PDA

View Full Version : Is this toy overload?

HIU8
06-09-2006, 08:38 AM
DS is 18 months old. DH and I would like to purchase him some items to use outside. We know he likes the litle tykes basketball hoop. MIL and my mother want to get him a wagon and DH and I would like to get him a climber and slide since he has really begun to climb well and loves to slide. However, we don't want to create toy overload. When DS was younger we would introduce one new toy a week (not every week). Should I still be doing that, or just get the items, set them up and let him play with all of them outside. (some of these items would be new and some would be slightly used since we cannot afford everything brand new right now).

DS currenly has a swing in a tree and a sand and water table. He is getting bored with the swing, but the sand and water table seems is still really interesting to him.

Which toy do you think would be best if we were to only get one right now?

Thanks,
Heather
DS 11/27/04

deannanb
06-09-2006, 11:38 AM
I think that all of those toys offer something different.

my DS is a month older (19 mo) - and in the back yard we have a wooden swing set - a metal swing set (we have a 10 year old - so the sets have been in the yard for 7 years).

In the last 2 months, I've bought DS a push car, little tykes coupe, and a Kettler (all used). He plays with all of them equally - and loves to use each of them.

If you want to take something off of your list, I would take off the basketball hoop - DS can throw balls into the wagon. Someone loaned us a small basketball hoop and DS played with it for a while the first few days.... and hasn't touched it since.

Deanna
DS 10/28/2004

Beth568
06-09-2006, 11:55 AM
I agree that I would eliminate the basketball hoop if you're narrowing down the list, because there are lots of other ways he can play with balls.

I just bought my 19 month old DD a used slide. We have an older child and a full sized swingset, which is IMO a much better investment than the tiny climber/slide combos you see out there. But, for now, my younger DD is still a bit too small to climb up and use the regular slide; I have to help her. I figured that, for $10, she'd get the summer out of the tiny slide and then we could pass it on.

I expect your DS will be interested in the sand & water table for a while; kids love those for years.

We've never had a wagon, but my girls aren't generally content to sit and be pushed or pulled around, and the wagons are a bit big for them to pull on their own. My little one LOVES the cozy coupe car that she can either ride in or push.

At any rate, I don't think that necessarily sounds like overload because all of those things are used very differently. I might not introduce everything on the same day, but I think he'd be fine if you put it all out there within a week. At this point in the year, I'm so thrilled to be able to get my kids outside that we spend a LOT of time in the yard. ;)

dules
06-09-2006, 01:11 PM
If you were only going to get one I'd get the climber/slide combo (used). They seem to be slowing down/dropping in price on our local Craigslist (NJ/NY) but that may be a regional thing.

We got the basketball hoop for $5 at a tag sale and DD plays with it, but she likes to stand ON the climber and shoot hoops (lol) and I think she gets more physical activity from the climber.

Good luck! And I wouldn't worry about overload since it's sort of like setting up a little park in the backyard - lots of varied activities. My DD usually spends 10 minutes or so at each "station" (sand/water, climber/hoops, playhouse) and then goes around again.

Best,
Mary

P.S. I just noticed your DS's DOB. My DD is 11/28/03. :)