PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Thomas Train set I saw...

Babywhite
06-17-2006, 02:13 PM
DD likes to play with the trains at our doctor's office, but we have very little space in our current house for one.

I would like to get her a small Thomas set to start. I saw one at Michael's yesterday that was an oval. Has anyone bought this instead of the figure 8 set? Is it too small/plain/simple compared to the figure 8 ones?

Also, I'm not very familar with Thomas. Are these trains electric or "hand powered" and are all the parts wood or are some things plastic?

TIA for your help!

R.W.

Momof3Labs
06-17-2006, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't do anything less than a figure 8 set, honestly. The bridge/tunnel combination creates a lot of interest; a plain oval is, honestly, kinda boring!

Most of the Thomas wooden trains are "hand powered" though you can get a few characters in electric. The train bodies are wooden, but there are plastic parts (like the wheels and some of the faces).

SpaceGal
06-18-2006, 10:43 PM
I have to agree that anything less than a figure 8 being boring too. Not to trun your off from purchasing a set for your DD. I started DS on a figure 8 and I find it really boring but I plan to add to it over time to make it more interesting.

I saw that you mentioned that you don't have much space. You can get a more "exciting" set that takes up a small space. I looked on some web sites and found some dimensions on some of the sets and thought that might help you make a decision.

Boulder Mountain Set
25" x 30"

60th Anniversary Set
37" x 20"

Seasons on Sodor Set
20" x 27"

There are some other sets that probably have "small" footprints too but I can't find dimensions on those. I'm not sure how much you want to spend but with a coupon if you can find one of these sets at Michael's it wouldn't be too bad a deal for something to start with.

Hope this helps.

The Review Mommy
06-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Ditto, start with the figure eight set. ;)

Michaels is a great place to buy Thomas. You can use 50% off coupons from the Sunday newspaper.

There are two lines of Thomas. 'Take Along' (Die Cast) found at Target and the 'Wooden Railway' which you can find at Michaels. These two lines are *NOT* compatible. The Wooden Railway line is mostly all hand powered but does have battery powered engines and destinations with sounds and lights available.

My advice? Skip the battery powered stuff. IMO it is not high quality because there are *WAY* too many plastic parts.

HTH
Rebekah