PDA

View Full Version : What is the best brand of baby swing?

elisap4406
07-11-2006, 12:27 AM
I am looking at getting a swing for my 3 month old daughter, but I am not to sure where I should start. Almost every swing I have seen has so many gizmos (toys, mobiles, music choices, a snack tray??!). I did see this basic looking Evenflo Rock a Bye swing at Target http://www.evenflo.com/Homepage/ProductList/tabid/203/navid/4/Default.aspx?categoryid=68ef7e07-a7d1-41f8-8ac3-4f5302239710
, but I didn't even know that Evenflo made swings. Does anyone have one? And how do they rate with Graco, and Fisher Price. If you have a swing, which one is your favorite?

Thanks in Advance!

Annie (mom to Elisa)

deannanb
07-11-2006, 08:27 AM
These days I'm a "If I had know that then..." kind of person...

Find a used one... wash the cover.
At 3 months she might use it for another 3 monhts.

DS didn't like the swing at all...

Find a swing that reclines.

we had the fisherprice ocean wonder.. and it was a pain to take the tray on and off.... as long as ds was strapped in, he was fine

He did like the fish and lights starting around 6 months... when he was too big to be in the swing.

check out babiesrus for comments

set81616
07-11-2006, 09:52 AM
I'd second the used but if you think you will use it a lot there is now a FP that you plug in. So worth the saving in batteries. We used 4 DD every 2 weeks.
Shannon

maurenemm
07-11-2006, 12:07 PM
I love our fisher Price aquarium swing. My favorite feature is how you can turn the seat to rock front to back or side to side. It made it so DS got less bored with the swing and we could change up his view. And, with his acid reflux - we found the side-to-side rocking best. It also has a bigger seat than some of the swings out there - so he didn't outgrow it as fast.

We borrowed the swing from my SIL and so far it has held up well through 2 babies.

vdrake71
07-11-2006, 12:33 PM
I also have the fisher Price aquarium swing. My first DS loved it and the second DS mildly enjoyed it. Defintely try to find a use one or borrow one because the life span that you daughter will use it is usually 6 months and they take a lot of space.

elisap4406
07-11-2006, 12:48 PM
thanks for the suggestions. A mom in a local mom's group that I post at also offered to sell me hers for $50.00. It is the FP Flutterbye Dreams swing so I am going to check it out. Keeps the rants and raves coming!

clc053103
07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
DS had FP Aquarium and Papasan Swings (and also a FP aquarium take along swing). I recommend all three. Liked the FP over the graco b/c the graco mobile just sits there- doesn't spin unless you do the spinning. DS was in love with his swing- used it for 7 months until I had to break him of the habit b/c he wouldn't nap anywhere else!

Ceepa
07-11-2006, 03:07 PM
As pp said, you probably don't have a ton of use time left so I wouldn't buy a brand new one if at all possible. Can you borrow one?

We have the FP Cuddle Ducks one. We saw the FP aquarium one while shopping around but didn't like the flashing lights for a newborn so this is the stripped down version of that one, I guess.

It pivots front to back and side to side and the little ducks can spin around on the top. In this eBay picture I found (not mine, BTW) you can't see it but there is a little round mirror in the middle of the ducks so babies can look up and see it.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34669.jpg

Both our kids spent time in it and it was a nice item for the short time we used it. The swing did move quickly even on the lowest setting so we just weighted the seat from behind a bit to slow it down.

-Ceepa

elisap4406
07-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I ended up getting a Graco one (this model has a remote, three speeds, and a toy bar and that's it; no music!!) from another mother in my mother's group for free! It was given to her and her son is 5/1/2 months old, but really tall so he outgrew it already! Hopefully she will like it.

bethie_73
07-12-2006, 09:58 PM
I liked that he could swing different directions. It was a gift from my in laws for their first grandchild. He really liked it, but didn't want to be in it after 3m. He began trying to climb out if I didn't have him buckled in.

I liked it and it was helpful, but didn't last too long for us. Get a used one if possible.

Ceepa
07-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Don't you love when the thing you need comes to you for free! :) I hope you get a lot of use (and peaceful time) from the new swing!!

-Ceepa