PDA

View Full Version : Jumper swing

Mattie12905
06-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Have a 5 1/2 month ds who loves being lifted into the air. I want to get him a jumper swing but seems like they all say 8 months and up. Does has anyone used one before that age?
I fell in love with the Haba one specifically. It's so much more than the Evenflo one but it's so much cooler looking. Does anyone have this?

HoneymoonBaby
06-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Our son loved his Fisher Price Jumperoo starting at 4 months old. It's like a doorway jumper, but on its own frame, with toys and better support for smaller babies.

sidmand
06-02-2006, 08:49 AM
We also started the Fisher Price Jumperoo around 4 months or so and DS LOVES/LOVED it. He is very active and jumping just made his day. I don't know about the Haba one, but you don't really need it to do anything besides let them jump and they'll go to town.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

brittone2
06-02-2006, 12:57 PM
IMO part of the age recommendation is likely so that the child has enough head, trunk, and neck strength to use it without injuring him/herself.

I know a lot of people use them early on, but just offering a different perspective (I worked as a pediatric physical therapist before DS was born).

I'm not a fan of them in general (I've posted in the past if you want to look in the archives) as I feel they put a lot of strain on the spine and pelvis.

If you do opt to use one, especially early on, be very aware of signs of fatigue...remove the child before s/he is slumping over, slouching, or if he/she is not holding himself/herself upright well any longer.

kellyotn
06-02-2006, 02:43 PM
We had the Graco one. Its seat was like a exersaucer seat - completely surrounded with a tray and bumpers, not just the flappy/strappy ones that I remember when my cousins were younger.

We used it from about 4.5 months with each kid, in moderation. But, wow, they loved them. Used them up until they could walk. We have a wide doorway and they'd just get to going in a large circle and giggling their heads off.

Here's a similar one on Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/gejuv

edited to make url tiny.

scarletsmommy
06-02-2006, 02:44 PM
We used the evenflo doorway jumper we received as a gift. I had heard wonderful things about it but DD liked her exersaucer much better. I don't know if it's b/c there are no doorways near our living/play area but we didn't end up using it that much. As far as age, I think you should just guage your little one's abilities. If he can hold his upper body fairly well with only support to his rump and his legs are strong enough to bounce him - then I would say he's ready. HTH!