PDA

View Full Version : When did you stop using yours? High Chairs

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 08:57 AM
When did you stop using yours? What type of booster did you transition to?

My twins are 21 months now, still using their high chairs but I was wondering about using a booster. They're each 30+ pounds. Also, we'll be traveling this summer and I would rather pack a booster than worry about borrowing high chairs.

Thanks

mom to little e
05-31-2006, 09:07 AM
We stopped using our high chair when DS was 18 months and transitioned him to the Kinderzeat. He loves his seat and it has been a great purchase. I love how it is so adjustable to height and how his feet always have a place. He is 2 1/2 now and I see us using this for a very long time.

In terms of boosters, we bought the FP Healthy Care Booster seat for use at Grandma's house. It has worked okay and I think it would be great for travel since it is lightweight and folds up.

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Thank you Maryann. I'll take a look at those items today.

smilequeen
05-31-2006, 10:00 AM
We put Simon in the Kinderzeat at 13 months. I was sick of cleaning the highchair :) We LOVE that thing.

We also have the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster that we keep in the car.

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks Karen.

I am SOOOOOOO sick of cleaning their high chairs, too! Why are there so many nooks and crannies for food to get stuck in?! I started putting their baby towels on the seats just so I could get to the end of the week without removing the seatcover.

sarahsthreads
05-31-2006, 01:49 PM
>When did you stop using yours?
This weekend.

>What type of booster did you transition to?
Wait, I could have transitioned her to a booster?!? ;)

Seriously, DD just up and decided that she's "too big!" to sit in anything with straps on Saturday, and has been occupying "daddy chair!" since then. But before then we loved our Fisher Price healthy care booster seat when we were traveling and at Grandma's. I'm considering getting a Cooshie Booster at least so she's not as tempted to stand on the chair to reach things.

I just wish I could talk DH into the Kinderzeat, because at least it might be a bit more stable then our kitchen chairs. Sigh.

Sarah :)

mudder17
05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
We put ours in the attic maybe 3 months ago? That was when Kaya transitioned to her One Step Ahead Eurochair II. She seems to like it quite well.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 27 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

Momof3Labs
05-31-2006, 02:36 PM
DS1 boycotted it at 15 months. We used a strap-on booster for 3-4 months (still wanted a tray for him) and then switched to a Kinderzeat, which is still in use 2 years later with no end in sight!

Jennymarie
06-19-2006, 09:49 PM
I think we switched at around 18 months.

DS was approaching 30 lbs, and I started to find that getting him in and out of the high chair was a total PITA. He also started climbing up the back and trying the stand on the rear cross-bar. I just knew it was a matter of time before the chair came crashing down on him.

As other posters mentioned, the cleaning was driving me crazy too.

We use the Fisher Price booster and we're totally happy with it. As soon as we could rely on him not to tip his plate over, the main benefit of the high chair (big tray) didn't matter as much anymore. I considered the Kinderzeat, but after a year and a half of accumulating a ton of quickly-obsolete baby equipment, we just really wanted to find something small, cheap and unobtrusive.

essnce629
06-20-2006, 05:03 AM
We switched Conner to a booster seat when he was around 9 months old. I had bought it to take with me when we visited friends/relatives, but I liked it so much that I started using it in the house full time! I continued to use the regular highchair with the little girl I babysat until I stopped watching her at 2 1/2 years old, but I hated cleaning it every day! As soon as I stopped watching her I sold it on Craigslist! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster. It's SOOOO easy to clean! I won't even bother with a full size highchair for baby #2.

***Latia
Birth and Postpartum Doula

Conner 8/19/03 (homebirthed water baby)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months!

MarieBunny
06-20-2006, 12:20 PM
We are still using ours! My DS will be 2 in 2 weeks. He is around 33 lbs and approximately 36 inches. We have the Baby Trend highchair and it's been great. But now his feet don't fit on the feetrest anymore and he's starting to resist me putting the tray on, so I think it's time to move on. I am getting him a Kinderzeat very soon and am justifying it as a birthday present for DS. I am so excited as I have heard great things about them despite the price tag.

What I've found is that traditional boosters with a tray are hard if your kids are over 30 lbs. The Fisher Price Healthy Care is a great seat but my DS was too big for it 6 months ago. The Cooshie booster is great for older toddlers but my DS was a late walker and is still not good at climbing on and off chairs yet, so we really need him to be strapped in.

A good travel booster that we have is the First Years On-The-Go Booster seat. It folds up so tiny you could put it in a suitcase. We leave ours in the car in case we are out somewhere and need a booster. I love it for travel and occasional use but would not recommend for every day use. It's not quite sturdy enough for that.

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/85205/426761/117.html

Good luck!

ppshah
06-20-2006, 03:37 PM
DS really liked his highchair. We used it until he was 18 months with the tray and then without the tray pulled up to the table until he was 2 1/2. Since he was already 2 1/2 when he switched to a booster, we just bought him a cooshie seat and I love. He loves it too. Super easy to clean and portable.

leslieu
06-23-2006, 02:41 AM
We transitioned DS from a FP Healthy Care high chair to the One Step Ahead Eurochair II at around 24 months for safety reasons. DS liked to clime into his FP Healthy Care high chair, which he could do, but made me really nervous. So we gave him the Eurochair II as a "Big Boy" birthday gift. Now he can clime in and out of his chair without give mommy a heart attack.

So far we have been using the One Step Ahead Eurochair II for about six months and we love it. It's easy to clean, which is a big plus. The only little problem is that the cushion that it comes with has a plastic cover, which is great for cleaning, but it has completely fallen apart! The plastic cover has big rips and the foam cushions just falls out. It's not really a big deal because I made a new cushion cover and added more padding. BUT, if I'd only known it would fall apart on me. I would have made the cushion cover sooner.

overcome
06-24-2006, 02:14 PM
NAK

what she said!!!

seriously...ITA