PDA

View Full Version : Video phones for talking to grandparents?

momtojack
06-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Does anyone use a videophone, either through the computer or by itself for keeping in touch with distant family? My son is too young to talk to his grandparents on the phone, but I though with video they could see him and he could see their faces when they were talking to him. However, I have no idea where to begin. If you use one, what brand, does it run through a computer, how well does it work? Any advice and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Shelly

mom_of_gia
06-10-2006, 01:06 PM
We have webcam conversations with our distant family. I have an ancient webcam from Intel and we use the MSN messenger IM program. I'm not at all computer savvy. My brother and I just IM each other and then "invite" a video conversation. We really enjoy getting to see eachother.

HTH

Denise

kochh2
06-10-2006, 04:13 PM
we got webcams for us and DS's gramma for christmas, so she could see him whenever she wanted...a nd him her.. got a webcam at radioshack (a 2 pack) and hooked them up, then use yahoo messenger with voice and do the same thing- invite to view my webcam.. it works great!!! you do need speakers a microphone to have a voice conversation!! a great gift idea for people with long distance relatives!!!

anamika
06-10-2006, 04:37 PM
We videoconference with my dad and/or my in-laws 2-3 times a week. We use a cheapo webcam and either Yahoo messenger or MSN. Some days one works better than the other.
DD knows most of her relatives by sight now. She met them all briefly on a trip to India but I cannot imagine that she would have remembered them so well without videoconferencing.
It took the grandparents a few times to get the hang of it, though.
HTH,

cbm
06-16-2006, 08:13 AM
We use webcam and skype. So far it has worked great. For more info google skype.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

lmintzer
06-16-2006, 08:25 AM
We use the iSight camer (Mac). It's pretty good! My little brother convinced us to get it. We haven't used it that much, but it's nice for the kids to get to see familyw hen they talk to them. It's so small, and it hooks to the top of our laptop, which is cool.