PDA

View Full Version : Kindermusik?

tlw
07-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Does/has anyone participated in a Kindermusik program? What is your opinion of it? And when do you think is the "best" age to enroll a child in a program like this? I'm not sure if DS is ready for that this fall--he'll be 8 months in August.

Thanks!

MarieBunny
07-08-2006, 02:13 PM
We have been doing Kindermusik since my DS was 7 months old! We love it and he is now 2 and in the Our Time toddler class. I think your DS is the perfect age to start. The earlier you start them, the sooner they start to develop rhythmn and can hold a steady beat. I have seen the kids in our class grow up and they are all starting to hold a beat, sing, etc! It's awesome to watch and a fun thing to do together. The CDs are great too. They are not annoying at all and they expose kids to a variety of music styles, genres and world music as well as new and classic kid songs. Do it!

dules
07-08-2006, 02:13 PM
We started Music Together when DD was about 18 months. There were several infants in the class, and the class after ours was specifically for the little, little babies (so cute!).

I don't know about Kindermusik but Music Together is happy to have them very young.

Best,
Mary

holliam
07-08-2006, 03:26 PM
We started with Music Together at 8 months, and we love it. I considered several, including Kindermusik, but we are very happy with Music Together.

Holli

mudder17
07-08-2006, 03:57 PM
We did a music program with a woman who was a former Kindermusik instructor and Kaya loved it. But we didn't start until Kaya was 2. But there are kids there anywhere from your DS' age and up (some even younger, although they tend to be observers for their older siblings). The nice thing is that the woman encourages the kids to join in, but doesn't force anything. Also, where we have it, afterwards the kids can stay and play (it's an indoor, three-room play area).

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 28 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

cheyennemom
07-08-2006, 09:03 PM
We have participated in a few music programs including Kindermusik. We have also tried Music Together, Musicgarden, and a local program. At different times with different kids we have utilized programs that fit our schedule. Overall, I like the Kindermusik curriculm the best. Their at home materials are fantastic and allow you to really continue the experience at home. I also like the music they use (some curriculms more then others). I loved all of the baby classes, especially Dream Pillow. Kindermusik with an infant is fun!
All that said, all of these classes are instrutor dependent! Take a free preview class and try it out.

lilycat88
07-08-2006, 09:48 PM
DD started Kindermusik as a 14 month old in the Our Time class. She was the youngest one in the class by many months but we still had a blast. We did 2 "semesters" of Our Time and will return to Our Time in the fall when she is 25 month old. We loved it and so did she. We still have the take home CDs in rotation in our cars and DD will on a daily basis sing Kindermusik songs out of the blue. Her "goodnight" song is an adaptation of the "goodbye" song from Kindermusik.

racerl1
07-09-2006, 10:03 AM
I started DS in Kindermusik at 6 months. He loves it. I was a little hesitant, because he was by far the youngest in his class. However, his teacher is great, and she gave me alternative ways to do some of the activities with a younger baby. We only needed alternatives for a few classes and DS was able to do everything like the other children. Our teacher is VERY active, so I think that's why our class works so well. I went to a dfferent class with my nephew a few years ago, and it was very sedentary. I would not have enrolled DS in class if it was like that one. You should be able to go for a free class and see how you think you and DC would like it before you commit to it.

secchick
07-09-2006, 10:56 AM
We just finished our first session of Kindermusic (Village class). DD is 4 months and she was the only one in the class that session. It was a lot of fun, even with such a young baby. Sge loves when I sing to her and the songs are easy, but a much greater variety than the normal kid songs. I also learned some things that she absolutely loves, like playing peekaboo with the shiny see-through scarves. some of the songs she like so much she smiles and giggles every time we do them. I did a free Gymboree class and I think we are going to stick with Kindermusic in the fall.

tlw
07-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input! As a result of your positive feedback, I've registered DS for the fall semester of Kindermusik!

Thanks so much! I really appreicate all of you!

smilla653
07-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Several posters have talked about both Kindermusik and Music Together. And "village" versus "our time" classes. Can anyone explain the differences/describe the classes a little bit more?

Sorry to hijack the thread!

lilycat88
07-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Can't comment on the Music Together.

The Kindermusik Village classes are for the youngest kids (up to 1.5 years old). Our Time is the next class for 1.5 year olds to 3 year olds.

Description of classes:

http://www.kindermusik.com/parents/parent2.asp

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

holliam
07-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Music Together is a mixed-age class. Our instructor has a masters in music and is just fabulous. My daughter loves her and the same group of children have been in the class together for the past year so they are all comfortable with each other too.

It just had a different "feel" to it than Kindermusik. I can't really explain it well. Go to both their websites, and the "feel" is immediately noticeably different. Our comfort zone was just with Music Together.

Holli

mommysammi
07-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I agree with Holli, the feel of Kindermusik and Music Together is different. DS started going to Music Together at 14 months old. He loves it. We previewed several teachers before selecting a class, which helped a lot because no two teachers are alike. If you get a chance, definitely preview first.