PDA

View Full Version : Children and exterminators

chiqanita
06-07-2006, 10:19 PM
The bugs are invading! We have ants in several rooms (more in our kitchen). There are spiders everywhere I turn! I've noticed some teeny weeny itsy bitsy bugs at our doorways, windowsills and downstairs tub...they even seem to hop around (but don't look like fleas). Oh, and I've also found a beetle on the windowsill and some of those pinching bugs, too.

Ever since I had the twins (21 months ago) I've tried to handle the bug situation with more natural and non toxic products....it isn't working. I really don't want to have an exterminator spray poisons in or around my home but I just don't see any other way. I called one company and they act like they "do it all of the time" and "no one has complained yet" so I shouldn't be concerned...BUT I AM!

Has anyone used any of these exterminators in their homes? What precautions do you take?

1. Mayday
2. Orkin
3. Terminix

BTW, I have a cleaning service that comes in twice a month and I take care of the big cleaning on alternating weeks.

shburks
06-07-2006, 10:25 PM
We use Terminix and have been very happy with them. We always get the same guy who comes out. Except for the first spray, everything else is done outside and I don't really have any concerns about it as he sprays around the foundation area--a place that ds doesn't usually play.

For the first spray, they did come in a spray under our kitchen sink and inside on our back porch area (lanai here!) and we had to be out of the house for 3 hours. We stayed out longer because I was a little paranoid.

You can do everything you can to be clean, etc. and the bugs may still come in. For us, it was more important not to have roaches and ants in our kitchen than it was for a one-time inside spray.

Good luck. You just have to decide what's best for your family.

Susan

dbianca23
06-09-2006, 12:11 AM
the bugs are out big time this week over here. i swear spider season starts and there are spiders everywhere in the house. i've never used an exterminator, what makes a *huge* difference is i use a spray on the outside perimeters of all the doors and windows, i barely see any spiders after that. the spray i use is called 'home defense' and it comes in a big gallon container and a sprayer. i don't trust those guys, my dad used to be an exterminator and totally thinks it's okay to spray the backyard right before dd goes out there to play.

dules
06-09-2006, 02:24 PM
We used a local service both for an investment property that had mice and our own house where we had some carpenter ants under our deck (which borders on the backyard play area).

We looked around and called around quite a bit and this local shop that was family run and in business for over 25 years gave us the best, most complete and up front information about what they would use, where and how they would protect our children and pets (and the tenants', in the investment property).

They gave us information sheets on all the chemicals and also gave us notices to put in the tenants' mailboxes so they could be informed as well.

I was very happy with the work in both cases.

Just a thought, if you're not getting the info you want from the big boys, look for a good, solid mom and pop shop. :)

Best,
Mary

m448
06-09-2006, 03:10 PM
There's a company called Green Light that sells "green" alternatives to pest and lawncare stuff. I've found it at Lowes.

http://www.greenlightco.com/organic_bug_sprays.htm

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06