PDA

View Full Version : Another Kinderzeat question - Update: Help me pick a color

julieakc
07-13-2006, 10:09 PM
UPDATE:

I've convinced DH (ok, nagged him into agreeing) on the Kinderzeat.

Now I'm torn as to what color to get. Do I get Natural because it matches our kitchen cabinets (although dining table is adjacent, not in kitchen) or blueberry because DH and I both like the color? We're planning on getting a new dining room table/chairs in the near future but haven't decided exactly what so I can't match to that yet.
DH says it doesn't have to match since it is a "piece of kids furniture".

Pros/cons on color vs. natural?

Thanks again!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DS has apparently decided he no longer needs a highchair. We've only been able to get him in it a couple of times over the last couple of weeks. He wants to sit on the chair like we do....refuses a booster. I've been letting him do this, but it's not ideal because he's not really tall enough to sit at the chair so I've been thinking about the Kinderzeat. I know many of you have taken the plunge and are glad you did. I don't mind spending the money if he'll actually use it, so here's my question....

How receptive was your child to the Kinderzeat after refusing the highchair and/or booster?

I don't want to fork over $200 and then have him refuse that too!

Also...anyone know of any current deals on it?

TIA,

brittone2
07-13-2006, 10:38 PM
DS hated the high chair from early on, and it got increasingly worse once he was over about 13-14 months of age. We started using the KZ when he was 16 or 17 months I think?

He liked it right away. I think he hated having the tray restraining him w/ the high chair.

I did briefly try a booster, but it just didn't work that well for us. We could have survived with it I'm sure, but it just wasn't working that well. I also have Parson style dining chairs that are upholstered and slip covered, and with the booster food still got on them, which was kind of a pain.

Part of the appeal for the KZ is that he likes to climb in/out on his own. It is really nice now that he's coming up on 2.5. I can tell him to get in it and get ready for lunch as I'm finishing up the final prep, etc.

For us, it has worked out great and I actually anticipate buying a 2nd one for our second child despite the hefty price tag. It gets used sooo often and if they like it, it has great longevity (can be used by older kids at the table, can be used as a computer or desk chair down the road, etc.). I'm short and it works well as a step stool for me (although I'm sure the safety warnings advise against this ;) )

If you can test drive a booster, you might try that first if you haven't already and see how it works out. If you are happy w/ a booster arrangement, you might not need to shell out the money for a KZ, kwim? We just never enjoyed the whole booster setup here, but I did try it.

I have no idea who has the best price right now...I think greatbeginnings has had codes in the past but i"m not sure if there is one that works right now. There have been a few recent posts...if no one knows where the best deal is, try searching the archives for recent posts about KZs (or Tripp Trapps) in the Bargains and Around the House forums.

Momof3Labs
07-14-2006, 07:00 AM
my ds loved the kz after boycotting the high chair! and in fact, every child who comes over wants to sit in it too,

Beth568
07-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Well, we have two kids and two KZ. Both of my girls got pretty fussy in the high chair around 16-18 months. We tried a booster with my first, but she worked hard to get it off the chair and it scratched up my furniture, and then food got stuck under it...mess. :(

Both of my kids transitioned beautifully to the KZ. We bought them in the natural finish, which matches our other dining chairs, and so the girls think that it's cool to have their own "big" chairs that are special but don't look like they're for babies. And the footrest was a big help for DD1, who has some sensory issues and is pretty squirmy when sitting unless she can have her feet on something solid. She also uses hers when she wants to sit at my desk and look at pictures on the computer with me, play a game, etc.

I think they're well worth the money - and, IMO, they look nice in our kitchen, unlike a booster!

1964pandora
07-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi. We got our Kinderzeat yesterday, and I was worried about the same thing you're worried about. My son is 20 months old, and has been rejecting his highchair for about 2 months. No worries about the Kinderzeat. He loved it immediately, and I'm having a hard time getting him to get out of it! He likes to climb up in it and play with toys on the table. No problems eating in it either.

I'm also SOOO glad that I decided to go with the blueberry color. I had a very difficult time making that decision. We have a totally neutral color palette in our house.

The best deal I know of at this time is Great Beginnings with the GBBABY code. Go ahead and get one! It's my favorite purchase in a long while. Susan

julieakc
07-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks ladies. I'm so glad to here that even if they were refusing the high chair the kids like the Kinderzeat. Now I just have to convince DH! Most things I just buy without asking, but not something this pricey and big!

And thanks for the code...that's just want I needed!

julieakc
07-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Deleted - changed to an edit instead.

jrn90
07-15-2006, 11:01 AM
I have the Blueberry chair and love the color- Our kitchen set is oak- I wanted DS's chair to be different- I also anticipate using the chair in the den for the computer someday so color matching the table wasn't a must. Our kitchen is painted a light blue and there is blue in the window treatments and rug under the table- so blue was a good choice for us- plus DH also liked the blue color. Hope this helps!

jwozy
07-15-2006, 11:27 AM
We have 2 of the kinderzeat and our dining room furniture is all in natural but we went ahead and bought one in lime and one in rasberry and have not regretted the decision. Yes the seat stand out but the colors are bright and beautiful and the kids love them. I think you should just get what color you like the best.

julieakc
07-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks ladies. I just ordered the Blueberry!

1964pandora
07-15-2006, 08:17 PM
I'll bet you're going to love the blueberry. We do! Let us know how you like it when it arrives!

Since I was afraid my son might reject it, we set it up and let him discover it on his own. I was afraid that if we hyped it up like "WOW! Look at your new chair!!!" etc. he might reject it!

Susan

DS Francis Xavier ("Frank") 9/29/04
DS John Patrick 5/3/06

spanannie
07-18-2006, 08:33 PM
We have the Blueberry and the Red and love them both.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34759.jpg

julieakc
07-18-2006, 09:51 PM
How pretty!

My blueberry is scheduled for delivery on Friday, assuming of course that UPS doesn't change that prediction.

1964pandora
07-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Like I said, I have the blueberry, and LOVE it, and now after seeing that photo, I'm going to order the red for my youngest son. Susan

spanannie
07-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks! It is a fun combination.