PDA

View Full Version : Did/does anybody like the Leapfrog Little Touch Leap Pad?

MarisaSF
07-04-2006, 09:49 AM
We got this as a gift and DD just never took to it. I was thinking about selling it or giving it away and wondered if there was a market for it. Also wondering if others liked it and might have some suggestions about making it more fun for kids. DD is 21 months and it is rated for 6-36 months.

oliviasmomma
07-04-2006, 01:02 PM
I am so glad you posted this because we have the same problem. DD is 14 months and the only thing she likes to do is lay on it so it talks incessently!

heidiann
07-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Marisa,
I pm'd you.
Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

kochh2
07-04-2006, 07:35 PM
hi!
our DS got his when he was abotu the same age, and had the same response, but now that he is 23 mos. he loves it, except, he is fascinated with changing books... so i have to put away all but one book, or he just wants to keep switching back and forth-- It is much mroe worthwhile now, I think. So, maybe put it away for a little while, and brign it back out in a few (maybe 6??) months... the ages on it are up to like 36 months, so your Dc has quite a while left to get soemthing out of it!!

:)HTH

sarahsthreads
07-04-2006, 08:18 PM
All my DD (20 months) wants to do with hers is turn it on, turn it off, turn it on, turn it off...and repeat until I want to throw it out the window. It lives on top of the bookcase, comes down once a month, and goes back up there after about 15 minutes of torture until the next time I decide to try it. She also has no idea that she needs to touch the green "go" button every time she turns a page, and doesn't touch the things in the book hard enough to make them talk. I feel kind of guilty, because when my parents asked what to get Carrie for her first birthday I suggested this, and we haven't gotten any use out of it at all.

Regular old books, though...she loves those, and has several memorized enough to sort of "read" them to herself and to us. So I guess even if she does figure out how to play with the Leap Pad in the future it won't really do much for her.

I know that's not too helpful, just wanted to commiserate.
Sarah :)

MarisaSF
07-04-2006, 10:49 PM
It's so funny that there are others with my same problem. It was a gift from MIL who might notice if it was missing, so I need to keep it around a little while longer. DD would much rather read the books without the pad. MIL really wanted her to have one of these things. I agree the concept is cool, but from the moment I first saw it, I thought, "Um, that is NEVER going to work." I will try again in a few months and then will pass it along.

Moneypenny
07-05-2006, 09:56 AM
DD really likes to play with hers all by herself with no input from DH and I. She doesn't like to listen to the story but her favorite thing is to push the lightbulb and follow the directions. She's all about following directions these days (except when they come from DH and I!). She also likes to figure out the difference between settings 1-2-3 when you push the same item. So, she'll push the purple shoes on setting one, push the setting button, push the purple shoes again, push the setting button, push the purple shoes again, etc. It drives me a little nuts to listen to it, but it helps me get dinner on the table!

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

kellyotn
07-05-2006, 10:26 AM
I can't speak to the Little Touch, but we have the one after it, the My First Leap Pad and DD (and now DS) loves it. We got it when DD was just over two. She figured out the GO button immediately. She didn't get the games, but would just putter around the pages. Closer to three she could play the games, etc. I kinda dole the books out so they seem "new" after a week or so.

She'd take on with her in the stroller when I power-walked. Between it and regular books, she'd stay content for the whole hour plus.

My DS started fighting DD for it when he was about 18 months. I was surprised, but he figured out the GO button thing at 18 months. He LOVES the Dora and the Thomas the Train books. The others he'll play with but they clearly aren't as fun to him. Honestly, without having the sibling jealousy I doubt he'd like it at this young of an age, ya know?

I haven't really seen much of the Little Touch, but I'd think that for younger babies it would just be something to look at while mom plays with the buttons, then they'd get to an age where THEY want to do it, but maybe by that age the books aren't as attention grabbing? Like I said, its Dora and Thomas that the younger likes most - anything else and he's bored with it pretty quickly.

hudsonam
07-05-2006, 01:01 PM
It's so funny that you post this, because I *just* bought this yesterday for DS, after going back and forth about it because you just never know, and all he wanted to play with was the $4 ball I bought too! LOL! I think it's one of those things where if he doesn't get into it now (he's 18 months) he'll show interest in it later. This is the reason I never know what to buy him! But I feel like he needs some new toys. Such a dilemma. I got this based on his daycare teacher's recommendation because he loves to look at books and point to things so you'll tell him what it is.