PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a quiet baby monitor?

callmeflan
06-15-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm looking for a monitor that I can turn down relatively low so I don't stay up all night listening to the many grunts and groans that come out of my newborn. The monitor I currently have (it's very old) even at the quietest setting is too loud.

Hope I don't sound like a careless mom. I am just struggling to find a way to get some sleep at night.

EllasMum
06-15-2006, 03:36 PM
The Fisher-Price Sounds and Lights monitor is very good. It has a little wheel to adjust the sound level - I keep mine between 1 and 2 on the wheel and can hear her cry, but you don't pickup every little grunt! If you want, you can even leave it on the lowest possible setting (if you're watching tv or something) and just watch for the lights to flare up (the lights go on as the intensity of the sound increases). It is a sensitive monitor, too, though - at setting 3 or higher, I can even simply hear her breathing. For sleeping, though, I leave it on 1-2 and it is perfect.

Susan

sidmand
06-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Just thought I would also mention--I'm a REALLY light sleeper and found I was waking up at every little noise--I muffle the monitor under a pillow at night!

I have the AngelCare one and although there are three sound levels, even the lowest level was too much. I found if I tilt it sideways and muffle it, I can still hear a cry, but don't hear the minor grunts. At least not as well.

So if you can't find a good low-level monitor, you can always try and muffle it somehow! Not the best option, but an option nevertheless.

FWIW--DH puts it at the HIGHEST level and still doesn't hear DS cry. Ahh, to have a husband's hearing. Actually, it's probably DH. I once dropped a dresser down the stairs in front of the bedroom while he was sleeping (by accident!) and he never even stirred.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

Tondi G
06-15-2006, 05:50 PM
I have the Sony Baby call monitor and love it! It can be turned down super low/quiet!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006FWVN/qid=1150411849/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-5908206-7495005?v=glance&s=baby

~Tondi

proggoddess
06-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Our Sounds and Lights monitor also has a vibration feature. So I turn the receiver on, but with no volume and I just turn the vibration on. When the crying gets above a mere fuss, the receiver will rattle on my table.

jhrabosk
06-16-2006, 12:31 PM
You don't sound like a careless mom at all! Our monitor is on DH's nightstand and the little noises were waking me, too.

I'm not going to recommend my monitor, because I didn't find a level that worked for me. FWIW, our room isn't that far from DD's so we just started turning the monitor off. I got accustomed to it very quickly and wake up with no problem...she doesn't even have a chance to get really worked up.

It's not the right option for everyone, but I thought I'd put it out there.

HTH!

Oregonmother
06-16-2006, 03:01 PM
I second the Sony baby call. We had the FP sounds and lights monitor and the static drove me nuts.

jenfed1
06-16-2006, 09:29 PM
The Sony baby call 27 channel monitor is fantastic. Actually it has a setting called Voice Activated, where it only comes on when the baby cries. It doesn't pick up every little grunt or noise. My dd sleeps with a white noise machine and I put it on Voice Activated so I don't have to hear the humming sound of the white noise.

I can't recommend it enough.

tjham
06-25-2006, 11:18 PM
>Just thought I would also mention--I'm a REALLY light sleeper
>and found I was waking up at every little noise--I muffle the
>monitor under a pillow at night!

My daughter did this with her baby monitor (put in under a pillow on the floor next to the bed) and forgot about it. My granddaughter went in the bedroom and came out very upset, saying there was a monster under the bed. She insisted it was going "hissssssssss". I went in to check and had to show her it was the monitor under the pillow and the fan in the baby's room making the sound!

essnce629
06-26-2006, 03:23 AM
Another vote for the Sony Baby Call! I LOVE the voice activated feature and the fact that it's water resistant so I can take it in the shower with me!

***Latia
Birth and Postpartum Doula

Conner 8/19/03 (homebirthed water baby)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months!