz The water table we have is by Step 2 http://tinyurl.com/kl3es and DS and my nephew love it, but you might want to kill two birds with one stone and just get a sand and water table. However if you have the space I really would recommend a sandbox they can sit in because they're fun and the kids can play for hours in it.

We have a Little Tikes climber but DS has been pretty unimpressed by it. I don't think I would buy it again and it probably wouldn't work well with your yard anyway. Since you're military you might want to see if you can get a used playhouse from someone who is moving.

At Walmart I just picked up some fun garden tools for DS. They had a child sized plastic set with a shovel, hoe, and rake for about $2.50. DS loves to help DH in the yard and he's had a lot of fun. Your DD can always rake the dirt around :) If you have any plants then a watering can is also great.

A sprinkler might be messy since you don't have grass but you could get a small pool. If you cleared the rocks away and put it down on a tarp it would be okay.

HTH,

Beth568
05-28-2006, 09:19 PM
My 18 month old LOVES to dig in dirt or sand, loves her sister's Little Tikes playhouse, loves to splash in water, and has no interest at all in the tiny LT slide I just bought at a resale shop (thank goodness it was really cheap).

You can probably pick up a used playhouse pretty inexpensively - this is the perfect age for them. My DD can spend quite a while just opening and closing the little door! ;) She also does sit on her sister's old Kettler, and gets her feet on the pedals, but the coordination to actually make the thing move is still coming.

I agree that a wading pool on a tarp might work well.

kedss
05-28-2006, 10:41 PM
My half brother had one of those turtle sandboxes with a cover and he loved it, it was years ago, but i know I've seen them at TRU. Also, you might try blowing bubbles? Or maybe a big wheel for her to ride? Is there a park nearby where she play ball with you?

manda7_23
05-29-2006, 03:31 AM
Yes there is a park that i take her to in town that has swingsets, etc. I just wanted her to have something to play with here at home also. I think i might try a sandbox, we can probably move some of the rock so it will be even. And that water wheel looks really fun also. Thanks for the suggestions!

Amanda

zoestargrove
05-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Our sand/water table is a big hit too.

also, not mentioned yet, but we love the play tent and tunnel combination by pacific play tents. One of the best features is that it can fold up flat unlike a plastic playhouse and it sets up very quickly. It can be used inside and outside. We leave it set up for a few days, take it down and when we bring it out again - its exciting and new all over. My boys 18 months and 3 years use the tent as a playhouse, a camping tent, a hideaway and they use the tunnel alone or attached to the tent.

I found mine at Marshalls's for under $30.

shburks
05-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Amanda. We are also military, so I totally understand the moving around part! As for a big swingset, it IS PCS season, so look around and see if anyone is trying to sell their Little Tikes or Step 2 plastic play stuff for cheap before they move. You can always sell/donate it again before you leave and isn't nearly as much trouble as putting up a big swingset. We got our all our outside play stuff from friends PCSing or from the base yard sale.

As for toys, my 19 month old ds loves his sand and water table. Loves loves loves it! He totally adores his outside play house, too. Umm...a push lawnmower that makes sounds or blows bubbles is good, a bubble machine, etc. We also have a Little Tikes plastic swing attached to a tree--not sure what you would have up there! :)

HTH--Good luck!

Susan

manda7_23
05-30-2006, 03:37 PM
We are not near a military base, just in a tiny town with a handful of CG people from Dh's boat but i have been looking around at garage/moving sales. We do have lots of trees though so the swing is a good idea. Thanks!

Amanda

ekbecker1
06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Did anyone mention chalk yet? There are really big fat ones that are easy for little fingers to hold. I also have some plastic holders that the chalk slips into so I don't have to touch it - I can't stand the feel of chalk!

shburks
06-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Eeek...that must be quite an experience! :) Good luck.

You got some other great ideas, so hopefully something will work out well for you.

Susan

deannanb
06-02-2006, 08:59 PM
DS is 19 months and we just got a Kettler last week - and he loves it... he is just a little short to reach the pedals, but can move around just fine with his feet on the ground.

You could plant a small garden and have DD help - DS loves to take his shovel and rake and mess up my garden! He has so much fun pouring water on the flowers.

An easel to use with chalk, paper and markers, paint - messy items

Target has a large no-spill bubble container. It has 3 wands. DS is working on blowing the bubbles.