PDA

View Full Version : How long did your baby use the swing?

MimiSirois
07-11-2006, 09:07 AM
For those of you who've had babies who enjoyed their swing (my first one didn't), how old were they when they stopped using it?

TIA!
Michele

set81616
07-11-2006, 09:49 AM
DS was a swing addict until 6 1/2 - 7 months. We had to really work with him to sleep in the crib instead of the swing and once he would we stopped using the swing unless he woke up early and we needed more sleep. Then he would go into the swing until I got up. DH would still be in bed. DS is 9 months and he hasn't used it for at least 6 wks.
Shannon

Momof3Labs
07-11-2006, 09:55 AM
DS1 stopped at 6 months (he was never really a fan) when he was grabbing the bars of our Graco open top swing.

DS2 is still swinging away - we have a Graco open top upstairs in our bathroom so I can shower, and a FP cradle swing downstairs.

Molly C
07-11-2006, 10:51 AM
My DD stopped using it regularly at about 4.5-5 months. Although she has always slept in her crib at night, her swing was the only place she would nap until about four months, and even after I started her napping in the crib, she still preferred the swing for quite a while.

We put the swing away for a month or so, but in the last week or two I have brought it out again for her to play in while I do chores, and she is now 6.5 months. At this point we really don't need it or use it regularly, but it is nice to have as a diversion, since she uses it so infrequently now - now it's kind of a novelty for her.

maurenemm
07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I think the instruction manual on our swing said to stop using it after baby can sit up on his/her own. Well, DS (who is almost 9 months) can sit up on his own but we still use it - usually just for a few minutes each day while I'm busy gathering up stuff for daycare in the morning. DS is content to sit in there and doesn't try to get out - but some babies do and that is probably a sign to stop using the swing. My mom had a different swing at her house - and at 6 months DS barely fit it in.

I think we'll put the swing away soon because we use it less and less.

JTsMom
07-11-2006, 01:05 PM
About 7.5 months, and he would have kept using it if I would have let him. I was worried about safety at that point.

Raidra
07-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Lachlann took every nap in his swing until he was about 6.5 to 7 months old. We stopped because he was getting too big to be in it swaddled and unbuckled. He rarely used it unless he was napping, though.

He did sleep in it once or twice when he was sick, and needed to sleep upright. I slept on the couch, and it was the best sleep we'd both gotten in a week or so. :)