PDA

View Full Version : Does sunscreen really expire?

hudsonam
05-31-2006, 11:15 AM
I've heard that sunscreen expires after a year, but it never says so on the bottle, and I've never had a problem. Of course, with my child, I don't want to risk him getting burned, but so far, he's been fine with last year's bottle. Is there any truth to this?

brittone2
05-31-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure the ingredients become less effective. I think there was something on TV about it a year or two ago....my mom had seen it and I remember we discussed it ( I didn't see the actual show). I think the consensus was that it does deteriorate. I wish I could be more specific.

BeachBaby
05-31-2006, 12:09 PM
My wide variety of Neutrogena sunscreens all have expiration dates on them. I'm at work right now so I can't check the bottle I just bought, but I am almost certain it doesn't expire next year. I'll try to remember to check when I get home and update this post.

icunurse
05-31-2006, 12:19 PM
I've heard that the strength decreases with time, not sure by how much or how fast. I know that several of the sunscreens I have bought for both DS and myself have expiration dates a little longer than a year (more like 18 months), but some sunscreens don't have an expiration date on the container (like the WaterBabies brand).
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

daniele_ut
05-31-2006, 12:39 PM
There's an article in this month's Parents magazine that says sunscreens are generally effective for 3 years. It did say, though, that if you are using an adequate amount of sunscreen every day, a bottle should not last an entire summer. A 6oz bottle should last a family of 4 just 1 day at the beach if everyone reapplies once.

Corie
05-31-2006, 12:51 PM
You might want to check out the June 2006 issue of Parents
magazine. There were some great articles in there about
sun safety.

If I remember correctly from the article (and I have read
this info in other places), if you apply the right amount
of sunscreen, then a bottle won't last the summer.

I read that you should use a full shot glass full of sunscreen
to cover your body. Also, make sure to apply the sunscreen
about 30 minutes before going out in the sun.

http://walking.about.com/od/suncare/a/sunscreentips.htm

Apparently, the number one mistake with sunscreen is not
applying enough. You may buy a sunscreen with SPF 15 but
if you don't apply enough sunscreen then you aren't getting the
full protection of the SPF 15.

Edited for spelling

Corie
05-31-2006, 12:53 PM
We must have been posting at the same time because I said
the exact same thing!!

hudsonam
05-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks everyone! I definitely glob it on him. Last year we weren't outside too much because he was only around 6 months, but this year I can see we'll be out a lot more.

heidiann
05-31-2006, 01:15 PM
My ped told us to throw out any sunscreen after a year b/c it looses its effectiveness.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

Coolamber
06-01-2006, 03:13 PM
I found some sunblock it can't be more then 18 months old. Would use it or trash it?
Mollie

emschwar
06-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Stupid question, but how do you know if you're applying enough? Obviously my 2 year old doesn't need a shot glass worth for his tiny body.

cilantromapuche
06-03-2006, 02:01 PM
I have also heard that leaving it in the heat can make it more ineffective (like in the car all summer). Can't remember where I heard that from.

Christine

mama to A (7/03)and a girl (6/06)