PDA

View Full Version : Minimum size for outdoor playset

niccig
07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
DH and I set up DS's sandbox in the back yard and started to talk about a playset. It would mean taking out landscaping, mostly perennial shhrubs, and a flagstone path, but we could clear an area that is about 22' x 22'. But part of this area needs to be a path to the garden shed. Is that too small for a playset?

Thanks,
Nicci

dules
07-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Ideally, you want to have 6 feet on all sides of the playset clear. However I see lots and lots of playsets that do not have that much, and a lot of people seemed to think we were nutty for doing it that way. We had the space so wanted to.

If for example you get a set with a swing beam or ladder and that ladder ends at a slanted ladder or A-frame, I see a lot of sets that don't have 6 feet from that ladder or A-frame to the fence/back of yard etc. Also you want to have extra space in front of or behind swings, i.e. no walls, trees, etc. where a child swinging high or falling/jumping off could get hurt.

I'm not sure which brands you are looking at but Cedarworks will definitely help you design a set that fits your space and your kids' needs. I would assume that Rainbow would as well, and both of these companies have smaller-yard solutions in their catalogs. These are the only two we looked at so I can't speak to any others.

Good luck!

Best,
Mary