PDA

View Full Version : Would you be pleased to get these as a 1st Birthday Gift for your child?

GeneralDP
06-06-2006, 02:28 AM
My DD is invited to a 1st Birthday party this Saturday. The parents are going all out with a big carnival theme. She did not indicate her son’s clothes size or toy preference (this is more of an associate than a close friend.) I do not know what type of toys the Birthday boy likes and I have a budget of $25.00.

I would like to get something unique to avoid duplicating gifts.

Here are my thoughts:
Gift card to a book store Barnes & Nobles or Borders.
Gift Card/certificate to Chuck E. Cheeses or something similar.
Money for college fund.
Gift Card/Certificate to Toys R US.

Which of these ideas do you like best and why? Let me know if you have any other unique ideas for a little boy’s First Birthday.

ellies mom
06-06-2006, 03:06 AM
I would love for someone to give my daughter a gift card to Barnes and Noble. I know most of the Mamas on this board have long lists of books they'd like to buy.

annasmom
06-06-2006, 06:21 AM
I am a BIG fan of books for gifts. I really feel like that is the one gift that really gives, and gives, iykwim. I think the gift card to B&N is a great idea.

elliput
06-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Another vote for the B&N or Borders gift card. Most stores of both chains carry music and videos so there are tons of options for the parents to choose from.

DebbieJ
06-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Barnes and Noble so we can go pick out more books!

Please don't make me step foot in TRU!!!! NOOOoooooooo!!!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

icunurse
06-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Yep, I vote for bookstore, too. Something fun, something they can use, and, even if they would get another of the same card, something they really can't have too many of.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

katerinasmom
06-06-2006, 09:31 AM
One more vote for the B&N gift card. You can't go wrong with that and $25 is nice amount IMO.

GeneralDP
06-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks to all for voting for the bookstore gift card. I think all along it was my first choice!

You are right about this gift being duplicated you can never have too many book store gift cards.

KrisM
06-07-2006, 09:06 PM
I like the book idea, but would probably prefer getting actual books to a gift card. If they were something we had already, I could exchange them, but I find we get a lot of really good books that I never would have found on my own. Just a thought.

Canna
06-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Of your options, I'd be most happy with a gift card to Barnes & Noble. I love buying books for DD...we would definitely use it. I could see a trip to the book store being a fun outing.

I would be less than thrilled to get a Gift Card to Chuck E. Cheeses or something like that - we don't go there, don't really want to go there, you know?

Money for college fund - okay, nice, not super exciting.

Gift Card to Toys R Us. Okay. I'm sure we could find something to get there...clothes or toys - even diapers.

chiqanita
06-07-2006, 10:21 PM
G.C. to B&N

OR

Buy one of your favorite books for the Bday Boy and add a g.c. for $5 so he can go buy another book. I liked this idea, too.

BellaGirl
06-08-2006, 09:27 AM
My DS is two and we've never been to chuck e cheese! I've never been at all and I don't think it's geared for 1yo's...but I could be wrong.

Definitely books or a gc to a bookstore!! I would LOVE that gift!