PDA

View Full Version : Toy funk--recommendations for a 6-12 month old

tlw
07-05-2006, 08:54 PM
My DS is 6.5 months old and I'm finding it difficult to find interesting toys at this age. We're really into books, especially the textured ones. He also likes to "play" with the blocks--I build and he knocks them down. When I do searches for toys in this range, it's mostly stuffed animals and we don't need any more of those. And I already have a shape sorter and a ring stacker. Any suggestions/recommendations would be great!

Momof3Labs
07-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Stacking cups! There is an inexpensive set available at most BRU or Target stores. Good for tub play, or (of course) stacking.

How about a "first" truck or car to play with? Colin was playing with a little FP truck at about that age, or so.

C99
07-05-2006, 09:55 PM
At that age, almost anything can be a toy -- give him a wooden spoon from the kitchen or fill an empty water bottle with dried rice and he will be thrilled.

Stacking cups (you build, he'll knock it down), large balls, anything with large buttons to press.

AddiesMom
07-06-2006, 04:53 AM
If you have a lot of floor space the Fisher Price Play Wall. I put it out for playgroup and 3 other moms bought it right away.

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=900002&e=storeproduct&pid=32990&section=inf_outdoor

NatalieM
07-06-2006, 07:04 AM
At that age my DD really liked going through her kitchen cabinet that I stocked with tubberware. I swear that kept her occupied longer than any toy (and still does!). She also loves musical instruments. I recently got her the Parents musical set at Target and some egg shakers. HTH

jgriffin
07-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Like some PPs said, a lot of stuff E plays with are not "toys." Spoons, the lids off his bottles, old magazines (as long as he's not eating them). He is really into balls, so we have quite a few different sized ones. And I got some water ones from TRU last week (they are cloth, and meant for playing in the pool) that he loves because each one has a tag! I think in his mind there is nothing better than a ball with a tag. :)

We got E the LeapFrog Learn-Around Playground when he was about 7mo (right around when he was first standing). He still plays with it, and his cousin (22mo) liked playing with it when he was here. But it's big and plastic and somewhat noisy, so keep that in mind!

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00099HATQ.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1132599885_.jpg

HTH!

Jen

BeachBum
07-06-2006, 09:52 AM
My DS loves that Leapfrog table!! He started playing with it around 5 mo and at 10 mo it is still one of his favorites. I don't find it annoying.

I found that around 6 mo DS was a little bored with his toys too. The ones we had were too young, and the 9 month things were too old.

Things I found that he did enojoy were puppets, the sit and spin bugs, beach balls, and frog in a box (like a jack in the box but no winding).
I found good stuff at geniusbabies.com

jgriffin
07-06-2006, 09:55 AM
I find I constantly have the "Rockin to the numbers" tunes going through my head. :) Otherwise, it's fine.

hillview
07-06-2006, 07:15 PM
DS is 11 months ... he likes balls, the leap frog tables, the fisher price peekablocks sorter thing (we have the giraffe) he likes to drop things into things (if that makes sense), stacking cups (again with the putting things into things), ring stacker, shape sorter, this monster puppet (maybe because it involves ME playing too!), fisher price little people soft farm (random costco purchase which he LOVES), books, O-ball.
HTH
/hillary

brittone2
07-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Ikea has cute stacking cups for like $2-3? When DS was about 9 months old he first started crawling to reach the top "cup" which could be spun like a top (it was rounded on the bottom). He loved it.

I'd say at that age, save the money and don't go crazy on toys (I know, not easy). DS much preferred basic household items as several PPs said. Bowls, cups, measuring spoons, whisks, etc.

Put the money toward something that might have lasting value if you are going to buy something...maybe a walker wagon (the kind they can push once they get close to walking), playsilks, things that will have some appeal down the road.

brittone2
07-06-2006, 07:37 PM
DS liked the O ball and the Gertie ball.

Also, something like musical instruments (maraca, tambourine, drum...) would be fun and have lasting play value (although at this age he'd probably be thrilled with rice in a bottle with the lid glued shut as entertainment too, but if you really *have* to buy things, DS started enjoying instruments around 10 months I think).

tlw
07-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for all of your terrific suggestions! You reminded me of several 'homemade' options.