PDA

View Full Version : Target's Schwinn bike trailer?

marchmommy
06-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Does anyone have this trailer? I'd rather not buy the more expensive Burley b/c we'll probably not use this that often, and I have no idea if the kiddos will like it. Is the Schwinn not as safe???? Why is it priced so significantly less than the Burely? TIA!

willow33
06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
You should check out the stroller forum. I came very close to buying the InStep one from Target until I read all the posts over on the stroller board. There really is a big difference in quality. FWIW...REI is having a sale on burley right now. I think it is 20% off and it is free to ship to a store. Good luck choosing!

o_mom
06-01-2006, 08:03 PM
We have an InStep even though I totally coveted a Chariot.

If you are an occasional biker (say once a week or less) and you don't need it to convert to a stroller or anything else, then a lower end one is probably OK. If you do alot of biking (several times a week) or very long rides (>25 mi) then a Burley or Chariot would be a good investment.

What you lose are:

- All the quick release features (ours has alot of pins and screws for folding) It generally will be more awkward to fold and convert than the high-end ones.

- Good stroller conversion - the stroller part is pretty wobbly, and it doesn't have a jogger option, but we have a wagon and two other double strollers, so that wasn't a huge deal. It is good for strolling as the destination, but I certainly wouldn't make it the main stroller.

- Little extras - sunshade (I added a stick-on one), extra/partial venting, etc.

Having said that we only paid $35 for our (love Target clearance!) so it wasn't a big leap. I was ready to pay up to $90 figuring I could sell it for $45 if I hated it and buy the $400 Chariot.

KrisM
06-01-2006, 08:08 PM
I agree. I have the Schwinn from Target and I don't use it a ton, so it is perfect for us. Check out reviews and info at www.bicycletrailers.com. Schwinn and Instep are made by the same people, at least they were last year, and I found a Schwinn one very similar to an Instep, but with a few extras like padding and stuff.

kellyotn
06-01-2006, 10:56 PM
I have a Chariot Cougar 2, and do love it. I use it a LOT for walks and DH uses it for biking. I looooove it for walking. Its swivel wheel kit is so great, saved me from buying a separate jogging stroller. :)

Its built REALLY well and can stand up to the abuse that heavy biking puts on it. Its super comfy for the kids, I like the mesh cover to they don't get things kicked up from the bike wheels into their faces. I like the plastic cover for walking in the cold.

And, check out used ones (Burley or Chariot), they resell very well. (If you are tempted and think you'll use it heavily enough to "need" it.)

For "round town" biking though, a Schwinn/Instep would totally be fine. I haven't used one, but have checked them out at Target. It seems they'd hold up to light abuse, and probably even resell for a bit after you are finished with it. They probably aren't as comfy for the kids, but they likely care way less than we do! ;) They'd just be happy to be "going fast" like my kids say. ha ha.

Also, check out the Kidarooz from Costo, its made by Chariot. Its really cool for the money. Its clearly of cheaper quality, but still VERY nice for the $160. Roomy, extra cargo, walking kit, etc. The fabrics are clearly not as heavy or well-sewn (floor models do display some fraying), but if its not really abused in long biking trail rides, I think it'd be fine. And, heck, Cosco has a great return policy! Definitely worth checking out.

HTH a bit.

edited for typo

marchmommy
06-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks! I didn't know Costco carried a trailer--do they always have it in stock?

kellyotn
06-02-2006, 10:13 AM
It seems to be an "every summer" type thing. I saw it still there a month or so ago. I've also seen Kidarooz on eBay, I assume they are the same as Costco's. :)

HannaAddict
06-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Our Costco still had them in stock as of last week. They had one out on display too so you could see it and play around with it. It looks like it is good quality, but it is quite a bit heavier than the Burley and Chariot versions. But the price is right!

Kimberly

MarieBunny
06-06-2006, 12:53 PM
We just bought the Target Schwinn model which is being discontinued by InStep so we got a great price - $119 for a $160 trailer! It is nicer than some of the more basic InStep models and even comes with a stroller conversion kit. My husband is only an occasional biker so its fine for us. I could't fathom laying down 300+ more for the stroller kit when I didn't know how much use we'd get out of it. If you are a hardcore biker or plan to use the trailer as a double jogger frequently, I would consider upgrading to a Burley or a Chariot. Personally, I don't think I would like using our trailer as a stroller all the time because it's just so wide and I think my DS could see his surroundings a lot better in a regular stroller. I think the Schwinn is a great bargain!

racerl1
06-09-2006, 07:45 PM
What city do you live in? We looked at Target, but the trailer was full price.

MarieBunny
06-10-2006, 07:28 PM
This was about a month ago. I think we happened to get lucky and get it during a sale. It was just over a weekend and DH happened to be looking at trailers then. The Schwinn was out of stock but he picked up a rain check. By the time I got it, the price had already gone back up. Good luck! Hopefully you can find a sale!

Lynnie
06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
I got it (on sale for about $119) and thought it was fine. However, the kids hated it - they wanted to be in their own bikes, and the first trip around the block, they screamed bloody murder. I don't think a more comfortable or sturdy one would have made a difference though.

I think the PPs hit it on the head - if biking is something you do all the time, and you want to take long rides, and be able to use it as a double stroller, it would probably be worth it to buy the better one.

However, as someone who doesn't bike much, and just bought a bike because I am not allowed to run anymore, and I need to do SOMETHING, I liked the shwinn trailer, and was able to put it together and attach it to my bike with no problems. I did endup returning it because the kids didn't warm up to it (you'd have thought I was torturing them) and I figured I'll just ride my bike when DH is home and can watch them rather than have it take up room in our small crowded garage for the occasional use it would have gotten. Perhaps they would have come around, but I think I am going to make biking "my" thing, and not "our" thing.

I kept my receipt and had no trouble returning it, so you might want to try it out.